Cultivated Reef

Automated Reef Controller Build

Vancouver Reefer

Vancouver Reefer

Hey Gasturbineguy,

If your into the PLC'shave a look here:

http://web4.automationdirect.com/adc/Overv...le_Micro_Brick)

You can have a PLC and 3" HMI touchscreen for under $250!!!!! Once i get my aquatroller finished im going to look at interfacing it to the PLC and placing a touch screen in the stand.

If you follow along on here there is alot of digital DIYing happening. I too have been in the PLC industry and learning the arduino stuff by trial and error since Jan. Its not hard to grab hold of and with it being open source there is tonnes of information out there.

I have ran out of I/O and memory on my build so i came across this cheap little controller that im now upgrading to:

http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/

Also to add to the ever expanding list, ive just come up with an idea for a automated frozen food block dispenser. At this rate im going to need an entire basement just to house all my gadgets going on my 55Gal corner bow!!!!!

VR

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

how exactly can you accomplish automated feeding of frozen food? I've been looking for a solution to this problem myself...

Vancouver Reefer

nate82,

All will be revealed sometime this year!!!! And you wont believe how simple the solution is!!!!! ;)

Blast!

I blew my last buckpuck last night. I noticed that when running my 4 blue LED's (power supply at 16v) the buckpuck became rather hot to touch.

I soldered and screwed the rest of the LEDs into place last night; to give me 2 strings of 6 LEDs; bumped up the supply voltage to 24v and within 0.5seconds - bang! A hole had blown out of the side of the buckpuck close to the "Vin -" wire.

My power supply has a 36" wire, and I am not using the recommended 220uf capacitor. Could this be the reason for the blow?

Here is a nice photo, I think the black heatsink looks cool :D

post-44384-1245580151_thumb.jpg

Greetings,

for those who want to try this controller I have an additional DS1307 board. I accidentally ordered in two places. It goes for $12. PM if interested.

cheers,

Marian

Blast!

I blew my last buckpuck last night. I noticed that when running my 4 blue LED's (power supply at 16v) the buckpuck became rather hot to touch.

I soldered and screwed the rest of the LEDs into place last night; to give me 2 strings of 6 LEDs; bumped up the supply voltage to 24v and within 0.5seconds - bang! A hole had blown out of the side of the buckpuck close to the "Vin -" wire.

My power supply has a 36" wire, and I am not using the recommended 220uf capacitor. Could this be the reason for the blow?

Here is a nice photo, I think the black heatsink looks cool :D

The capacitor is just there to filter noise induced on such long wires. It couldn't have caused that issue. Changing the voltage drastically while the unit was on might have though.

The capacitor is just there to filter noise induced on such long wires. It couldn't have caused that issue. Changing the voltage drastically while the unit was on might have though.

Thanks evilc66,

I didn't increase the voltage while the unit was on, everything was turned off while I re-soldered the LED's and I upped the voltage while it was all off. When I plugged it all back together, bang!

I am supplying 24v to the buckpuck for the 6 xr-e's - that should be ok by what I've read. I have read elsewhere that there is an internal capacitor which may be blown if the buckpuck to boost the circuit voltage higher than the input voltage; during spikes for example. Maybe the 220uf capacitor would help maintain operation during spikes??

• 2 weeks later...

I did some experimenting last weekend :-D

I tried wiring another buckpuck up. This time I placed a 220uf cap inline and kept the leads from the cap to the puck about 12". The puck got quite warm..

I tried again with about 4" leads, buckpuck stays approx ambient temperature :-D

I now have 1 of the 2 light channels dimming and lighting under control of arduino; real time clock based.

All I need now is buck #2 and a nice project box.. I have a true working system

• 2 weeks later...
Vancouver Reefer

Dont you just love the chaos of a prototype!!! My girlfirend just rolls her eyes and walks off when i try to explain it to her!!!

3719823844_c6ffe5bf5c.jpg?v=0

:rolleyes:

VR

Well, I found another DIY controller. Evil and others on this thread, what was the other thread that 2 guys were working on and Mr. Fosi and you were advising on some special uses and probes to use and they were trying to get face plates made w/out having to pay the layout fee as it's there already they were trying to keep costs to $89.00 or so buying parts or kitting it themselves. for some reason I cannot locate it since we had the hiccup Not to hijack this thread, but I am glad I found this...

I have this thread tracked now. Good show OP!

Cheers,

Tom

Edited to fix spelling, some grammar... I just think faster than I type and get ahead sometimes. LOL

Well, I found another DIY controller. Evil and others on this thread, what was the other thread that 2 guys were working on and Mr. Fosi and you were advising on some special uses and probes to use and they were trying to get face plates made w/out having to pay the layout fee as it's there already they were trying to keep costs to $89.00 or so buying parts or kitting it themselves. for some reason I cannot locate it since we had the hiccup Not to hijack this thread, but I am glad I found this...

I have this thread tracked now. Good show OP!

Cheers,

Tom

Edited to fix spelling, some grammar... I just think faster than I type and get ahead sometimes. LOL

Here is that link you are looking for. ReefBuddy Aquarium Controller

VR I love that prototype. If it were up to me everything I built would look like that just to make people go "whaaaa". Can't wait to see it up and running on your tank.

Vancouver Reefer

Yep there is not much left to do.

Only build my PH and salinity circuits, LED lighting ( ill do once i receive my tank )and thats about it.

Then the next phase will be to learn how to make a user interface for it to connect to my Laptop etc.

Once the prototype is all finished and nothing interacts then ill have the boards sent out to be made.

Its going to look and work sweet when its all done, especially once i add the 4 pump doser to it!

VR

Vancouver Reefer

Ok guys so its update time!!!!

