Coral Vue Hydros

bad batch of reef crystals

burtbollinger

burtbollinger

just tested my fresh batch of reef crystals....SG at 1.025....calcium at @ 330. Gonna dose ca to bring it up to par, but still....looks like I got a bad bucket.

Doesn't Reef Crystals have a low Ca anyway? I used it at one time and switched to Oceanic because of that. Every time I tested it was 380 or below and now with Oceanic it stays at 450.

burtbollinger

that very well could be, but I was expecting that it would be in the 400s...I think I'm going back to basic Coralife next bucket.

Ya I usually get inconsistent results with the reef crystals sometimes I get in the 400 sometimes super low like 320 360 and others like 420 440 its really inconsistent.

This is an old issue which had a lengthy discussion over at Reef Central about 8 months ago. There were bad batches of RC that had Ca levels at around 360-380 when mixed to 1.026. Mg was also low at around 1100.

If you have a good batch Reef Crystals Ca should mix to 420.

It is also true if you contact Aquarium systems you can send them 1-2 cups of salt and they will send you a new bucket. I also went through this with them.

This is an old issue which had a lengthy discussion over at Reef Central about 8 months ago. There were bad batches of RC that had Ca levels at around 360-380 when mixed to 1.026. Mg was also low at around 1100.

If you have a good batch Reef Crystals Ca should mix to 420.

It is also true if you contact Aquarium systems you can send them 1-2 cups of salt and they will send you a new bucket. I also went through this with them.

Just out of curiousity how long do you let your water sit after you add the reef crystals before you add it to the tank?

Just out of curiousity how long do you let your water sit after you add the reef crystals before you add it to the tank?

Sometimes a few hours. Sometimes a few days or somewhere in between. Just depends on what I have going on. With a 2 year old, a 4 year old and a high maintenance wife it's hard to schedule time to myself.

Sometimes a few hours. Sometimes a few days or somewhere in between. Just depends on what I have going on. With a 2 year old, a 4 year old and a high maintenance wife it's hard to schedule time to myself.

make sure she doesnt see that :D

just sent them an email about my low calcium levels, hopefully i can still have my salt replaced by them since i dont live in the states anymore

burtbollinger

I'm gonna give em one more try....maybe i got a bad bucket. as it is now, my opinion of RC is cloudy, messed up garbage....

gonna buy a fresh, smaller bag and hope it mixes clearer. only cause i dont know what alternative to use.

my routine is I make the ro/di water, let it areate for 2 days, then mix it with salt and let it sit for 4 days....in that time, the cloudyness settles into a thick white slime on my water container...and I am able to scoop out clear water form my changes....water with a CA of @ 330....

LAME.

Oh and I called them....they were no help, no offer of returning anything or refunds....

my routine is I make the ro/di water, let it areate for 2 days, then mix it with salt and let it sit for 4 days..

Wow :huh: . that's a week long process! do you ever have algae or crud build up after that many days?

I'm gonna give em one more try....maybe i got a bad bucket. as it is now, my opinion of RC is cloudy, messed up garbage....

gonna buy a fresh, smaller bag and hope it mixes clearer. only cause i dont know what alternative to use.

I used it once becuase the lfs was out of oceanic and I had the same problem it was very cloudy and it never really dissolved completely. Maybe I didnt wait long enopugh but Im not sure. With the oceanic ir dissolves almost instantly it seems. They carry it at PETCO as well so its easy to get. One of the guys at the LFS was telling me the red sea brand is very good and inexpensive as well.

burtbollinger

eh. not too long of a routine...I mean I start making water on Monday for a water change on Sunday....no algae build up or anything.....the ro/di goes from filter to a hefty "garbage" can, where a pump airates it and I buffer it...so no algae there....the water is in the dark and . well, its perfectly clean....

but once i mix the salt and the water in another container, thats when I see the cloudy water, which eventually turns clear, with white slime buildup on the sides and bottom.

like I said...I will not buy another reef crystals bucket....I'll try one more less expensive bag of reef crystals, and if it still does this, then I'm done...or I might just say screw it and buy a bucket of coralife.

I am sick and tired of looking at milky water swirling in my slimy white mixing container.

the ro/di goes from filter to a hefty "garbage" can, where a pump airates it and I buffer it...

but once i mix the salt and the water in another container, thats when I see the cloudy water, which eventually turns clear, with white slime buildup on the sides and bottom.

;Maybe the buffer is the cause of the problem. What are the levels if you just mix up salt + RO/DI?

edit for clarity

RC mixes clear for me also, in 30 mins the water is crystal clear.

from instant ocean's website

Q: My Instant Ocean®/Reef Crystals® will not dissolve properly. I have a cloudy solution with sediment at the bottom of the mixing container. Why?

A: The most common cause of poor solubility is moisture. Some of the compounds used in sea salts are hygroscopic, meaning they readily and quickly draw moisture from their surroundings. If your sea salt has any “clumps” or hardened sections, then this is a sure sign that moisture has been introduced. Sea salt that has absorbed moisture may dissolve with the addition of aeration. The best way to avoid moisture in your sea salt is to re-seal the container immediately after use.

and i come from a country with 90% humidity in the summer

burtbollinger

yeah, I had read that....mine was bone dry and humidity was negligible....

a part of me thinks that the salt want mixed right, meaning some elements had settled in the bucket....and I sould have stirred it better....anyway...the buckets almost gone now....prolly enough for 5 more gallons...

Of salt used so far, the only time it mixed clear for me was when I used a wisk and whipped the crap out of the dry salt before scooping it/sprinkling into my ro/di water.

in the end, cloudiness was annoying but not harmful....it was the crazy low calcium that irks me...330 on average...

bottom line, bad buckets of reef crystals got out into the wild in early 2008, late 2007, and I got one...bought from a dusty old LFS at the wrong place and wrong time.

no biggie...all I'm saying is if you use Reef Crystals, it might be wise to test if before you put it in your tank, if youre not already doing so. I was foolish and didnt do this for a change or two and didnt notice it until my CA was low...

at least instant ocean is willing to replace the bucket/give you a free bucket if in fact the calc is reading low. i, on the other hand, is not so lucky living halfway around the world.

i always liked reef crystals, sucks i have to dose extra calcium to bring it up to ~450ppm.

burtbollinger

I just found a LFS 20 miles from me that has Tropic Marin salt...I'm gonna spend the extra cash on a bucket....hell I feed my cats crazy expensive food too....might as well treat the tanks good....

maybe I'll just change the water every 10 days instead of 7 :)

the cat food is Innova, btw...good stuff.

Archived