Cultivated Reef

Paleo's Reef

Paleoreef103

Paleoreef103

I suppose I should also show you the reason as to why I haven't purchased a MP20 for my tank or bought a new tank (still looking at setting up a custom 24X24X18 shallow cube.). I will tell you this much.... It was worth it! :D

post-32810-1237038881_thumb.jpg

post-32810-1237038912_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Paleoreef103

Couple of new shots. Three nice coral shots and a picture of the third most important thing to me.

post-32810-1238535974_thumb.jpg

post-32810-1238536000_thumb.jpg

post-32810-1238536024_thumb.jpg

post-32810-1238536036_thumb.jpg

Paleoreef103

Ok. So. I got a couple of new FTS shots and a few more coral garden pics. My favorite Acan was pretty roughed up by the Peppermint Shrimp. I really hope it recovers, but I refuse to let it be seen in that condition.... Poor thing.

More pics.

post-32810-1238711018_thumb.jpg

post-32810-1238711040_thumb.jpg

post-32810-1238711093_thumb.jpg

post-32810-1238711165_thumb.jpg

post-32810-1238711202_thumb.jpg

post-32810-1238711232_thumb.jpg

Paleoreef103
Really nice looking tank.. And congrats on poping the big question bud

Thanks! It's turned out great!

On other news, the peppermint shrimp WAS picking on my poor LPS! The less damaged polyps of my acan colony have rebounded and are doing great and the ones that were really damaged seem to be doing a bit better. It only cost me one acan colony and a gorgeous Micromussa coral... :(

Paleoreef103

So! More pictures!! I got a new set of red zoas that really pop! The picture doesn't capture their metallic redness. Might be Kedd's Reds, but I they kinda have a bull's eye to them that I haven't seen on Kedd's Reds. Any ideas what they are? Also I grabbed a picture of my extremely well behaved Royal Gramma. I love him. The worst he does is very rarely gape at something, but honestly my true perc is a bit meaner than he is (and the clown is pretty passive). Also I have a picture of the damaged acan. It seriously does look a lot better once I removed my peppermint shrimp :angry:. I miss my blue and red micros and my green acans.....

post-32810-1239635833_thumb.jpg

post-32810-1239635852_thumb.jpg

post-32810-1239635883_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Paleoreef103

Switched over to photobucket! Woo! In tank news, I got rid of my birdsnest, my galaxea, a frag of my staghorn monti, and my pocillopora. Not enough room in the tank so I had to keep my favorites! So here is what you came to see.

Clownlovingfroggy.jpg

My clown loves my frogspawn.

Micros.jpg

A couple of nice Micros. They have a metallic green sheen to them.

Redzoosgoingquick.jpg

These zoos are great! Grow fast and very red. My best guess is Zombie Eyes on zoaid.

Puffyhydno.jpg

I don't know if you can tell that the hydno is extra puffy. I keep waiting for this guy to take off vertically, but it encrusts more than it shoots up. Nice though.

Shimmerangle.jpg

shimmery-1.jpg

I love the shimmer effect. Adding vitachem makes my tank a bit foggy, and the fog makes the shimmer that much more noticeable.

closeuppinkzoos.jpg

Love these zoos. Didn't cost me much because they were kinda browned out, but now they're a nice pink and purple.

Hope you liked the update!

Paleoreef103

No new comments? Boo! I did manage to snag a couple of tiny frags (a purple monti undata? and a tiny frag of tubbs purple polyp birdsnest) for the system and reworked my sump to make my skimmer work better (I woke up this morning to a LOT thicker and more skimmate) and improve my water flow and keep detritus suspended to be filtered out. After trying to pull up a bit of algae and seeing one of my Koralia nanos blowing it away from the overflow repeatedly I knew I had to move that pump. :angry:

NanoReefNovice
After trying to pull up a bit of algae and seeing one of my Koralia nanos blowing it away from the overflow repeatedly I new I had to move that pump. :angry:

Just takes some trial and error until you find the perfect flow and directions. ;)

I really like those tank up shots you did, looks like im in the ocean. :D

Plus the clown in the frogspawn is precious. :happy:

And... thumbs up on switching to photobucket.

Paleoreef103

More pictures!

birdnest.jpg

My new birdsnest. It's tiny.

spotthebirdsnest.jpg

Can you find it?

motherbirdnest.jpg

Here is the mother colony. Hopefully it'll look this good soon.

purplemonti.jpg

Here is my tiny frag of purple polyp monti. It's got potential.

scratchingthatitch.jpg

My clownfish scratching an itch on the froggy.

Clowninfroggy.jpg

Clownfish burying itself in the frogspawn.

AHHH.jpg

Caught in mid yawn.

What do you think?

• 3 weeks later...
Paleoreef103

Been a while, not that many have noticed. <_< But I have put a lot of new stuff into the tank and removed a bunch of stuff that I didn't like as much. I think it looks a lot better. Also I got a four things from BibleSue's BOC sale. I got an orange cap, a blue polyp encrusting monti, a purple acan echin, and some daisy polyps which I couldn't get a good picture of.

micromussa.jpg

Here is finally a good shot of my green and red micromussa that is growing pretty well. It got attacked a while back by the peppermint shrimp, but recovered beautifully.

groupshot.jpg

Several different corals. My baby Seriatopora, my frag of Montipora confusa, what was supposed to be a pink millepora (but more of a lemon lime mille), and a weird monti confusa.

greenzoas.jpg

A few neon green zoas.

greenbaypackers.jpg

Green Bay Packers continue to grow!

gapinggramma.jpg

A half gaping Royal Gramma.

babybluemonti.jpg

My blue polyped monti from BibleSue. It is much more blue in person.

anotherclowninfroggy.jpg

Another picture of my clown lounging in the froggy. I really like this picture.

