ReefCleaners.org

LED MeanWell power supply?

zingtaw

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going to hook up my Meanwell to only 6 XR-E's. The best way is in series, correct? The Meanwell is constant current so the voltage will automatically adjust to around 22V output (3.7*6) correct? I don't want to fry my array.

Also, turning the internal pot all the way counterclockwise reduces the current to near 1A, correct? My multimeter is cheap and I don't want to rely on it.

thelovablebum
I'm going to hook up my Meanwell to only 6 XR-E's. The best way is in series, correct? The Meanwell is constant current so the voltage will automatically adjust to around 22V output (3.7*6) correct? I don't want to fry my array.

Correct

Correct

Also, turning the internal pot all the way counterclockwise reduces the current to near 1A, correct? My multimeter is cheap and I don't want to rely on it.

Incorrect, The internal pot will adjust further then 1A. Your going to need a new multimeter that can handle over 1A, and with it on the amp setting hook it up in series with the LEDs. Also always disconnect the power to the diver when disconnecting the LEDs or changing the multimeter.

Edit- should also mention that the voltage that you send to your dimming circuit will also determine where the internal pot adjustment will end up. So apply full voltage to the dimming circuit then adjust the internal pot.

You should be able to just turn it all the way CCW. Bottom end of the current limit is 975mA (1.3A -25%). I don't think 25mA will make much difference ;)

thelovablebum

I think the internal pot goes beyond that limit, but I'm cheating the dimming circuit with a 9v battery. Anyways with the fall 9v on the dimming circuit the internal pot will adjust from 1.29A - 0.15A

Allright so is there anything that would stop us from using a 9v power supply and adjusting the brightness of the drivers with the internal pot? Just curious if it is a bad idea to do this or if it would be just fine.

The internal pot can only dim it down to about 975mA. But yeah, if you want that 25mA dim then it's just the thing for you :)

In other news I just connected the pwm control pins to a 10v powersupply and that at least lit the LEDs for me. I can't be bothered with pwm just yet :)

Allright so is there anything that would stop us from using a 9v power supply and adjusting the brightness of the drivers with the internal pot? Just curious if it is a bad idea to do this or if it would be just fine.

The internal pot doesn't give you the adjustment you are looking for. They are also not designed to be repeatedly adjusted. Set the max current once and forget about it. I promise, I'll have the cleaned up circuit posted soon. I'll even have oscilloscope plots posted too, as my new USB scope shows up today :)

Got the new one from Link Instruments (Sparkfun is selling them). Pretty good for the money. It doesn't have a super high sampling rate or frequency response, but it will work perfectly for anything I could ever need. Having an 8 channel logic analyzer and function generator built in doesn't hurt either :)

The internal pot doesn't give you the adjustment you are looking for. They are also not designed to be repeatedly adjusted. Set the max current once and forget about it. I promise, I'll have the cleaned up circuit posted soon. I'll even have oscilloscope plots posted too, as my new USB scope shows up today :)

Yup. For me, I ended up using one of those adjustable power supplies from Radio Shack. It was under $15 and gives me 4 different settings I can run the lights at:) Here is one that is similar, but the one I got wasn't as expensive.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.js...oductId=3366426

Ok now I understand. I misread theluvablebum's post. So the internal pot should be turned all the way down so that the max current that will ever run through the leds will be 975mA. Am I understanding this right?

I know you're busy with everything else. I'm just a little impatient on the dimmer circuit. Using an adjustable power supply will work for now. Heck I don't even have the hanging stand for the fixture done yet so I'm not in a rush for the dimmer anyways.

Ok now I understand. I misread theluvablebum's post. So the internal pot should be turned all the way down so that the max current that will ever run through the leds will be 975mA. Am I understanding this right?

I know you're busy with everything else. I'm just a little impatient on the dimmer circuit. Using an adjustable power supply will work for now. Heck I don't even have the hanging stand for the fixture done yet so I'm not in a rush for the dimmer anyways.

You need to test to be sure, mine aren't all the way turned down and I had it running at 950mA. That was with a 9V power supply.

You are correct. Circuit will be coming soon.

How did you connect that to the meanwell? You have a picture?

I don't have a pic but it's very easy. It connects to the DIM + and - wires on the drivers. + to + and -to-!

I don't have a pic but it's very easy. It connects to the DIM + and - wires on the drivers. + to + and -to-!

Cool, thanks for the reply. I was nervous to have the Meanwell plugged into the wall in 2 different places.

Anyone looked at how to control ELN-60-48D with Arduino?

Looks like "P" model can b cotrolled easier, but I ordered 4 "D" drivers because want something simple to run them before going into something more complex.

Hi Evil

I am wanting to order a few Meanwells for this setup too and Im still a little unsure about the dimming. I noticed that darkdevil made a buckpuck dimmer for his setup. Do you remember if that was 0-10V PWM? would it work with the meanwells?

Paul

He used a microcontroller to do 5v PWM, which isn't compatible directly with the Meanwell drivers.

You will need to make a few decisions before commiting to which model Meanwell you want. First, are you going to want to control these with a controller of some description. If no, you can get either the "D" or "P" model. The "D" is a little easier to get running, but both will work fine for manual dimming. If you are going to control them, you need to decide with what method. If you are going to do your own controller based off of something like an Arduino, the "P" is a better choice for PWM dimming. If you are going to use an off the shelf controller like an Reefkeeper Lite/Elite or a Profilux, then the "D" is the best choice. There are ways and means to make any version work with any control scheme, but these are the easiest ways.

How much current does the control input on the meanwells pull? I couldn't see the details of that in the spec sheet, and was wondering how big of a transistor I need.

Archived