Top Shelf Aquatics

Flooded My Living Room (please help) (plumbing problem)

w1dude

I bought a 40g half cylinder with a 10g sump 2 days ago. Everything was running perfect when I picked it up. I got home set it up and it ran fine over night. Around 4 the next day My dad called and said there was water everywhere.

When I got home there was only about 20 gallons of water in there. My dad had unplugged the pump, but when i plugged it back up it wouldn't work.

It is a quiet one external pump. It looked old and I cant find a pic like it.

WHAT WENT WRONG? It ran fine then just went everywhere

sumpadump2.jpg

sumpadump3.jpg

sumpadump.jpg

DSCN0001.jpg

DSCN0002.jpg

can you at least describe how the plumbing is especially the feed going to the sump so we can better asses the situation. the anti siphon hole is put on the pipe at a level you want the siphon to stop.

can you at least describe how the plumbing is especially the feed going to the sump so we can better asses the situation. the anti siphon hole is put on the pipe at a level you want the siphon to stop.

sorry for being stupid but which pipe?

Was water overflowing from the sump or from the display?

If it was from the display then your return was not functioning correctly or blocked. If it was your sump then your pump probably failed and when the water started flowing back into the sump it caused a vacuum to suck water out of your display.

how deep is the return (the pipe going inside the aquarium from the pump)? if the pipe is submerged halfway in the aqurium and theres no hole on the pipe about 1in from the water level, then when the pump quits working or a power failure the water will siphon back to the sump. if you have a liffle hole (about 2small ones in case one gets clogged) on your feed then as the water goes down to the hole it will suck air and lose siphon.

post pics of display also.

neanderthalman
sumpadump2.jpg

sumpadump3.jpg

sumpadump.jpg

DSCN0001.jpg

DSCN0002.jpg

Can't see any glaring issues from those photos. You're missing a hose clamp on the intake to your pump, but no biggie. Wouldn't cause a leak like this.

You're going to have to look for evidence (moisture, salt creep) of what was wet and what was not. Rule of thumb - the highest point is the water source.

ID that, and we might be able to figure this out.

You could have a leak on the drain. In the second pic, it looks like you have clear tubing connected to a piece of PVC pip with no barb and just a clamp is holding it on. With the weight of the hanging pipe filled with water it might pull out. What was the water level in the display and sump?

You could have a leak on the drain. In the second pic, it looks like you have clear tubing connected to a piece of PVC pip with no barb and just a clamp is holding it on. With the weight of the hanging pipe filled with water it might pull out. What was the water level in the display and sump?

From what i can see it was the sump overflowing because it was very high when i got home and the display was low and wasnt wet from water coming out. SO I would say the sump. I will try to get pics of the display

you need a check valve. if your pump failed and you don't have one the display will dump into the sump and flood everything unless your sump is big enough to hold all the extra, which 10g in this case isn't enough. the water level will equalize in this case when when the water level in the tank is BELOW the return nozzles and the backsiphon is broken. the check valve prevents this, as it only allows water to flow in one direction. PLEASE don't buy a spring loaded check valve, or you'll have other issues due to it rusting. get a flapper type valve.

if you woulda have done a FW test outside you coulda found this issue b4 the indoor flood. ALWAYS test plumbing outside, NEVER assume you did it right (or someone else did for that matter)

sumpadump.jpg

DSCN0002.jpg

is it possible that the kink in the return caused it? it doesn't look completely blocked in those pics, but perhaps it was worse before all the water flooded.

QUOTE (Scott Riemer @ Jan 19 2009, 11:10 AM) *

laugh.gif

what other ways can i "ass" you lol

wow, dude thats a nice way of saying thank you after pm'ing me at 7am asking for help

i hope the diagram i sent before i saw this helped you and i really am not surprised your aquarium flooded coz of the way you think.

heres the pic for other people to learn.

Untitled.jpg

neanderthalman
wow, dude thats a nice way of saying thank you after pm'ing me at 7am asking for help

i hope the diagram i sent before i saw this helped you and i really am not surprised your aquarium flooded coz of the way you think.

149xrhk.jpg

Wow, butthurt much?

Untitled.jpg

Just a little joking around on my part, no harm intended. :flower:

Archived