Eagleeyepurplemontiorangemonti.jpg

Here is the orange cap I got from Bible Sue (yes I have a bunch of them). Also, my purple polyp monti and the new Eagle Eyes I got. They're a gorgeous metallic orange!

Bluezoas.jpg

Some beautiful blue zoas.

zombieeye.jpg

My zombie eyes stretching for light. They're not in the best place, but they keep multiplying and I like their position. When I get the new light they'll be much happier.

tworicordias.jpg

My pair of Ricordias.

purpleacan.jpg

Purple Acan I got from Bible Sue. I can't wait for this one to grow out!

orangeandblueacan.jpg

My orange and teal acans again. Love em.

FrontFTS-1.jpg

With a bit of a glare here is the FTS from the front.

FTSside-1.jpg

And an FTS from the side that I view it from most often. (it faces the couch.)

You have a seriously nice collection of coral here! Now you need a better camera to show them off lol.

You have a seriously nice collection of coral here! Now you need a better camera to show them off lol.

+1!!!! :D Love the tank and love what you are doing with it!!! Absolutely love it!!! Keep up the great work ... and yes get a new camera so we can enjoy this tank with you even more!!!

BRAVO!!! :D

-David

ChicagoReefOne

First of all congratulations on the engagement man!!! That's so great! I hope I can meet her at some point soon.

The tank looks great, once the coral grows into it I bet it'll be stunning. How has your experience been keeping a mixed reef? Any impact on SPS growth? Like we talked about, I'm thinking of sticking to just SPS though I would love to have some other corals in there too . . .

If you get a 250W MH are you going to suspend it? When my 150W MH switches on it's pretty intense, and has a definite impact on the water temp. I'm still on the fence about how much the pavona likes it, watching the growth rate.

Have you looked at the Greater Iowa Reef Society on RC? The board seems pretty active, though it seems like you have met some SW people in IA by now anyways.

Paleoreef103

Hey Brahm! Yeah I'm looking at building my own hanging kit. I'll probably go buy a couple of 5-6 foot lengths of half-3/4 inch aluminum tubing, paint them black, bend them, and suspend the 250 over the tank (a 9-12 inches off the water). That's the plan anyways. I'm getting an aquamedic 250 from reefdan and am extremely excited about this! I also bought a cheepy 6 buck 4 inch fan from Walmart in addition to my Azoo two fan set up to combat the increased halide power.

One piece of bad news is that my clownfish is sick! It's got a pair of fairly large white spots on it that stick out of the poor fish by about a millimeter or two. I really don't think it's ich as the spots are too big and they shouldn't stick out like that. It is either a fungus or a parasite. Right now I'm just trying to keep the parameters stable and keep feeding him a varied diet and I hope he'll recover. Recently he's been awfully annoying to me however. Keeps biting the hairs on my knuckles and the small webbing between my fingers when I have my hand in my tank. It's annoying!

After I'm done with my Masters this summer I'm joining the GIRS. No time now though.

• 3 weeks later...
Paleoreef103

Ok. Finally getting around to writing up the lighting rig! I did it this past weekend and I think it turned out well. I may have overestimated the height I wanted to have the light hanging from the tank, but I consulted with a PAR meter and this placement is certainly stronger, but not overly so. Everything has done really well with the new light except the daisy polyps which are trying. Anyways, I spent under fifty on the lighting rig and that counted buying the pole bender and the pipe cutter. The first thing obviously was measuring everything out. Once I had that figured out I bent the pole. It was pretty easy to do the bending, but hard to get the bend to come out matching. Some good old elbow grease fixed the problem and I got two well bent poles. Please excuse the dog toys.

P6121378.jpg

In order to hang the light I used a total of four 3/16th inch eyehooks. The fixture had them already available, but I had to drill into the pipe. A cordless drill made quick work of the holes. To make sure the lengths were perfectly matched up I cut the bend tips with the pipe cutter to make them perfect copies of each other.

After that I had to rearrange my living room to get behind the stand. A few very important measures, a few screws, four brackets, and the poles were hung. The eye bolts were secured and a length of chain from each eye bolt to the fixture resulted in a hung pendant! To make it look a bit cleaner I used some zip ties to fix it all up.

P6121381.jpg

P6121380.jpg

Done! Only took a few hours too.

Next step is that this bulb will take me through until July when I'm shelling out the cash for the return of the phoenix 14K!

• 2 weeks later...
Paleoreef103

OK. So the shipment came in and WOW! They're great. One of the acans and the micros is nice not fantastic, but the others are certainly amazing. The orange rainbows are especially nice. The purple deaths are really nice too. I know some people aren't in love with them, but these look great to me. Getting some Nuke greens would be nice, but I'll have to settle for the nice radioactive dragon eyes that I got. Unfortunately I can't find my cable. I'll get picks up soon.

Paleoreef103
Needs moar pichers

OK! OK! Jeez! There is a lot of stuff I couldn't get a good picture of, but it all looked really nice, but that doesn't mean I can actually get a picture of it....

P6261389.jpg

Start with the best picture I took. This awesome magma chalice. I can't wait for this puppy to grow out!

P6261387.jpg

Powder blue/lavender acan. It'll look really nice next to my other acans.

P6261386.jpg

Superman acan and blueberry micromussas. I went all out on the LPS this time.

P6261399.jpg

I don't know if you can make this out, but there is a new purple digi in there and a blue/ purple Acro that I added. Both have really nice polyp extension.

P6261390.jpg

REALLY crappy picture of some purple deaths. They're nice though. Real nice.

I am completely unhappy with my current pictures of the radioactive dragon eyes, rainbow acan, or the other acan. So they don't get posted until I'm happy with how they look.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived