Top Shelf Aquatics

Paleo's Reef

Paleoreef103

Paleoreef103

Picture update! The second unnamed ORA coral RTNed over night. Poor thing. Don't know what was wrong. All my other Acros are growing nicely...

partoftank.jpg

The part of the tank facing my couch. Naturally it has some nice stuff in it. I'm really digging my orange acan. Sold to me as a rainbow which is false, but it's still very nice.

crusheating.jpg

The orange crush eating pellets. It too is growing nicely.

SPS.jpg

Some of my SPS. Roscoe's blue is in the lower right corner. Colored up a bunch since I got it and I'm sure it's not done.

Hope you enjoyed it!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 weeks later...

Long time, no reply. A lot has happened with my tank! Firstly, I got rid of my HO side refugium so that I could put my Vortech in a better position. Things seem to be enjoying it. I have moved my light cycle back to the 4 on 8 off cycle and have my night mode set so that one of my 2 daily lit cycles is on this reduced flow times. Why? So that my duncan and my frogspawn can get some light when they're not getting blasted by current. I just set this up the other day and I'm getting better extension from both so I think I'll try it for a while. Anyway. More pictures! Now with top down shots!

topdowntablingacro.jpg

My tabling acro I got a while back. Top down its just amazing! From the side it is ok...

newacro7.jpg

New random acro. Pretty neat. Green base with a bright blue growth tip. I just hope by positioning it the way I did it'll start growing new tips as opposed to the don juan tip it has now.

Oneofthenewacros.jpg

ORA Miami Orchid! And a decent sized colony of it too! Got it for cheap because it had browned out a bit. Looks pretty good to me now!

orchid.jpg

Orchid from the side.

topdownorangecrush.jpg

Blurry top down of my orange crush. Not much of the super orange, but I dig the multi color more and that was the way I picked it.

crushfromside.jpg

From the side. I'm getting some really nice growth on it and wonder where I should attach it.

roscoesblue0836.jpg

Roscoe's is growing well and has colored up nicely. Its one of my favorites.

ricssplit.jpg

Both of Florida rics split! Very excited. The color is a bit off. The centered one is a really nice grey purple with a very bright mouth. I haven't seen one like it before.

acans38.jpg

Some of my acans. The top one got the crap stung out of it a few weeks ago by the orchid. It's almost fully healed and is growing the baby heads like crazy.

Hope you enjoyed it!

crushfromside.jpg

I'm getting some really nice growth on it and wonder where I should attach it.

I have a place on a rock that it would look perfect! Bring it over and I will help you attach it. :haha:

Great update and great pics BTW. :happy:

I have a place on a rock that it would look perfect! Bring it over and I will help you attach it. :haha:

Great update and great pics BTW. :happy:

No! My orange crush! ;) It's an awesome piece though and is quickly over running its frag base. Thanks for the kind words.

• 2 weeks later...

1000 post! Figured it should be on my thread.

newestacro.jpg

Brand new acro! Not sure what exactly it is. The guy at the LFS didn't know either as it wasn't well labeled so he gave me a very good price on it. I like it. Might be a pearlberry. Neat though.

rroossccooeess.jpg

Roscoe's blue is doing very well. Definitely loves the vortech.

aaccaannss.jpg

Some of my acans again. I love em.

duncanwakingup.jpg

These are my duncans, but it's right after they woke up so not a great shot. Good color though.

Hope you enjoyed.

Gongrats on your 1,000th post! Oh and those guys look hungry lol. Awesome pics BTW!

Thank you! Yeah... They always look hungry. The bottom ones have like five or six new polyps to feed! Neat though. Also, I think my new acro is a vivid rainbow delight. I'm super excited about it! It looks great and the polyps are coming out to play again.

• 2 weeks later...

More pictures!

