SaltCritters.com

First timer 5.5 with fuge' build

YankeePete

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know you really have to love local reefers and these forums. Through the forums I have found some pretty nice deals on finding livestock local. It sure beats having to spend $35-$50 to have things shipped plus the cost of livestock. I found the Purple Deaths and Nuke Greens and baby ric from my last posting from a local guy. I payed $30 total for 4 or 3 polyps of each paly and the ric. These would have been $10 or more each polyp online. Just last week I found another local guy who said he had a 4 polyp frag of Jokers he would sell for $20.00. I went to his house and it turned out was a 6 polyp frag and he gave me some other stuff for free!!!! Just some real nice people.

• Like 2
:( you make me sad. I bet noone on this site even lives around me to trade/buy frags like that :(

Join the club. Sometimes I dream of living in a large city simply for the benefits in reef keeping. Alaska seems more and more secluded every time I look for more frags. :tears:

I'm liking the tank. Think you could take a new FTS?

Join the club. Sometimes I dream of living in a large city simply for the benefits in reef keeping. Alaska seems more and more secluded every time I look for more frags. :tears:

Really? Can't you just go to the coast and pick up some tropical invertebrates?

When I first started the tank I was doing weekly water changes of one gallon. I started going bi weekly water changes of the same amount and found my zoas started budding alot more. I then went to doing water changes every 3 weeks and a coupel of zoa colonies started growing like weeds. The down side of the increase in nutrients resulted in a hair algae problem though. I have fragged my deepwater zoas 3 times and each frag was around 20 polyps each. I have these orangish zoas with a starburst in them that I started out with 3 polyps and have fragged them 4 times. The mother colony is at least 25 polyps and I frag off whatever starts growing off the rock onto the sandbed. I think I get around 20 polyps each time I frag it as well.

Those yellow zooanthids are awesome!

Really? Can't you just go to the coast and pick up some tropical invertebrates?

If I had a cold water tank maybe I could find somewhere to go. But even then, all the coastline near where I live is mudflats that seem to like trapping humans who walk on them :P . The tide goes in and out so fast that there's not much living .

• 1 year later...

The tank is now well over 2 years old and other than the tank that got cracked a year ago all is well. I am still only keeping softies at this till. Zoas are really in interest at this point. Here is a new picture(sorry just a quick shot) of the main rock that is the center piece of my tank. Moving forward with the tank I do want to up grade the lighting at some point.

Picture067.jpg

• Like 2
  • 7 months later...

It's had to believe that I have had this tank now for 3 years. How time flies! While the road has not been perfect and has had a couple bumps along the way it truly has been an exciting ride so far. I have lost some frags and have others that grow so fast I am fragging them every few weeks. I did break the front glass and had to do a fast rebuild on the first tank I built.

Most importantly my in tank AIO wall has worked very well. It allows an AIO build without losing so much view able display area. Granted I am thinking about starting up either another 5.5 or a 10 gallon tank with the more common end wall fuge' concept many fellow reefers' are using. But am thinking hard about a 20L tank too based on the AIO Fuge" type I used on this 5.5. I plan to draw up the designs this week and machine everything out on my CNC routers and then decide which I want to go with.

• Like 2
Builder Anthony

maybe in spring you will want to set up a trade i basicly grow things out i have the purple one you have in your tank but not the others

I really believe that with a little research and taking the time to gather the right parts even a complete novice can successfully set up and run a small nano reef as their first experience in salt water reef keeping. I am so thankful for these forums and in part they are a reason for my success with this 5.5 gallon AIO build.

Now after having this tank up and running since 09' I am thinking about starting a second 5.5 AIO or maybe up grading to a larger 10 gallon or 20L tank using the same AIO fuge' design as I have used here. Being that I can build most anything out of plastic(ABS and acrylic) that I want my choices are many. Having a handful of CNC milling machines/routers really comes in handy!!! I have made up a couple different fuge' walls for the 5.5 sized tank last week. One is the common tank end fuge' wall and the other is a back center wall much like the one I used on this tank. These all use a MJ600 pump. Will sit down and work on the 10 gallon designs this week.

Center55Fuge.jpg

55EndFuge.jpg

• Like 2

Man do i miss the days of running the gerber. Was an awesome CNC router. Wasn't into sw back then though. Young and stupid and all that. Now I get to make due with a dremel. :-P

Did you make the back black piece yourself or did you get someone to make it? I kind of want to do that

I have made the AIO fuge' walls myself. I have a few CNC milling machines/routers that I can fabricate most anything I can design up myself. Anything with a corner on it is all one piece of plastic as I also have a CNC thermal bending machine. The less number of parts the stronger the finished product. The only thing that is bonded in and is a separate piece is the divider wall. For what it's worth I do have a couple left over walls that I made extras of.

55walls.jpg

• Like 2
I have made the AIO fuge' walls myself. I have a few CNC milling machines/routers that I can fabricate most anything I can design up myself. Anything with a corner on it is all one piece of plastic as I also have a CNC thermal bending machine. The less number of parts the stronger the finished product. The only thing that is bonded in and is a separate piece is the divider wall. For what it's worth I do have a couple left over walls that I made extras of.

55walls.jpg

Got any left? I need one for a ten gallon.

Boxboy,

What design type are you looking for? I haven't made anything for the 10 gallon yet but was planning on doing so this week. I was looking at using a MJ 1200 pump for the 10 gallon tank set up.

• Like 2
Boxboy,

What design type are you looking for? I haven't made anything for the 10 gallon yet but was planning on doing so this week. I was looking at using a MJ 1200 pump for the 10 gallon tank set up.

flat back, or "END FUGE" same as the style inside the tank in the pic. Any ideas on prices? mj 1200 would be good.

You could set up a production gig if you really wanted to. Good way to both help out the guys an gals that can't make these themselves, and make a bit of extra cash.

I myself would love to have a center fuge style for a 20 long. :-P

You could set up a production gig if you really wanted to. Good way to both help out the guys an gals that can't make these themselves, and make a bit of extra cash.

I myself would love to have a center fuge style for a 20 long. :-P

BINGO.. I can offer my reviews of your product. once I own one that is.

In 6 months im upgrading to a 50 long, so yes i would need a new end peice at that point.

For a 20L set up what I have thought about at this point would be a pair of MJ900 pumps. One pointed towards each end. The beauty of the Maxi Jet 900/1200 pumps is they both share the same housing and only the impeller is different so if it turns out to be to much or to little flow depending on which pumps someone goes with all they need is a different set of impellers to change to the other pumps output.

• Like 2

Archived