Cultivated Reef

Would like Nano-Reef's opinion again

johnmaloney

We took your advice on the base rock, and have gotten great reviews and it is starting to really move, we appreciate it, and Sallie Mae does too. :)

So we are thinking of taking the next logical step and grow seed for the base rock. We will use smaller rubble fragments to make up the package. 100% aquaculture, and pest free, We are coming up with a list on what to seed the rock with. So far we got:

stomatellas

dwarf ceriths

colonistas

mini stars

asterinas

microfauna from established tank

feather dusters

purple, pink, and green coralline

some corals - or is this a bad idea because it limits other coral selections people can make? Let me know....

maybe some sponges

tunicates? not sure on that one

possibly some plating coralline spread throughout the mix

what would you like to see? Any particular species one of the ones we listed?

Wow John, if you do that then I am most definitely buying rock from you the next time I set up a tank. I would love to see those inverts on Live Rock. As far as corals, maybe some different colored porites (I know Reef Goddess has several on her site) like yellows and purples, mushrooms, random zoanthids, different colored sponges and some tunicates definitely sound cool.

well they won't be available for some time. We have some already growing with 3 different species of coralline and two species of dusters, but it has a while to go. Would like 1k gallons of grow out room, so quantities would be limited and small batch - just enough to seed.

I think that sounds like a really, really good idea, I totally support it.

I think it would be cook if you could do what GARF has done and try to get as many different species of coralline from around the world as possible and seed your growout rock with it.

Not totally sure, but I think you grind up the coralline and just sprinkle it in the system to have it seed all over.

It would be really cool if you could some of the more unique and unusual forms of coralline, like some of the blue colors, etc. I think a lot of ppl would be really interested in something like that.

Perhaps you could start a contest or promotion with the people here on NR and have ppl send small pcs of unusual growths or coralline from their systems for you to seed yours.

Have a contest for most unusual coralline, or give a discount to someone who sends something you don't already have.

It would be a fun way to get the whole community involved.

If you can find some branching and/or yellow and blue coralline, that would be unique. Some livestock suggestions:

the "DIBS Turbo" (Turbo argyrostoma)

reef-safe bristle worms

columbellid snails

Trochus and Tectus snails

mysid shrimp?

Also, someone was reporting their lettuce nudibranchs breeding. I'm not sure how well they would do.

Maybe I'm missing something but why not just get regular LR?

Because you get things like aiptasia and hydroids, and john's location will allow less hardy, yet beneficial, things to survive shipping.

Needreefunds
......100% aquaculture, and pest free,. We are coming up with a list on what to seed the rock with. So far we got:

stomatellas

dwarf ceriths

colonistas

mini stars

asterinas

microfauna from established tank

feather dusters

purple, pink, and green coralline

some corals - or is this a bad idea because it limits other coral selections people can make? Let me know....

maybe some sponges

tunicates? not sure on that one

possibly some plating coralline spread throughout the mix

what would you like to see? Any particular species one of the ones we listed?

You would be hard pressed to find rock like this ^^^, intentionally seeded with all of the above.

All the benefits of "wild" LR without the risks involved ( all of the possible unwanted hitchhikers ).

Plus its aquacultured, with all the extra "desirable" hitchers possibly finding its way to you. Cool stuff.

Sounds like an awesome idea John. B)

reef-safe bristle worms

I know you like them, but I hate em. No rational reason why, I just don't like worms. I am not squeamish, just don't like em. :)

the "DIBS Turbo" (Turbo argyrostoma)

+1

I want to get a bunch of reproducing CUC members if possible. I don't think any out compete the dwarf cerith though, wonder how it will go.

I will probably add a ton of seed from the top guys around the industry, a shortcut I know but why not? :) I just won't name them, don't want any trademark problems.

