ReefCleaners.org

Liverock Specimen Contest Voting Now!

johnmaloney

nice algae, sorry the neomeris has isopods. Personally I love neomeris and that would be way up on my list, but the isopods are a killer. I would edit that part out.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't worry about the Isopods. The vast majority we have in aquaria are harmless herbivores. These aren't Cirolanid Isopods, just some harmless algae grazers. :D

oh okay great, thought they were parasitic. honestly all the herbivores isopods, copepods and amphipods with me just becomes "pods", and I only think of the parasite when I hear "iso". neomeris is awesome, nice duster too.

I think you have Halimeda copiosa. The long single row of "leaves" and the shape makes me think that. Discoidea is a little more broad, and wouldn't have a thin row like that. Also the leaves wouldn't for so uniformly from the previous leaf, on discoidea the leaves for irregularly. Nice piece you have there, I like copiosa.

These pics are from rock that was at least one year old when I got them.

Some pics of my sponges (had to use flash since they're cryptic animals under a overhang)

IMG_0425.jpg

This rock has yellow/purple and blue coralline (not sure if the blue is coralline:

pic under my PCs:

IMG_0402.jpg

blue side under PCs

IMG_0408.jpg

Another rock has the same coralline growths (also PCs)

IMG_0415.jpg

My T5s are very blue (currently 3 ATI blue pluses and 1 UVL aquasun), so everything, coralline or rock, looks like this:

IMG_0387.jpg

recent pic with my T5s using flash:

IMG_0394.jpg

Old pic with T5s and flash

IMG_0242.jpg

Feather dusters (PCs then T5s)

IMG_0418.jpg

IMG_0314.jpg

I think you have Halimeda copiosa. The long single row of "leaves" and the shape makes me think that. Discoidea is a little more broad, and wouldn't have a thin row like that. Also the leaves wouldn't for so uniformly from the previous leaf, on discoidea the leaves for irregularly. Nice piece you have there, I like copiosa.

Thanks John. I've been trying to figure out which species of Halimeda that was. I eventually had it down to two, but settled on Discoidea based on pictures I saw. The other one was probably Copiosa but I can't remember. Thanks for the positive ID!

Here's a pic of my favorite rock.. not because it's completely covered (I do have some completely covered in the purple coralline), but because of all the colors! If you open it up you can see I have: lime green, bright yellow, blood red, purple, and teal. And of course my snail up top who is almost covered now too!

I had to use a flash to really show all the colors...

post-40852-1232337225_thumb.jpg

i got to say i am a little surprised you one. Not that neomeris isn't cool, and god know that picture is great, but better than number 5? hmmm.... Lot of the macro people hang out around the site I think that gave you a bump. Then again I spent $40 on the ugliest piece of rock I ever saw, just because it had some neomeris.

I'm surprised too, but pleasantly so. :) I would have thought there would have been more votes though. Maybe you can publicize the next context with a thread in General Discussion?

ah darn. I would have entered. I have some nice branching reddish purple(???) Coraline algae. Never saw this post but until today. Check the 42 hex link for pictures.

Wish I could have caught this one. Only thing on this that isn't a hitchhiker is the chalice frag. Oyster, sponges, nice coraline, Rock boring Medusa Worm, your typical Florida Cnidarian colonies, star polyps just outside the pic and even plenty of brittle stars (including Ophiopsila riisei, a bio luminescent species). Come on John, when are you going to get a space for your own rock out there? LOL

post-13875-1233018612_thumb.jpg

rocket-

well post the pic for interest sake.

fade2white-

What happened is we got busy during the week, and I really just didn't have the time to follow through with the contest. I am usually better with hype.

fade2white won with neomeris

Come on John, when are you going to get a space for your own rock out there? LOL

post-13875-1233018612_thumb.jpg

when they let me.

Well, I can't seem to snap a good photo of any of it, but I have purple, pink, teal, orange, and red encrusting corraline (mostly purple of course,) orange and black sponges, several feather dusters, purple plateing corraline, and thats about it I think. Of course it's all talk if I don't have pictures sooo. I'll work on that.

Archived