Top Shelf Aquatics

DIY 15 Gallon AIO, DIY WetWorx Skimmer, and Foam/Rock Wall *NEW PICS 02/14

hcsceo

OOOOO I'm filling it up right now. I have about 3 more gallons to go. I'm having to wait on the RO system to make more water. I'll have pics up shortly.

Steve

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i love this thread its got diy and cool people! and a rely nice looking tank

Where are the cool people? :lol::lol::lol:

OK you and evil are cool. 2 more gallons to go now.

Steve

whatkind of ro/di you runing? its doing a galon every 30min or so....

This is a system installed at my office. Culligan maintains it. It is not a DI system however we have four tanks here and never had a algae problem. I don't think our local supply uses phosphates so that helps. I'm getting tds readings of 4 on this system. It must be a high GPH system maybe 60 a day or so as it makes water really fast. We have about 200 coffee drinkers here and all the water that goes into the Bunn is from the RO system. The RO system is also split to our cold water machine. Nobody would be happy if we had to wait on the water. It's so funny cause it doesn't matter which tank I fill, the last 1/4 seems to take like 400 gallons to finish it off. I guess I'm too excited.

Steve

Where are the cool people? :lol::lol::lol:

OK you and evil are cool. 2 more gallons to go now.

Steve

I can't be one of the cool people. I don't have my Fonzie jacket :)

I can't be one of the cool people. I don't have my Fonzie jacket :)

OK then we give the cool tag to Kraylen. He's been too nice lately. 1 gallon to go (maybe two)

OK here goes. I'll fix the SG tomorrow, it's a little high at 1.027. Other than that I can't believe how quiet it is. I'll be starting a new thread for members tanks for this one. I'll finish this thread out with the completion of the skimmer and ATO. I'll post the members tank link here.

photo-6.jpg

photo-7.jpg

I'm not cool? :tears:

Weetie, there was no need to mention you as it is understood you are the coolest :P But for the record WEETIE IS SUPER COOL!!

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I'm glad you are enjoying this build. Next up, DIY Skimmer and DIY ATO. Stay tuned.

Steve

OK this is B.S. When I designed this tank I was thinking about how cool that suspended light would look on the tank. Looks great right? Well after sitting next to it for 8 hours I have a headache from the light coming out from between the tank and the light. In fact at this point I think it has made me nauseous. I've got to design a screen for it. I've got some left over 1/4 black acrylic and I think I'm going to cut a piece to attach to the front of the light that will hang down to the tank lip. If I hold my mouse pad to that area the light is fine for me.

Steve

Oh noez! That sucks. At least it's fixable.

Exactly, if this is the biggest problem I have then I'll be happy. This is the first time I've ever had a tank make me sick. I'm also thinking of using a gloss black vinyl that would be easy to lift up when I want to reach in and would match the look of the tank. I've got some options and right now the tank light can stay off till I figure it out.

Steve

I get pretty sensitive to flicker from fluorescents too, but it's usually only when I'm looking at another source of flicker that is close to the same frequency, like old tube monitors. That used to give me major migranes. I made the company I worked for buy me a new monitor that could get higher refresh rates so it didn't interfere with the fluorescents. Hasn't been an issue since we moved to LCDs.

• 2 weeks later...

Well after living with the tank for a couple of weeks turns out the light is OK on my eyes. Either I got used to it or it was something else giving me the headaches. For now I'm going to leave it the way it is.

I still haven't started tinkering with the skimmer as I needed a break from this project. Hopefully, I'll get back at the skimmer soon. I know many of you have been excited to see the final outcome. I'm going to change the plans a tad bit so that the pump fits under the media basket when installed. This shouldn't affect the performance of the skimmer at all.

Finally, the media basket. I built this today. If I had to do it over again I probably would have built the front and back out of eggcrate. This would allow the light from the area I left unpainted to get into the basket. That way I could run chaeto in it. I wasn't thinking so maybe I'll rebuild it down the road. For now I'm planning to run both Chemipure Elite and Purigen in the lower level and filter floss on top. The water should dump from the surface skimmer slats right into the basket and flow down through it. The only advantage to this design versus eggcrate front and rear is that the water has to go completely through and can't escape via eggcrate. We'll see how it goes.

photo-8.jpg

Not really. Tank is on cruise control right now. I did install the webcam, there is a link in my sig. I need to build that skimmer but haven't had the time as I've been helping a friend sheetrock a kitchen (which is done now) and got a new smoker so I've been dinking with it. I"ll update with skimmer stuff soon.

Steve

Not really. Tank is on cruise control right now. I did install the webcam, there is a link in my sig. I need to build that skimmer but haven't had the time as I've been helping a friend sheetrock a kitchen (which is done now) and got a new smoker so I've been dinking with it. I"ll update with skimmer stuff soon.

Steve

if your skimmer works i might just have to build one for my red sea max. instead of buying the tunze for 150$

Archived