Cultivated Reef

10g upgraded to 47g column!

spazizz

don't meen to jack your thread jonny to cool but your upgrade in tanks is similar to what I'm doing right now. If you could just shoot me somm advise on wether or not you had to let your new tank cycle prior to moving stuff from the nano into it? I've got a 29gal and am upgrading to a 60 tall and am very anxious to get stuff into the new tank, Could I just move my existing sand bed and rock into the 60 along with the water from the 29 and moniter from there or am I stuck cycling the 60 first then adding everything from the 29? (ps the 29 only has a clown, a 6-line wrasse and a firefish, along with 6 shrooms and a couple polyps so not to much in there)

I appreciate any tips you can shoot me and again sorry for jackin your build thread!!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK well I didnt let my tank cycle. Its just coming out of the cycle right now. I just added all the new rocks into my me new tank waited a day then added active sand. I added all my old rocks to my new tank to and added all my fish and corals. My monti and all my softies are doing great but i lost my frogspawn and a chromis. Your tank should be fine with the switch over just keep a eye on every thing.

oh and it looks like im adding a tang since i got no responses.

I LOVE the yellow eye kole tang, I'm going to put one in my 65 after I buy a house. I also love the achilles tang, but that'll hafta wait for an even bigger tank.

I have a midas blenny in my tank at home and I love him. He's so full of life, always swimming around then dropping into his cave to watch the clowns. Lots of personality. Royal gramma's have lots of color too, but are kind of boring to watch. Purple pseudochromis' are sweet with lots of personality. They'll respond to your finger against the glass and follow you, however, they're kind of aggressive and need to be added after the tank has inhabitants. You could also get a psychedelic mandarin and train it to eat frozen, that would be a nice little addition. For some color, add a couple fire shrimp. You could go with a leapard or mystery wrasse also, those are always cool looking. I like the fairy wrasse's also. Algea blenny's have alot of personality too and are fun to watch scour the rockwork for algea and post up on monti-caps. Same with scooter's. I'm a fan of copperband butterflyfish as well, but you've gotta be careful to keep them fed once the aiptasia is gone or they'll head straight for your corals.

If you're into higher end stuff, go for a borbonius anthias. The borbonius anthias' are REALLY sweet. They've got a badass 'spiked' dorsal fin and have a pretty cool personality once they get used to you.

I was think anthias, but i wish i could have butterfly and angelfish they seem to be the only cool big fish small enough for the trade but they all belong in Fish only tanks.

moneyman6891

I would go with anthias. Dont put a yellow tang, they are so boring their just yellow. Get something with lots of color. Flame Angels, or a flasher wrasse would look cool.

Thats funny the first thing i suggested was a flame angel. Sounds like i am making sugestions. Several at that.

oh yes my apollgies, i missed that suggestion. But i dont want a flame since i have a cherub already but the yellow would be nice cuz they are big and bam theres a big yellow thing swimming in there. plus id get that yellow i want like i wanted with the lemonpeel.

Well before you go and buy a yellow tang maybe look at a Philippine yellow tang. There a bit different and darker in color. :D But its up to you.

clownfish1124

maybe a little longer, until it gets ich. it needs a lot of swimming room, and the foot print of your tank is like 20x20 inches or something?

how is it going to get ich? ich is a parasite, only way i see that happening is if i introduce a fish present with ICH then it giving it to my fish.

but that foot print is right.

clownfish1124

ich is caused by stress. i fish that likes to swim a lot is going to get stressed in that size tank very fast and get ich. it is just as long as a standard 10, so even though you have 37 extra gallons, it is just as cruel as putting a tang in a 10 gallon aquarium

Archived