PB250870.jpg

PB250868.jpg

PB230860.jpg

PB230862.jpg

PB230863.jpg

PB250865.jpg

PB250864.jpg

I think I might call the last ones baby's breath acans. I got them as kind of an afterthought, but holy wow do they look good in my tank.

• 2 weeks later...
Sigh... No love.

I feel like I just read a novel, Nice tank though. I'm trying to get my clowns to host my frogspawn because they keep trying to host my ricordea, is there anyway to entice them to go into it?

I feel like I just read a novel, Nice tank though. I'm trying to get my clowns to host my frogspawn because they keep trying to host my ricordea, is there anyway to entice them to go into it?

Thanks! No real way to get them to go there. You could move the ric to a different tank if you have that option for a while and wait for them to find a new home. Once they pick a home they tend to stay.

nice acans and acros! i have some similar lookin ones and yea they are great additions =)

Yeah I love them. I love your tanks too. That scroll coral in the 125 is insane!

Oh man, I love the color on your pearlberry. Such a nice pretty pastel color.

:( I'm super bummed that I lost mine, but I'm definitely gonna get another one! Pearlberry is definitely one of my favorite acros.

Oh man, I love the color on your pearlberry. Such a nice pretty pastel color.

:( I'm super bummed that I lost mine, but I'm definitely gonna get another one! Pearlberry is definitely one of my favorite acros.

I'm not positive it is a pearlberry actually. I got it at a pretty steep discount I think because it wasn't marked at the LFS and the employee there sold it to me for the price of the cheapest acro they had there because "it was the store's fault they didn't label the merchandise better." It's definitely a sweet acro though. I really dig the idea behind your 10 by the way. Drop off NPS? Sweet!

Thanks! No real way to get them to go there. You could move the ric to a different tank if you have that option for a while and wait for them to find a new home. Once they pick a home they tend to stay.

Yeah I love them. I love your tanks too. That scroll coral in the 125 is insane!

Thanks! and yea can u believe that huge scroll was only 50! and frags go for that much! my clown even hosts it instead of my huge nem =/

Moooore pictures!

aquapearl.jpg

clownplus.jpg

froggy.jpg

moreacans.jpg

tabler.jpg

zoaduncacan.jpg

miamii.jpg

lps.jpg

orangered.jpg

acccan.jpg

fts.jpg

Hope you enjoy. Oh. I by the way. If you want polyp extension on your acans, Ocean Nutritions oyster feast is amazing stuff. I've been dosing that and DT's phyto recently to great results. I also am getting some MB7 and when my new skimmer pump comes in I'll start MB7/vodka dosing. Well, the vodka again.

• 1 month later...

After having a decent bit of die off attributed to not having a protein skimmer pump (I did 20% water changes every 4-6 days to counter this and stuff still took a downward turn.), I finally received a replacement pump about two weeks ago and everything has really started to recover and start encrusting again. Additionally, I set up a TLF reactor to run Chemi-Pure Elite. But you didn't come for the story. You came for the pictures.

P1200741.jpg

What I thought was a Monti cap, but instead is much more interested in encrusting than plating. It was hit by the lack of skimmer, but is showing good growth.

P1200742.jpg

The white balance is off on this one, but the colors of the two acans are pretty much spot on. You can't see it in this picture, but its getting green inserts in places, looks amazing, and is growing very quickly.

P1200740.jpg

My rainbow monti and sunset monti. The sunset looked awful for a long time, but is recovering nicely and has taken off recently.

P1200737.jpg

P1200736.jpg

P1200733.jpg

P1130857.jpg

What are these tiny snails? I have a bunch of real tiny snails in the tank, but nothing seems to be effected... fingerscrossed

P1200744.jpg

My baby black and white clownfish that is sitting in a breeders net, eating like a pig!

Oh... I'm going to have so surprises coming up. Should be glorious.

Man, I have not seen this for a year and you sure have added a lot of coral. Nice work. I really like your acan collection. The Orange crush is just beautiful. Your sps ain't bad either. Keep it up. Can't wait to see the surprise.

