inTank Media Baskets

Liverock Specimen Contest Voting Now!

johnmaloney

Okay so here are the contest rules:

You submit a link to a picture here, or on our website to some kind of cool coralline or successful encrusting sponge, or feather duster colony that you got on a rock, etc.... I narrow it down to the top 10 or so, and then we have a vote on it the weekend after next. Top 3 get $50 gift certificates. If they would like to participate in our rock seeding program, I will pay all costs.

Thanks to Weetie for the idea of doing a contest!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok you'll have to forgive me, these pictures were taken with a 4 year old point and shoot camera. The colors aren't right.

Pictured is Purple Plating Coralline Algae and Blood-Red Encrusting Coralline.

DSC01659.jpg

Once again pics suck :P

that is sweet. my pics are worse don't feel bad. I hate taking pictures too, it kills me. I like it, pm me address to ship the rubble to. That encrusting coralline may be a shoe in for my top 10 pics. Lets see if you can beat it nano-reef! Thanks for starting off ddr.

the teal is amazing. if you want in on the project, (I think the Nano-Reef Advice thread explains it), I would love to get some small rubble pieces out your way.

the teal is amazing. if you want in on the project, (I think the Nano-Reef Advice thread explains it), I would love to get some small rubble pieces out your way.

As a matter of fact I am just preparing to walk out the door for Las Vegas. I will be back on the 15th. I will contact you when I get back for details. Thanks :)

I found this guy UNDER my GSP after 8 months, i had no idea he was there until one day i decided to move it and i noticed the white hard worm shell.

though i have no idea what it is.

wedding016.jpg

not that im going to win but i thought id show it.

wow that is different. a nice looking vermetid snail? (I always spell vermetid wrong I think. Reef Spell Check anyone? Just send me the words, I have the software around here somewhere....)

I think it's a feather duster.

are you talking about mine?? why is the shell hard then, ive touched it and its also white.

are you talking about mine?? why is the shell hard then, ive touched it and its also white.

I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing. I was talking about the thing with the long tube ending with something that looks like a feather duster with pink spots. I think I have some under my rocks.

You know what it looks like now that you mention it, it looks like a feather duster living in a vermetid shell. Or a really nice vermetid, but I think lakshwa is right on this, the dual heads are pretty telling - even though the case is 100% vermetid.

dorymarlin955

That's definately a feather duster (hence the "duster" part). Just a type with a rigid tube. Vermetids don't have the crowns and instead make a web of mucus goo to catch stuff in the water.

Looks like Schaferfred and I are in the lead so far :)

BTW, that teal coralline is freakin awesome.

Come on people, I know you have some cool Live Rock specimens out there! :D

my FD colony....

Picture060-1.jpg

encrusting coralline....

Picture061-1.jpg

plating coralline...

Picture063.jpg

my yellow sponge hitcher (1 of 5). i trim this down to a stump every week!

Picture062-2.jpg

Here are some of my hitchhikers:

featherdusterwormht5.th.jpgFeatherduster

algae4ax7.th.jpgI think this is Halimeda discoidea

neomerisannulatawithisonr5.th.jpgNeomeris annulata covered in Isopods

Click to view larger! :)

Archived