Cultivated Reef

Dinoflagelates algae

Nosey

It's grows everywhere. Rase your PH with Kalk mix, and rase your Alk, it's working for me. The lights out thing doesn't really work IMO, or isn't a long term fix. It will take about 3 to 4 weeks

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
el_vulture619

I have started to add kalkwasser today to raise the ph. I had been looking for pickling lime to save some money but I guess its out of season and cant find it.

In the mean time its been limited lights and manual removal by blasting the rocks and skimming it out with a fish net. It has helped keep it in check till I can start raising the ph.

Adding some pics of my pain

PICT0001-2.jpg

PICT0002.jpg

PICT0003.jpg

PICT0004-1.jpg

el_vulture619

Pickling lime and Kalk are suposed to be the same thing, except one is $1.30 lb and the other is $10+ 8 oz :o

Update: Some of the strands are turning gray and shrinking back, time will tell!

• 2 weeks later...
el_vulture619

Yes Sir! I was getting ready to post...

I have raised the PH to 8.5 and the dinos have almost disappeared! There is still a little strand here and there. Nothing like the pics now that I see them again. I try my best to keep the PH at 8.5..my torch loves it!

I had to change the water, filter was clogging and detritus hanging out in the corners. The dinos were feeding off that crap.

Now I just have good ol turf algae.. :lol: some times I wonder if these stock light in my T5 fixture have to much green, I need to clean algae off the glass daily!

I'm not sure about your T5 set up, I use Mh, but im happy to hear that you are winning the fight with the Dino’s. How did you raise your PH level? Did you raise your Alc at all? or what is it reading? I’m trying to document what works, and what doesn’t. If Dino’s can be beat with a simply method, then everyone should know.

Ok i just went back, and read that your using Kalk to raise your PH. I used the same thing, but it's messy, there must be a better way of keeping the PH level at 8.6 ish!

any thoughts about tanks that get a lot of natural sunlight? I have dealt with red/brown string like things a couple of times over the years and find it to be a close resemblance to what I see here. I am thinking about moving my tank location to avoid natural sunlight while getting my aquapod back to being stocked with things other than my LR, CUC, and a couple fish.

I know direct sunlight can be the cause of many different types of Algae, but my guess is that if you’re seeing Dino's there is something else going on in your tank. I would look at your water parameters i.e. Alc, PH. I’m now a firm believer that Dino’s are more connected to your water chemistry, then anything else.

el_vulture619
......I would look at your water parameters i.e. Alc, PH. I’m now a firm believer that Dino’s are more connected to your water chemistry, then anything else.

+1, I had an older PC light I was using till I got my T5 fixture. New lights but still had dinos all over. The problem I am having now is keeping the PH constant. It tends to dip over time. I would like to have a digital PH meter because this color crap chart crap is hard to read.

I dont think the kalk is all that messy, I mix mine in a pitcher with RO water and then pump it in with a syringe next to the power heads.

Ya I have problems with my Ph as well, but more so my Alc, it's hard for me to get it up over 9. I have to dose three times the recommended dose, just to keep it up around 8 to 9 dkh

I agree. I am going to use pickling lime after my 2-part is gone. I need to boost both parameters. my ph is 7.8 to 8 and my dkh is 8. How would you deliver the kalk to the tank, and in what quantities? I am currently using a syringe and slow dropping 6 mL. of each part after my top-off water is added. I am thinking that I will just use the 2 teaspoon to a gallon recipe and use it as my top-off water. Does that sound about right?

el_vulture619

I have no experience with kalk till this treatment...... so take my experience for what its worth! :unsure:

It depends on what size tank you have. I have a 40b and pumped in 9 oz over 2hrs to get the PH up to 8.5 when I first started. Now I just add what is needed to maintain PH..around 3-6 oz every 2-3 days.

I followed the directions for raising PH on my test kit. Do not raise PH by more than .5 a day.

el_vulture619

Well I was gone for the weekend to Ohio.... and the dinos made a slight gain even with the lights out all weekend.....

So I am tired of adding kalk to keep them in check. Since I have seen the additional benefits of a higher PH with my coral I will keep adding it; but adding it just to keep dinos in check I am doubting.

Today I will go get some red slime killa and see what happens.... I dont like chemicals but what can I do?!

Nosey you used it once but messed the treatment up some how right. Ill keep you all posted.

I did, and it was working, but had to end it a full day early because of an ich outbreak. What is your dkh at for the most part???

el_vulture619

Honestly I have not tested the dkh with a seperate test kit. ( DKH only). Just some test strips that give an overall reading. They all read off the chart for the test strips.

The product I am using is called Slime Erase, made by Fish Vets in Dayton Ohio. The directions say to add every other day 3 oz per 50g

I will pick up an DKH kit this week, I have been adding baking soda to keep that up.

The war continues! :owned::lockdown:

greatdanelover

Here is a 2 Minute video of my stringy demon's between them and some GH algae I need a good batch of Holy water. I am going to go topless as soon as my MH fixture gets here this week and I am also going to run a skimmer as well. Will try the PH trick and see what happens. Any an all advice is always welcomed.

Visit My Website

Looks like Dino's to me , I have heard of blacking out for a couple days and suck as much out as you can. Not sure tho.

johnmaloney

rob it of iron. Water changes add in iron, after time the dinos will starve themselves. Nitrates and phosphates you can't help but let in, iron you can deplete.

I'm telling you, jack up your DKH with DKH buffer. I have to dose my tank sometimes 3 times a day to keep it at the right level. If your tank has hard and soft corals, your going to want to dose your DKH anyways. I don't use the baking soda method, I would think it would get all messy trying to bake it all the time. If my DKH level has dropped to a low, like 6 or 7dkh ( it should be at 9dkh) I’ll get a very thin layer of reddish brown algy, I’m not sure if it’s Dino’s anymore, but as soon as I raise my DKH it disappears, almost within min. I test my dkh maybe three times a day, once in the morning, when I get home from work, and if it’s still not right, I’ll test again before I go to bed. It will change depending on what time of day it is.

Looks like Dino's to me , I have heard of blacking out for a couple days and suck as much out as you can. Not sure tho.

Turning out the lights doesn't really work all that well. It works until you turn your lights back on....lol

Archived