Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

250W MH: Will it melt my HOB Refuge?

EJ7B18C1

I am going to pick up a 250W HQI Pendant setup tomorrow from a fellow Reefer and was wondering if anyone that has this or a Metal Halide setup have problems with it melting HOB Filters or HOB Refugiums? I'd like to setup a HOB Refugium "IF" permitted by the 250W HQI. It will be hung about 6-8 inches from the water line.Would the heat eventually warp the Acrylic? ???

you should hang it higher than 6 inches, thats the first thing. It may warp the acrylic...it may not. Depending on how hot you let it run. Do you plan on running any additional fans?

Yes, I will be running a fan but first need to see how to mount one since there's going to be no canopy on the tank. Most likely the fan will be mounted on my wall somehow.

Heres a link to the tank I have. It's the exact same one that this person has.

LINK

and you want 250watt MH lights for that...why. That is overkill man. Well, you will need to find a way to wire up some fans and blow air across the tank creating a draft. You do realize that your tank, no matter how many fans you run, is going to get extremely hot.

It may Warp the acrylic on that 10-12 gallon. You may need a chiller unless you house stays at 70 all the time. I would put the 250 on a 20H or 25H and use a 150 HQI for that 10-12 gallon. Even with a 150 you will need Ventilation. Besides, what are you growing Table Acros?

Archived