Innovative Marine Aquariums

splitskater's 14g biocube, NEW CORALS AND CLAM!

splitskater

more pics kind of blury i have a panasonic lumix 9 megapixel but have to figure out how to use it.

bubbles in algae

P1000325.jpg

red feathery thing in center of picture more red in person

P1000324.jpg

no what i thought were diatoms on the algae in the sand has bubbles too

I didn't turn my lights on during my tank's cycle for this reason on my current BC. I have had tank's before that developed "bubble algae" by IMO having the lights on too soon. It was hard to not cut them on but it really better.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
dont diatoms just suck?

Keep up the good work, it will pay off after the few first months

thanks. i never read anywhere about the bubbles, so i was kind of going crazy for a little while.

update on my tank is lots more brown/green algae maybe diatoms maybe not has tons of little bubbles in it both on sand and rocks, spotted 2 more small worms one red with legs or spines and one the was black and white with spines.

just got done testing the water parameters still zero across the board absolutely no ammonia, nitrites, or nitrates.

dont know if the algae are diatoms, cyano, or dinos. i think the are diatoms becuase of the color but wasnt sure if diatoms ever produced bubbles like cyano and dinos do?

have absolutely no idea what is going on with my cycle, whether it ever started or is done or what?

need some guidance, if anybody is willing to help.

a week into my cycle, lots of diatoms, worms, critters roaming around the tank. water temp had been between 78-79 degrees. water parameters have been at 0 for 5 days now no ammonia, nitrites, or nitrates i am thinking about adding a few cuc memebers tomorrow if my params are still at zero. i dont know whats up with my cycle i cant keep track of whats going on without any spikes but i have a ton a diatoms so i assume everything is ok, could my cycle possibly be done this quick i did use precured rock and live sand?

HELP!

day 8 update

water paramters:

ph 8.4

ammonia 0

nitrite 0

nitrate 0

temp 79

sg 1.025

day 6 on my water params at 0 i decided after asking around in th beginners forum to add a clean crew.

1 emerald crab

3 blue leg hermits (only asked for 2, saved $1)

3 astrea snails

2 cerith snails

3 nassaurius snails

i thought this variety pack would be a good start to the CUC as i didnt want to add to much to quick, they have been in for a few hours and have been eating non-stop. most of my algae bloom is gone, and water is crystal clear. i didnt realize how much the cuc would cost everything stated above was $42 with tax which isnt a lot but for some reason i thought snails would be cheaper the $3 a piece (should have paid more attention in my planinng stages).

here is an update FTS and some CUC pics:

P1000330.jpg

P1000332.jpg

P1000333.jpg

it is nice to have some life in the tank, i plan on adding cleaner shrimp in 1-2 weeks

day 9

noticed a small organism on the underside of one of my rocks which turns out to be a tunicate or sponge (thanks to the ID forum)

bought a mag float for acrylic to use on my bio cube and the first time i used it put a nice 5 inch scratch right across the front of my tank

CUC is cleaning up like crazy although the hermits are next to useless but the emerald and snails have been eating non-stop

Hey there,

Just wanted to let you know I just started a BioCube 14 as well. only up for 3 days, some light brown algae growth on some of the LR. I'll get some pictures up soon. Best of luck, I'll be following!

Hey there,

Just wanted to let you know I just started a BioCube 14 as well. only up for 3 days, some light brown algae growth on some of the LR. I'll get some pictures up soon. Best of luck, I'll be following!

thanks, do have a build thread going?

good luck

day 9

noticed a small organism on the underside of one of my rocks which turns out to be a tunicate or sponge (thanks to the ID forum)

bought a mag float for acrylic to use on my bio cube and the first time i used it put a nice 5 inch scratch right across the front of my tank

CUC is cleaning up like crazy although the hermits are next to useless but the emerald and snails have been eating non-stop

Hi there! I just started my 14g Biocube too (although I bought it used so it was kind of set up for 6 months before).. so far it's a LOT of fun just watching the rocks and trying to figure out all the strange creatures popping in and out ;)

I love your rockscaping... I'm still really not happy with mine, so once we break up one into rubble for the filter (and add some chaeto) we're gonna buy another piece and hopefully come to an agreement about what it should look like. I think it's great to spend the time getting one you like asap because as soon as you start getting more things growing in there it limits how/where you can put them.

