Coral Vue Hydros

Would like Nano-Reef's opinion again

johnmaloney

so do you think that we should keep a macro line and a encrusting/coralline things line, or mix in some macro with the liverock? (Or have 3 which is my guess where this will go)

Maybe you could have varying levels of encrustation, since people will want those pieces to be at the top of any rock structures.

I'm back from Christmas, kind of. Sounds like a good idea but consider what would get damaged in shipping with the weight of the rocks. Some of the suggestions don't sound like something that would ship well on LR unless it was rubble.

Honestly for me, nice coraline on rock would be a plus above everything else.

If a rock already has something growing on it like sponge/coral it will only limit the end user in terms on how it can be placed (someone wouldnt want to place a rock with coral upside down, then the coral would die and defeat the whole purpose).

I think really nice coraline covered rocks, bare would be best. If you want to get more advanced and give the buyer options, you can offerpackages to add sponges/turnicates/what ever and send them these things individually for manual placement in the same shippment. All they'll need to do is use some glue and stick them on the rock before placement. Also survival will be higher.

yeah it would be small batch rubble pieces. Individually packaged. Some of the sponges for sure would have problems, but coralline and macro would make it. Maybe sponges are a bad idea, good point Sue. I was going to be super strict though about hardiness of the sponges. I have worked with a few species that wouldn't die easily. Since the rock will be premium, and we want it to stay that way we are going to pad it with water bags on all sides maybe. I don't think this will be a hurdle that can't be overcome, I have seen some ownderful rock shipped around.

Honestly for me, nice coraline on rock would be a plus above everything else.

If a rock already has something growing on it like sponge/coral it will only limit the end user in terms on how it can be placed (someone wouldnt want to place a rock with coral upside down, then the coral would die and defeat the whole purpose).

I think really nice coraline covered rocks, bare would be best. If you want to get more advanced and give the buyer options, you can offerpackages to add sponges/turnicates/what ever and send them these things individually for manual placement in the same shippment. All they'll need to do is use some glue and stick them on the rock before placement. Also survival will be higher.

Good points, Sue had similar concerns. I agree. Dusters stay in though! They are tough enough. :) The rocks would be smaller and have reproducing organisms to seed and then move around the tank spreading the life on the rock. Because of the size of these rocks, (baseball-softball), not sure if they would be a part of the aquascape to any real degree, except for in a pico-reef.

I honestly think this is a great plan. I bought some live rock that looks preety much the way you want it to, and it's great. I have purple and red ecrusting coralline, very prolific purple plateing coralline, possibly even little batches of black coralline (I thought it was a sponge, but looking again...) I think you could make a killing with stuff like this. Having different "lines" of live ricj would also be sweet, I could use something for a refugium I'm planning...

• 1 month later...

whats up with this, it sounds awesome, have you collected a lot of specimens? any worms on the list, maybe spaghetti or blood worms, how many varieties of pods have you gathered so far?

Deleted User 6
On a different product line, what about a macro algae rock seed? Super refugium rock?...

Yes. Yes yes yes.

I acutally just bought some rock from an online source that aquacultures and the rocks have TONS of life - macros, porites, hitchers, etc. The rocks are going in my fuge. If you could come up with some good fuge rock with a good mix of algaes (ulva/chaeto) I think it would be a great idea! Diversity is key.

Time to start brushing off the soft cycle manual.

johnmaloney

mariculture or aquaculture? Bit different, mariculture is something we are also looking into for long term plans, but the aquaculture project never gathered any steam. Only 2 people interested in it. In my tanks I have quite a bunch of different pods, I think like 8 or 9 at least but haven't counted. I like the feather dusters too, I am locatiing samples right now to grow out some rock in my tank, just something fun. Located like 14 different species of coralline I like, teal, yellow, red, pink, green, purple etc.. Will start growing it all at some time. I have a few sponges that work too, my sponge tank was a mild success, I did get to find some that work, but most didn't. 4 tunicates too I think, the aquacultured rock is will be all hand selected animals, but I would like my hand at some mariculture too in the future.

Archived