ReefCleaners.org

My LED design is screwed!

Ryan110484

You're right, the pictures are a disgrace, but great job with the LEDs...if that is 30-40percent, wow, I wonder how bright it would be at 80-90 percent. On your camera, press the button with the lightening symbol, that should give you the option of (lightening) or (XlighteningX).

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ryan110484
Thats a pretty sweet build. If you don't mind my asking, how much did the total thing cost you to build?

The Cost for everything so far is 976.08 for all parts and shipping. Shipping alone was 63.14.

You're right, the pictures are a disgrace, but great job with the LEDs...if that is 30-40percent, wow, I wonder how bright it would be at 80-90 percent. On your camera, press the button with the lightening symbol, that should give you the option of (lightening) or (XlighteningX).

I turned the flash off, but whenever I do that I can't get the camera still enough to get a focused picture. I'll work on it a little more. I have a tripod but I have yet to use it.

It's hard to go back to anything but LEDs now isn't it? ;) People don't understand just how different it looks unit you see it first hand. The effort put in to this makes it totally worth it.

Ryan110484
It's hard to go back to anything but LEDs now isn't it? ;) People don't understand just how different it looks unit you see it first hand. The effort put in to this makes it totally worth it.

After the money that I put into it there is now way I will switch.... But money aside I will never go back to MH (lookwise, we'll see how it does with growth and coral health) I did have a pretty crappy MH but dang! these LEDs are my new best friend!

Well done..... Love the whole work, are you using Ardunio for dimming if not then how are you dimming your LEDs? There is someone who has written a simple code in "C" to do dimming functions while using dimmable buckpucks and Ardunio.

Ryan110484
Well done..... Love the whole work, are you using Ardunio for dimming if not then how are you dimming your LEDs? There is someone who has written a simple code in "C" to do dimming functions while using dimmable buckpucks and Ardunio.

I am just using 5K ohm pots to control the brightness right now and a timer for on and off through the day. I might go for the arduino at some point but don't think I am ready for a headache like that. I don't know any programming so I haven't decided if I want to deal with it or not.

coolwaters

yeah my dad is trying to move me into a larger tank. i already have a 250mh and i dont feel like using that anymore...all LED now.

Ryan110484

Just because I am addicted to pictures when looking at different projects here are some more....full tank shots just taken today.

IMG_8145.jpg

IMG_8146.jpg

IMG_8149.jpg

IMG_8150.jpg

IMG_8151.jpg

IMG_8152.jpg

You must excuse the wires hanging in the pictures, I mounted some 5mm LEDs for moonlights and haven't attached the wires yet.

IMG_8153.jpg

IMG_8154.jpg

IMG_8155.jpg

Growth update- I shifted some of the corals around with the new light, so some were a bit moody. You can see some difference in colors already as well as the shape of the soft corals has changed dramatically.

FingerLeather.jpg

Greenmonticap.jpg

Mille-zoos.png

Mushrooms.jpg

OctoFrogspawn.png

PurpletipFrogspawn.png

StarPolyps.jpg

ToadstoolLeather.jpg

Trumpets.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Yamato: your GSP just needs to acclimate. I have mine at the top of the tank and it is doing great.

Hey Ryan, what are the dimensions on your heat sinks? I am building a 60 gallon and wanted to know if you where able to get away with the 8.5"w from heatsinkusa.com?

Yamato: your GSP just needs to acclimate. I have mine at the top of the tank and it is doing great.

Hey Ryan, what are the dimensions on your heat sinks? I am building a 60 gallon and wanted to know if you where able to get away with the 8.5"w from heatsinkusa.com?

They are the 8.5" heatsinks. I would have liked them to be a little wider so that I could have spaced the LEDs a little further apart from front to back, but it works. Its just very shaded in the back top of the tank unless I move the fixture 8-12" above the tank.

HeatsinkUSA is bringing out a 10" wide, but they are very expensive in comparison to the other sizes. I know that's not much help to you, but it's just so everyone knows :)

• 4 months later...

So, I'm curious... now that you've had your LEDs running for a while (assuming nothing has happened to them), how do you like them? Is everything growing well and doing well?

I'm going to be doing actinic supplements for my 24g NanoCube, but I'm considering going with LEDs for other things and thought this might be a good place to ask. :)

Thanks!

Brandon

So, I'm curious... now that you've had your LEDs running for a while (assuming nothing has happened to them), how do you like them? Is everything growing well and doing well?

I'm going to be doing actinic supplements for my 24g NanoCube, but I'm considering going with LEDs for other things and thought this might be a good place to ask. :)

Thanks!

Brandon

Love the thing so far. The colors I get from the lights are amazing and all the polyps on everything are always so full. Growth is definitely better. My one complaint would have to be how much it weighs. I would prefer that it were lighter. Other than that the thing couldn't be better.

its weird my GSP is responding differently everyday. but once it takes off it grows like a dry hot forest fire.

i think its time for some growth update pics. =P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
WOW 84LEDs isnt that a lil much?? I thought like only 54-60 would be enough for a 75

I probably could have taken 1 off of each end of each row since I think it lights that glass more than anything, but I would have moved them to the back of the tank which I don't think gets light, but just never looks to me like its bright enough. Things are still growing but its just more of a visual thing for me.

Archived