Innovative Marine Aquariums

Worm ID pls

Yamato

I agree on the eunice, does it have scary looking jaws that it grabs stuff with? Tentacles on it's head? I had one and took it out because I was worried it may become a problem in a larger tank and harder for me to find. It was fine however in a 2.5 gallon with softies. (mushrooms, zoas, leathers) I would have liked to take it alive but it didn't work out, I ended up removing the rock and squirting hot tap water in the holes until it came out. Mine also made nice little hole coverings with sand and it's sticky goo. I had zero luck trapping it due to the size of the tank, it just grabbed the traps and moved them closer to snack on the goodies, very impressive show of power for a worm. I would leave it as long as you know where it is and can take out the rock if needed, maybe put it in a species only or pest tank. Very shy and quick though.

thanks all for your comments...I am keeping an eye on it and it hasn't do much recently. I will try to get a better pic to share.

It does have tenticals on its head and it does have mandibles that he uses to pick things up.

Will try to keep you posted, but as of now, it has been left alone.

Hello

Just thought I would update all the Reefers in regards to my little friend.

So on Sat, I was doing my usual 20% water change and since I was at it, I figure I would try to catch the little green worm. I took a metal stick and ripped up the little tunnel. The worm flings itself out like some kind of Greek Monster. I grab my tongs and try to get a hold of it, but in my zeal, I snap it in two. I was able to pinch both tail and body out of my tank but he sustained critical injuries as a result of our interaction.

I immediately took some Marco shots and found the worm very very interesting and here are the pics...

It is really too bad it had to end this way, but I didn't want to chance it.

3111945804_bf163f15b1.jpg?v=0

3111112755_b002d04bff.jpg?v=0

3111945440_cea269bf2e.jpg?v=0

The worm was about two inches long. Amazing little red wing like things I am guessing it uses to swim.

WhiteVelvetStarfish
The worm flings itself out like some kind of Greek Monster. I grab my tongs and try to get a hold of it, but in my zeal, I snap it in two. I was able to pinch both tail and body out of my tank but he sustained critical injuries as a result of our interaction.

lol this sounds like a pretty intense fight scene. are you saying it actually jumped out at you?

haha...no, can't say it jumped at me, but it did cling onto a piece of rock and was waving its tail around like a sea monster. It was intense for me, first time having to extract something like this.

I have two little worms that look just like that. Is there anything that eats them?

Are you sure they are eunice worms? They should have tentacles on the head region.

i didnt notice the tentacles but they might just be too small to see.

like reefone said id rather get rid of them before they start a problem, I would rather pull them out and put them in my sump but theres no way ill catch them. they are in one sweet looking rock so im not going to break it up.

Archived