Looks like you're off to a great start though!!

day 11 update

CUC is doing great and eating like crazy, the emerald hides a lot dont see him to often. water params are ph 8.2, and zeros across the board for the rest. havent seen any pods yet but have my eye out for them, am thinking about adding a cleaner shrimp on friday.

Hi there! I just started my 14g Biocube too (although I bought it used so it was kind of set up for 6 months before).. so far it's a LOT of fun just watching the rocks and trying to figure out all the strange creatures popping in and out ;)

I love your rockscaping... I'm still really not happy with mine, so once we break up one into rubble for the filter (and add some chaeto) we're gonna buy another piece and hopefully come to an agreement about what it should look like. I think it's great to spend the time getting one you like asap because as soon as you start getting more things growing in there it limits how/where you can put them.

Looks like you're off to a great start though!!

it took me hours to get the rockscaping the way i wanted, but am really happy with the way it came out. i am finding tons a little creatures and stuff coming out of the rocks crawling around. do you have any pics of your set or a thread going?

i am not happy i got another scratch from my mag float on the outside of the glassit is about a 1/2 inch long and able to feel it with my finger nail, located dead center in the front of the tank the second scratch in a week.

angry

Biocubes are acrylic, I think, so you should be using an acrylic scraper not a glass one if you are not already. Also you have to be careful not to scrape if you have any gravel caught between the magnets.

Biocubes are acrylic, I think, so you should be using an acrylic scraper not a glass one if you are not already. Also you have to be careful not to scrape if you have any gravel caught between the magnets.

they advertise the biocube as glass but i bought the one for acrylic just to be safe, and i was being extra careful i used it the other day no problem, but i dont know i think i may not use the mag float anymore and may look it to other options, maybe a sponge of something. does everybody leave it in the tank or take it out everytime and clean it? and wow....3 pages

I use the mag float in both my 8 and 14 and don't have any issues with scratching. What size magfloat did you get? Perhaps the magnets are to strong and causing the scratches. Maybe a smaller size would work better.

I use the mag float in both my 8 and 14 and don't have any issues with scratching. What size magfloat did you get? Perhaps the magnets are to strong and causing the scratches. Maybe a smaller size would work better.

i got the smallest one at my lfs it is 2 1/2 inch wide not sure if it is the smallest one or not.

the scratch is on the outside of the tank so not sure how something could get in there, and it is the only scratch from this cleaner

they advertise the biocube as glass but i bought the one for acrylic just to be safe, and i was being extra careful i used it the other day no problem, but i dont know i think i may not use the mag float anymore and may look it to other options, maybe a sponge of something. does everybody leave it in the tank or take it out everytime and clean it? and wow....3 pages

They are Glass, try to make sure that no sand or tiny pebbles are stuck in the cleaner, I first wipe it off on my shirt just to make sure. Alot of people order their cleaner from this guy http://www.nimblenano.com/default.htm check it out...

btw great tank..

They are Glass, try to make sure that no sand or tiny pebbles are stuck in the cleaner, I first wipe it off on my shirt just to make sure. Alot of people order their cleaner from this guy http://www.nimblenano.com/default.htm check it out...

btw great tank..

i have checked out the nimble before looks pretty cool, but i may be done with the magnetic cleaner, i may just use a sponge on the inside of the tank with a sponge or the old cleaning pad on a stick.

the tank is coming along good cant wait to get some livestock in there

The biggest benefit to having a magnetic cleaner is the fact that your hands don't need to go into the tank. Every time you put your hands in the tank you are risking contaminating the water, and stressing out the fish.

The biggest benefit to having a magnetic cleaner is the fact that your hands don't need to go into the tank. Every time you put your hands in the tank you are risking contaminating the water, and stressing out the fish.

yea that is a good point, what about a dr foster and smith algae scraper or something similar? i have read they work pretty well, but i dont know how it would work around the corners though.

They are Glass,

Wanna bet on that? :lol:

I feel your pain i scratched mine with a cleaning pad said to be safe for all tanks.I had to buy another one and swap it all out.What a pita..........

Archived