Here is a list of whats completed right now with my controller:

Arduino Mega

RTC

16x4 4 bit LCD

ATO with built in protection timer and on/off override

Auto water changer

Auto salt mix preparer

Alarm mute and reset

Flood detection

Feed switch to cut off main circ pump for feeding and Maintenance

Sunrise and sunsets for led array and fuge

Chiller runaway cutoff

Heater runaway cutoff

PWM cooling fans for led array ( Fan speed proportional to Heat sink temp )

Fresh water reservoir low water detection

Alarms for :

Chiller & heater runaway

Flood detected

Tank temp to high/low

Tank ph too high/low

Tank Salinity too high/low

Reservoir water level low

External pumps cutoff if flood detected.

Serial commands from pc to remotely activate:

AWC start/stop

Salt mix start/stop

Alarm mute/reset

Currently working on:

Home made LED drivers ( 9 off )

Home made Peristaltic pump drives and controls ( 4 off ) ( Dosing, Priming & Calibrating )

Salinity measurement circuits for main tank and salt mix

PH measurement circuits for main tank and salt mix

PC to controller WIFI connection

Im almost done so then ill be able to tackle learning how to make a GUI to interface to the PC for real time monitoring, datalogging and remote control.

If any of you have any idea of an easy to learn, yet powerful GUI software please let me know. A nice GUI is all that is needed to top off this incredible build!! Ive even impressed myself at how far ive got and especially since ive never done anything like this before last December!!!

Theres no pics yet other than whats been posted above but once i start fabricating ill be tanking lots of pics!!!

VR

Vancouver Reefer

Its already in the process!! I know both myself and Hcsceo already have probes on order and he has got his circuit in the prototype stage.

I will be not far behind when payday arrives!

VR.

Ok guys so its update time!!!!

Here is a list of whats completed right now with my controller:

Arduino Mega

RTC

16x4 4 bit LCD

ATO with built in protection timer and on/off override

Auto water changer

Auto salt mix preparer

Alarm mute and reset

Flood detection

Feed switch to cut off main circ pump for feeding and Maintenance

Sunrise and sunsets for led array and fuge

Chiller runaway cutoff

Heater runaway cutoff

PWM cooling fans for led array ( Fan speed proportional to Heat sink temp )

Fresh water reservoir low water detection

Alarms for :

Chiller & heater runaway

Flood detected

Tank temp to high/low

Tank ph too high/low

Tank Salinity too high/low

Reservoir water level low

External pumps cutoff if flood detected.

Serial commands from pc to remotely activate:

AWC start/stop

Salt mix start/stop

Alarm mute/reset

Currently working on:

Home made LED drivers ( 9 off )

Home made Peristaltic pump drives and controls ( 4 off ) ( Dosing, Priming & Calibrating )

Salinity measurement circuits for main tank and salt mix

PH measurement circuits for main tank and salt mix

PC to controller WIFI connection

Im almost done so then ill be able to tackle learning how to make a GUI to interface to the PC for real time monitoring, datalogging and remote control.

If any of you have any idea of an easy to learn, yet powerful GUI software please let me know. A nice GUI is all that is needed to top off this incredible build!! Ive even impressed myself at how far ive got and especially since ive never done anything like this before last December!!!

Theres no pics yet other than whats been posted above but once i start fabricating ill be tanking lots of pics!!!

VR

nice work man Are you going to share code and components when complete?

And I may be able to contribute if you are looking for a web interface.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Vancouver Reefer

Hi all,

Since my design has exploded in size i completely redid my webpage journal for my Aquatroller. Please feel free to take a pak by clicking on my signature link!!!!

Wont be long before its all up and running!!!

VR.

OOOOhhhh.... Hey I like the new site design. You give a lot of great information there.

Actually you're using a lot of the same equipment that I will be using. I'm in the process still. I'm excited to see your final build pages, and your code pages.

Keep up the good work.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Vancouver Reefer

Hi,

Sorry for the late replay ive been out flying in the Bush of northern BC and Alberta for a while so no chance to reply sooner.

Progress has been a little slow due to moving house, being laid off twice and all the usual crap life seems to throw at you all in one go, but im pleased to say its all sorted out and now, and i can jump back on here and get this thing finished.

I updated my webpage today, as Google seemed to kick every one off the webpage hosting for a while. So i put on some new pics and words of where im at.

Enjoy!!

https://sites.google.com/site/richardorme1979/

• 1 month later...

I would love to know what you are doing for the salinity and ph probes. What probes and where are you buying the PH probes? Are you building the salinity probe yourself?

I ask because I'm in the research stage of an arduino controller. I can DIY a temp probe and circuit fairly simply, but I'm looking to not reinvent the wheel on the PH/Salinity if I don't have to. At the same time, I really don't want to buy an off the shelf hobbyist conductivity probe since I plan on having multiple conductivity probes connected.

Also, I see you went with the Mega. How much out of memory were you when you switched? Would it be plausible to run it without the Mega's extra memory?

Thanks! I love the site, great read!

I would love to know what you are doing for the salinity and ph probes. What probes and where are you buying the PH probes? Are you building the salinity probe yourself?

I ask because I'm in the research stage of an arduino controller. I can DIY a temp probe and circuit fairly simply, but I'm looking to not reinvent the wheel on the PH/Salinity if I don't have to. At the same time, I really don't want to buy an off the shelf hobbyist conductivity probe since I plan on having multiple conductivity probes connected.

Also, I see you went with the Mega. How much out of memory were you when you switched? Would it be plausible to run it without the Mega's extra memory?

Thanks! I love the site, great read!

My friend,

take a look at reefprojects.com We have successfully implemented pH, Salinity is not a useful thing, If you are serious about this hobby you should know better.

Marian

Archived