Pod Your Reef

DIY 15 Gallon AIO, DIY WetWorx Skimmer, and Foam/Rock Wall *NEW PICS 02/14

hcsceo

time for an update dude, i wanna see this tank up and running and full of life!

Yea I'm getting on it. I had to buy a replacment Router as mine broke last weekend so I can finish the base. I'm in the process of welding up the arm that will hole the light setup. I'll post more info this weekend. It think I'll have time to work on it.

Steve

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page.

post your mod here...dont feel like signing up for another forum

I looked at that thread and made a couple of changes to his modification. I'll post all the details once I get it finished. I'm still waiting on the mesh to come in.

Steve

Updates on that foam wall? Glued sand yet?

I glued the back of the sides and the bottom. I've been really busy so I haven't done the front yet. I'm planning to finish it Sunday.

Any update on the skimmer? I would love to ditch that crap Oceanic skimmer.

Evil, I got the gutter guard and mesh mod material in last week. I need to cut it and fit it to the pump. I should be completing this also on Sunday. I still need to build the last revision. I have all the plans completed for this. Sorry I got sidetracked on a new espresso machine for our house and preparing our backyard for summer. This weekd we have company in but I think they are leaving Saturday night so I'll devote sunday to this tank.

Steve

I cut all mine on a tablesaw. You can also use a utility knife and snap but the table saw lets me control the cut and I get nice edges that don't need much work. Use a fine tooth blade for cutting for the best results. Once cut use 220 sandpaper to smooth out the edge. If the edge will be exposed you can use a Heat Gun to melt it back to crystal clear. Hope this helps.

Steve

OK kids I got the rockwork done today. Enjoy.

photo-4.jpg

I used an industrial polymer called Uragel to coat it and pressed the sand into the coating. I've got some fine tuning to do before I mount it with silicone as it expanded just enough to require a little sanding for a good fit.

Stay tuned the light mounting and base are next. You can see in this pic it is sitting in the base I designed. I still have to weld up the light mounting arm and powder coat it. I'm going to try and get it installed this weekend.

Steve

OK kids I got the rockwork done today. Enjoy.

I used an industrial polymer called Uragel to coat it and pressed the sand into the coating. I've got some fine tuning to do before I mount it with silicone as it expanded just enough to require a little sanding for a good fit.

Stay tuned the light mounting and base are next. You can see in this pic it is sitting in the base I designed. I still have to weld up the light mounting arm and powder coat it. I'm going to try and get it installed this weekend.

Steve

Very impressive.....can't wait to see how this works out!

Why do you have extra eggcrate sticking out? Looks sorts like a 1/2 pleneum (?)

to awnser that for him. its to put weight on it so it dosent float when theres water in it

why powder coat? why not just spray paint?

Powder coat is far more durable than paint. It bonds better to the surface of the metal.

+1. It is a far superior surface for metal in highly corrosive applications. it effectively is a plastic coat that is melted to the surface. It also resists impacts. I use this exclusively for my motorcycle restorations.

+1. It is a far superior surface for metal in highly corrosive applications. it effectively is a plastic coat that is melted to the surface. It also resists impacts. I use this exclusively for my motorcycle restorations.

o cool. i figured scuff it up and paint it lol use a rust resistand spray paint.

Very impressive.....can't wait to see how this works out!

Thanks, I can't wait either. To think I still have a cycle to go after all this work!!

WOW best wall ive ever seeeeeeen

OK you don't have to stroke me so hard. LOL

to awnser that for him. its to put weight on it so it dosent float when theres water in it

This is exactly right. In my original design I wanted this extra here to be able to hold it down as the foam is very boyant. However, since I took this photo I"ve cut the extra off. My reasoning is that the back lip of the tank holds the panes in place and I'll be siliconing it to the back and side walls. I also like very shallow sand beds in my display and the eggcrate would have created pockets that animals would not be able to move through. So as of now the extra is gone.

Archived