Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Jenna's 10g w/ built in fuge

Jenna

We bought our salt and sand yesterday. Today we are getting some distilled water. We'll fill the tank and add the salt and let the powerhead mix it for a few days. Our shipment that has the heater and light is supposed to be here Wednesday. Once we get the tank up to temp and make certain the salinity is good, then we'll add the sand and go buy the rock. Hubby and I are hoping to get the rock Thursday. We are so excited! Just seeing water in the tank is going to be way cool! LOL

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Woohoo!!!!! We are officially up and running. Actually I started the tank 2 days ago but I was waiting for the sandstorm to subside. We have 10 pounds of live rock purchased from a local reefer and 10 pounds of live sand. Without further ado....

From the left

P1010523.jpg

From the right

P1010524.jpg

From the end

P1010528.jpg

A few close ups of the rock

P1010526.jpg

P1010525.jpg

P1010527.jpg

A few shots of the tank and the table its on

P1010529.jpg

P1010530.jpg

I was worried about someone stepping on the power center and drips of water so here is my solution (yes, I know I still need to get a GFCI outlet)

P1010521.jpg

P1010522.jpg

I'm thinking my cycle won't take too long because we did buy our rock from a local reefer and it was only out of the water a couple of minutes while we chose. Then we transported it in a bucket of water. Then it was out for a wee bit as we arranged the rock. (crosses fingers) I'll start testing in the next day or two.

*bounces in my seat* Its up and running!!!

I just did my first major round of tests.

SG - 1.025

pH - 7.8 ( a bit on the low side)

temp - 76F (just installed a better heater so that'll be coming up to about 78F)

Ammonia - slightly above 0

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - 0

I felt like a mad scientist with test tubes and all. I should have put on my lab coat. LOL

I just did my first major round of tests.

SG - 1.025

pH - 7.8 ( a bit on the low side)

temp - 76F (just installed a better heater so that'll be coming up to about 78F)

Ammonia - slightly above 0

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - 0

I felt like a mad scientist with test tubes and all. I should have put on my lab coat. LOL

Check out Coral Corral if your in Tampa Bay area

clownfish1124

doesn't everyone? except for the cheaters who use dip test strips (like the pee paper...)

Finally solved the issue with my sand blowing around. I tried downgrading to the Maxi-jet 600 but it was still doing it. So I bore out the return hole large enough to fit the deflector that came with the power head. Using that, I was able to put the 900 back on it and its not messing with the sand. I had to fiddle with the angle a bit but all is well now and I'm a happy camper! :happydance:

Finally solved the issue with my sand blowing around. I tried downgrading to the Maxi-jet 600 but it was still doing it. So I bore out the return hole large enough to fit the deflector that came with the power head. Using that, I was able to put the 900 back on it and its not messing with the sand. I had to fiddle with the angle a bit but all is well now and I'm a happy camper! :happydance:

Take a pic I'd like to see that.

Steve

Here are some new photos. Steve, you can see the deflector I added. Also, the tank has cleared out considerably. I'm SO happy with it!!!!!

P1010546.jpg

P1010547.jpg

P1010548.jpg

I still haven't gotten a rise on my ammonia levels. But, the tank has only been running about a week. I may not get much of a cycle as the rock was well cured and we transported it in water so it was never really exposed much. But, there are no algae or diatom blooms as of yet so we still have a long way to go.

Day 8 and still no sign of ammonia, nitrite or nitrate. The good news is that I got my Chaeto today! I got a huge bit of it in the refugium now along with some LR rubble I picked up yesterday.

Oh, I found a snail! I think its a Collonista. Its tiny so a pic is out of the question at this point. My camera isn't that good and this little guy is smaller than a split pea. It spends the majority of its time on the acrylic. I've also found 2 aiptasia and two other critters. Definitely anemones of some sort but the tentacles are short, rather plump and pure white. I can't see the base as its coming out of the rock itself. I'm also seeing a bit of algae growing now. Its still very short but covering a fair bit of area. Would it be safe to get another snail to put in so it doesn't get out of hand?

Day 8 and still no sign of ammonia, nitrite or nitrate. The good news is that I got my Chaeto today! I got a huge bit of it in the refugium now along with some LR rubble I picked up yesterday.

Oh, I found a snail! I think its a Collonista. Its tiny so a pic is out of the question at this point. My camera isn't that good and this little guy is smaller than a split pea. It spends the majority of its time on the acrylic. I've also found 2 aiptasia and two other critters. Definitely anemones of some sort but the tentacles are short, rather plump and pure white. I can't see the base as its coming out of the rock itself. I'm also seeing a bit of algae growing now. Its still very short but covering a fair bit of area. Would it be safe to get another snail to put in so it doesn't get out of hand?

No leave it empty till your cycle is complete. If you have hitchhikers all you can do is let them stay. But don't add anything till it is done. When you are done the new CUC you get will have plenty to do and keep you busy watching till you are ready for fish and stuff.

Steve

It looks like we are officially cycled with regards to the ammonia, etc. I tested this morning again.

Day 12:

Temp: 78F

SG: 1.024

pH: 8.0

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 0

I never seen a spike so either a small one occurred prior to our getting the test kit or our rock, that was well cured and babied in transportation is just tops. 5 days ago I tossed a chunk of frozen brine in and not even that caused a rise in any of the levels. (Yes, I'm testing properly. LOL) The algae blooms have started so I dropped 2 snails in (trying to go slowly). I bought two but the guy gave me 5 so I have to find the other 3 a home. I didn't realize it until I got home but I don't want 5 Nerites in my 10g! The extra Nerites are hanging with some extra rock in a bucket. I have a Peppermint in the tank too. She's only there for eating the aiptasia so she goes back to the LFS this week after she's had her dinner (3 down, 1 to go) or if Ammonia or Nitrites rise. I don't want to keep her long term anyway and I want the aiptasia gone before I put in corals.

I have Bristle worms and pods!!! I've been seeing the pods in the refugium for about a week now and last night I learned I have at least 2 bristle worms. What I have in great abundance right now is algae. I was going to post a few pics of the bristle worms and algae but photobucket was having issues. I do have the pics posted in my blog so you can check it out there. The link is in my signature. I've added Nerite and Cerith snails that are doing a great job on the algae but they have their work cut out for them.

Archived