Cultivated Reef

Dinoflagelates algae

Nosey

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
el_vulture619

Nosey that is ALOT of extra work to be keeping the ALK up like that..along with the PH, there has to be a better way.

Most of the efforts we have done have just subdued the dinos but never gotten rid of them! I want them terminated! B)

Has to be a way....

It’s not that bad, as of this weekend, I will have automated the whole thing!.......Well - the testing

I haven't looked at my PH in weeks.

• 2 weeks later...
el_vulture619

UPDATE:

Dinos are almost gone. They are not even close to what they were in the original posts! Just a few areas remain. :) Once again patience is the best treatment for a nano!

I have been checking PH and trying to keep it around 8.5 by adding 9 oz of kalk water to my 40b every couple of days. The mix for the kalk is 1 heaping TBS for 2 QTs RO water.

I also have been doing water changes, but not on a regular schedual, just when I see dinos forming on detrius pile in the corners of the tank; they are syphoned out.

I have also scrubbed GHA off of the LR with a toothbrush and rinsed with FW. The GHA was hosting the dinos the most. GHA growth has slowed and so far has not returned to its past levels. (2 weeks)

I run a bag of Chemipure Elite in my HOB to help with any phosphates or random chemicals to help keep the water clean.

Best test.... my LM blennie is eating GHA now (a little), before it would spit it out, because of the dinos!

This battle is long and hard, but I Press On, and rejoice in the LORD!!

• 9 months later...

this is an old post, but what salt mix were you people using if you dont mind me asking, what were you using at the time and since then have you switched mixes?

this is an old post, but what salt mix were you people using if you dont mind me asking, what were you using at the time and since then have you switched mixes?

I was never part of this thread, but i had reef crystals when i had the dinos. I thought it was the salt but it ended up not being the problem. I did about 100% in water changes over a week or 2 with new salt (Neomarine). Then i did no waterchanges until they burned themselves out. I also cut my lighting to 6 hours a day. Took about 4 weeks from full outbreak to gone.

el_vulture619

wow, last post was in march...and I need to log into photobucket!! LOL! :lol:

Salt mix is IO, didnt not change it and still use it. My dinos are gone and have not returned. I still dose kalc but not as routinely, more like when I remember..lol

So I guess I won the WAR!! :happydance:

• 1 month later...
wow, last post was in march...and I need to log into photobucket!! LOL! :lol:

Salt mix is IO, didnt not change it and still use it. My dinos are gone and have not returned. I still dose kalc but not as routinely, more like when I remember..lol

So I guess I won the WAR!! :happydance:

I am not trying to beat the old thread lol but could you tell me if this is your routine?

1) Does Kalkwasser + RO water to what level? What's the ratio kalk to RO water?

2) So by dosing Kalk with RO water, it should raise my pH and alk level.

I will check my alk and pH prior dosing too

• 3 weeks later...

One of my tanks just went through a dinos infestation and came out on top! Just thought I'd share. No kalk or any chemicals were used. I took out as much of the dinos as possible did 1/3 water change. Then total lights out for 3 days straight. After day 3 turned the lights back on - the few corals I have were pissed but alive. Left the lights on regular schedule for 5 days and noticed a tiny bit of dinos on some of my macro algea. Took whatever remained of the dinos I could find out of the tank again. Then proceeded for another 3 days total lights out.

After that - no more dinos! Yippie!!!! :happydance:

And oddly enough, the corals looked better than ever after the last lights out day. Polyps extended further and colors nicer too.

callmesaul8889

not complete, no. i did use that method last time i had a lights out period and saw no major difference. I've only been running the lights a few hours a day to try and control it for now. i'm going on spring break and ill be leaving it on it's regular light schedule for the next week, so i might come back to hell

Archived