Coral Vue Hydros

bad batch of reef crystals

burtbollinger

i was contemplating on changing to high end salt as well. but also read they have problems with low calc and mag. there is a thread a while back reporting DD H2O salt have lower than advertised mag and calc levels. imo its not worth the extra money. i can buy 2 buckets of RC salt for the price of DD H2O or TM pro salt.

• 1 month later...

so i just thought of something this past weekend. i should of mixed my bucket of salt since ive been reading how mag and other stuff might settle at the bottom. well i gave that a try last night tumbling the 5 gal bucket around the house trying to get everything mixed well. no dice. calc reads a little higher, 400ppm, mag is between 1260-1290ppm

• 2 weeks later...

I had been a big Reef Cystals supporter for awile, then I started testing the stuff. The PH won't go past 7.7 and the calcuim is usually around 330. I finally switched to the new Seachem and really like it, the true reading are 8.2 Ph and 470 calcium. Glad i made the switch!

I tried RC starting last month, I have had one of the few positive experiances with it. im still using it. everything tested great. Have any of you tried adding it slowly? I add about 2-3 cups at a time... throughout the day. then I continue with WC at night. if I add it all at once it seems to take a much longer time (about an hour, much ). What is the temparature of the water you are mixing? just a theory, but maybe the undissolved white sludge is the calcium and other missing traces... because undissolved salt to me feels granuleated.. undissolved CA feels like sludge (my exp with calcium suppliments). If you live in a cold area add a heater maybe it will work? though i admit im not a salt expert

ANYTIME--- ANYTIME you get a "bad mix" and bad chemistry results (especially from a bucket of salt vs. a small bag of salt)---- you NEED to consider that the chemical powders in the salt may have settled out.

This happens a lot.

I have a bucket of Reef Crystals that is just fine (I forget the numbers but I remember they are 400+ on the CA).

All you need to do is take an empty bucket or two and pour the salt from one to the next to mix it up (beware the dust, do outside if you can).

Since I have a nano, I simply poured the salt over into 1-gallon plastic bags to keep it from settling out in the bucket.

I switched from reef crystals to Instant Ocean and just dose up to what I want in Ca and Mg. Is actually cheaper than buying reef crystals. My problem with reef crystals was it left a whiteish/brown film on the sides of the container. Instant ocean doesn't do that. I assumed it was the extra calcium or trace elements precipitating out of solution, but I'm not sure.

The Propagator
ANYTIME--- ANYTIME you get a "bad mix" and bad chemistry results (especially from a bucket of salt vs. a small bag of salt)---- you NEED to consider that the chemical powders in the salt may have settled out.

This happens a lot.

I have a bucket of Reef Crystals that is just fine (I forget the numbers but I remember they are 400+ on the CA).

All you need to do is take an empty bucket or two and pour the salt from one to the next to mix it up (beware the dust, do outside if you can).

Since I have a nano, I simply poured the salt over into 1-gallon plastic bags to keep it from settling out in the bucket.

EXCELLENT ADVICE !

:D

Like all things dry, loose and are man handled frequently....salt will settle and any separate additives can and will settle some what through the granules.

The Propagator

I like it so far......

How's the tank ?

Got any more frogs spawn you want shed of ?

( this is Brian right ? LOL! )

I am in the process of mixing up a bag of reef crystals right now

Ca2+ 500 ppm api test kit 25 drops

Ph 8.3-8.4 api test kit

Kh(alk) 13 dkh api test kit 13 drops

no3/nh3/no2 0 api test kit

sp,gr 1.025 +/- .001

i have a po4 test kit but is is so hard to clean after i use it

It was purchased from a new petsmart only a few months old. I bought the newest bag. the other bag on the shelf had a bonus 10 percent but the whole bag was as solid as a brick.

when i mix it if preheat the water to 80 then mix in the salt

there are various brown flecks and white flecks though they never go away. They float and i siphon from the bottom then throw away the last inch of water.

I like it so far......

How's the tank ?

Got any more frogs spawn you want shed of ?

( this is Brian right ? LOL! )

yes this is Brian. haha.

the tank is doing fine. the frags i got from you are doing great and growing fast. i do have frogspawn, but none i want to get rid of yet. :P i have a bunch of pulsing xenia you can have, though. lol.

btw. if you have any need/desire for a dual media reactor from bulk reef supply, pm me. i ordered one, but it really isn't going to work with my small sump. i couldn't really find anywhere in my sump for the maxijet to supply the reactor with water. i'm probably going to sell it in the classifieds here, but i thought i'd check with some locals first.

Archived