Pod Your Reef

splitskater's 14g biocube, NEW CORALS AND CLAM!

splitskater

I am planning on getting a 14g BC soon and every time I read about them, it says "Curved Glass Front Corners" I wondered what that meant since, if it was all glass, doesn't seem like they'd emphasize that the corners were glass.

Looked at one earlier today at a PetSupplies Plus store. The curved corners ARE glass but the sides seemed to be acrylic. The tank was empty so I tapped it and it was a plastic, hollow sound--not like glass at all. Then I lifted it...seemed too light to be all glass. Don't know if that's possible--if they can curve glass right into acrylic and make a tank out of both materials.

And Splitskater...I have loved watching the progress of your tank!

thanks, not sure about the glass into acrylic, but seems acrylic to me.

a quick update, my zoa and candy cane coral are gone. the zoas seemed doomed from the day i got them and the must have been dying the amphipods and bristol worms finished them off. i glued down the candy cane but something knocked it over either one of the clownfish are my emerald and when i got home from work it had huge gashes in it, i suspect from rolling down the rock and it all brown and mushy, i thought it was a goner so took it out other than that everything seems ok.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i added a cleaner shrimp yesterday, headed right to the back of the tank and hid behind the rocks all day. i woke up this morning to see my emerald eating a fresh molt, so he has been hiding out, but came running out when i fed the fish, and i managed to get a few bad pics of him before he hid again.

P1000413.jpg

P1000436.jpg

P1000427.jpg

also looking for a 16.5" 70w sunpod, if anyone has one lying around, didnt post in the hardware classifieds there is always someone already there looking, havent been able to find one always seem to be people ahead of me when i think i get lucky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Check Craigslist. Look in all the big cities. Most people are willing to ship and they are easy to find.

Check Craigslist. Look in all the big cities. Most people are willing to ship and they are easy to find.

cool i have been checking craigslist but only areas close to me, i was kind of hoping to buy from somebody on this site but i guess i have to take what i can get

• 2 weeks later...

just got a new torch that looked great at my lfs but am not to pleased when i got home to find 4 dead heads on it and something pulsing in and out of 2 of the dead heads which i tried to take a pic of. about 4 days ago i added 2 colonies of zoas that dont seem to be doing to good some polyps seem like they just want to fall off and other seem like they are withering away.....here are the pics

P1000467.jpg

P1000468.jpg

P1000469.jpg

P1000472.jpg

P1000473.jpg

torch4.jpg

so the reason that the salinity appears so high is because there are bubbles attatched to the plastic piece i use a skewer and reach in with it and knock off the bubbles, then it reads correctly

• 2 weeks later...

Tank looks great! I really like your scape...fits the tank perfectly!

How are your corals? Did you dip them before you added them? I am fairly new too...but I think it would be good advice to always dip before adding to your display tank. I have SeaChem Reef Dip. Maybe the zoas had something wrong with them to begin with?

been a little while since my last update if anyone is reading.

just added a 16.5" 70w sunpod which is great love the light and the shimmer effect, the only thing i dont like is the fan is twice as loud as the fans in the stock biocube hood.....may look into an upgrade to a quieter fan. havent added any new corals lately, but everything is looking good zoas finally open and healthy....i hate my torch and want to get rid of it. my emerald is a mammouth since his last molt his claws are enormous, i witnessed him throwing around a hermit which i wasnt to happy about but i will keep a close eye on him. here are some random pics, the quality sucks but i am trying....

P1000484.jpg

P1000481.jpg

P1000482.jpg

P1000485.jpg

P1000486.jpg

P1000487.jpg

additions to the tank are going to be few and far between in the next few months because i am not sure what direction i am going, want the tank to mature more so i can maybe get a clam and some sps down the road.

Tank looks great! I really like your scape...fits the tank perfectly!

How are your corals? Did you dip them before you added them? I am fairly new too...but I think it would be good advice to always dip before adding to your display tank. I have SeaChem Reef Dip. Maybe the zoas had something wrong with them to begin with?

i did do a fresh water dip for the zoas to get any parasites off, but they seem to be doing a lot better now

• 1 month later...
splitskater

havent posted in over a month so here is an update:

new fts

P1000493.jpg

frogspawn got huge!!

got a cool purple plate coral, a maxima clam, and a gsp frag a few days ago, everything seems to be doing great except for the gsp which hasnt opened at all yet here are some pics.

plate

P1000494.jpg

clam thats looks almost brown from the front, but the top down shot is an awesome blue.

P1000496.jpg

P1000499.jpg

i had the clam facing foward but he didnt seem to like the way i had him so it turned around backwards which i am not to happy about, have to see if he moves again or try to figure something out

gsp

P1000495.jpg

i got a big shipment of corals coming tomorrow of 4 zoa frags and 6 ricordeas of asssorted colors, will posts some pics when i get them all situated.

Now someone comment so i am not talking to myself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

splitskater
Looking good. Very nice clam, great coloration.

thanks, just wish he would face foward, still amazing though

• 1 month later...

Hey, Splitskater;

Interesting threat... just finish reading. Any updates?

What happened to your torch? Why did you hate it?

I started my Bio Cube recently, and so far the only problem I got is temperature. Can't get it bellow 81-83. :o Little hot, I know. But I'm working in to solve this.

I'll be following, keep posting.

Archived