I like the idea of collecting some of the better coralline over the net. I am looking into whether or not an aquaculture license allows me to take small brood samples from the ocean, if so there are some things I know where to find that are nice, and not in the hobby that I know of. I would want to do it 100% aquaculture, but I could live with small pieces of wild coralline. If not, I may ask a MLE diver to do it. Hobbyist samples would be cool, not sure how that would work though. I have the worst luck with shipments this time of year because it is almost 80 here and 20 where I am getting it from and the heat pack tends to burn up the product when it arrives. At 90 coralline goes south fast.

On a different product line, what about a macro algae rock seed? Super refugium rock?...

If you can find some branching and/or yellow and blue coralline, that would be unique.

I have some yellow coraline growing out in my tank. It's just in small patches curently , but I am waiting to see if it really spreads. Should be interesting.

Oh and I remember reading on another thread no to long ago that you are not a big fan of yellow , Lakshwadeep? That was you right? :huh:

I hope it turns out to be primo, and spreads well. If that is the case, it might have an edge on a particular live rock. Don't get me wrong though, I like maricultured rock because it is wild looking, but this is a no pest no fuss sort of thing, and hopefull the product comes out nice. I think I might have to have separate systems to keep on of the coralline species from becoming dominate until I have enough of each coralline. As you can see I am still planning, but have the tanks, and the rock I got now is coloring up.

No, it was not me about not liking yellow coralline. I actually have yellow and blue (the blue may be something else) coralline, and I like it. I did take most of the coralline from my tanks former back wall when I moved it to view from three sides.

+1 to a macroalgae rock. I was going to suggest macros, but they might get eaten by all your snails.

I have some yellow coraline growing out in my tank. It's just in small patches curently , but I am waiting to see if it really spreads. Should be interesting.

Oh and I remember reading on another thread no to long ago that you are not a big fan of yellow , Lakshwadeep? That was you right? :huh:

yellow is sweet. How would one go about setting up a coralline contest? 2 categories one for plating and one for encrusting?

What about sponges?

What about this for an idea:

We get a thread going where people post pictures of successful encrusting sponges and coralline and the like. People here say "yes" or "no" I send out some small pieces of rock rubble to the "yes" people. The yes people put the rubble next to the target, grow it, and then send it back. I QT it, and if it comes out, (word of caution I am a QT Nazi), I send out a refund for the cost to you for shipping the piece. 6 months later I have a flat rate box of seed rock from everybody waiting for you, just pay the return $8.95 for shipping, I buy the rock. How does that sound? You can let it go on if you want for longer - up to you.

No, it was not me about not liking yellow coralline. I actually have yellow and blue (the blue may be something else) coralline, and I like it. I did take most of the coralline from my tanks former back wall when I moved it to view from three sides.

+1 to a macroalgae rock. I was going to suggest macros, but they might get eaten by all your snails.

those snails are complex macro algae safe. (All macro algae but sprouting filamentous algae). You got to see how many snails I got in my newest macro tank.

Are you doing a green house kind of set up so that you won't need lights for the rock culturing tubs?

I was thinking about it. Right now I have the room to do it in the warehouse. I like that better because I plan to feed a ton of plankton, and I need it near a refrigerator. I am looking at 2 acres farm land for aquaculture, but most for macro algae. The first batch at least will be grown indoors. I think... Free light, and geothermal cooling and heating sound pretty good though.

If you can provide some nice color feather dusters ill buy several off ya.

growing all feather dusters out now, probably later though. I can get you pretty much anything you would want for a tank at some rock bottom prices too, but I kind of want to stay in the niche I am in, and dusters aren't really cleaners, they should be fed.

Hey John what size rocks are you talking about sending to people to grow their coralline on? I have some really pretty purple plating coralline algae, but I don't have room for a ginormous chunk of rock in there. I assume you mean around golf ball size rock? I would be open to seeding some rock for you.

Oh and +1 to the Super Refugium Rock, that sounds sooo sweet!!! John, you think up the coolest ideas!

Thanks DDR! - golf ball is what I am thinking, breaking out the hammer now. (Rubble to our supplier is nano tank sized pieces, this would be smaller).

Archived