Not sure what those snails are but I saw one in my tank a few months ago. Maybe it got eaten by soemthing? lol I am glad everything is pulling through for you. I will have to make sure I have spair skimmer pumps just in case. Cute clown, he looks like one of mine :happy: . I love suprises, what is it?

Man, I have not seen this for a year and you sure have added a lot of coral. Nice work. I really like your acan collection. The Orange crush is just beautiful. Your sps ain't bad either. Keep it up. Can't wait to see the surprise.

Thanks!

Not sure what those snails are but I saw one in my tank a few months ago. Maybe it got eaten by soemthing? lol I am glad everything is pulling through for you. I will have to make sure I have spair skimmer pumps just in case. Cute clown, he looks like one of mine happy.gif . I love suprises, what is it?

No telling what the surprise is just yet. But I did order a 6 frags of zoas/palys from MrCoral using his special and picked up a couple of awesome acros out of the deal as well. That wasn't the surprise, FYI.

• 3 weeks later...

OK. The tank has been doing really well. I have been dosing amino acids now as well and the corals are responding really well. I got a few corals from Mr Coral and have a few more being sent my way for Thursday. Very excited. Anyway. Coral pictures

P2120790.jpg

My pearlberry. The evolution of its color has been pretty breathtaking. Next to it is my amethyst porites which is nicely color, but hasn't grown very much.

P2120813.jpg

My ORA Miami Orchid. Purple tips and a green body is starting to come in.

P2120791.jpg

P2120800.jpg

P2130822.jpg

Purple deaths and tubb's blues. They are doing much better. For a long time my tank did not like zoas. Now they're all doing well.

P2130820.jpg

Brilliant new zoas from Mr. Coral. Sorry about the crappy pic. They're really amazing in person.

P2130825.jpg

More new zoas. The eagle eyes have been there but the other two came from Mr. Coral.

P2130823.jpg

Still more new zoas from Mr. Coral.

P2120798.jpg

This frag is sitting in the holding pen with my baby clown. The frag plug is gigantic, but it won't be in there for long!

So... Last time I promised a surprise. Here's a taste.

P1310780.jpg

:ninja: :ninja: :ninja:

P2140733.jpg

This is how recovered my Sunset Monti is. It has completely grown over the previously dead areas and is starting to invade the rock around it.

P2140732.jpg

My fuzzy plating acro is doing wonderfully. I'd say that's some pretty good polyp extension.

P1300770.jpg

:ninja: :ninja: :ninja:

Update. Got a bunch more stuff from Mr Coral. Also I am getting four more zoas/palys in the foreseeable future.

P2200766-1.jpg

Digging this favia.

P2200767-1.jpg

Spot the Dendros!

P2200764-1.jpg

Huge polyp extension on this guy.

P2200761-1.jpg

ORA Miami Orchids can be just amazing.

P2200760-1.jpg

Awesome war coral and my pearlberry.

P2200759.jpg

My blue M. danae, ORA roscoe's blue, ORA red planet, plus Tubb's blues, RPE, Zombie eyes, Purple deaths, and radioactive dragon eyes.

P2200757.jpg

:happy:

P2190755.jpg

They are a real rich red in person and are probably the nicest RPEs I have seen in person.

P2190753.jpg

New Acan.

P2180751.jpg

:happy:

Oh, one more thing.

P2010782.jpg

Not so :ninja: Now.

• 3 weeks later...

Paleo, New here and to the hobby and just discovered your tank thread(s). Amazing work! I'm in the IC myself and would love to see the UI tank if it is open to the public. Also any advice you might have on where to purchase corals, local frag swaps etc. would be appreciated. It's ironic that living so close to a town called Coralville it seems challenging to be in this hobby here. If we could have only been here about 400 million years ago! However I probably don't yet fully appreciate the local reef scene.

Archived