Pod Your Reef

Worm ID pls

Yamato

Found this worm on my live rock. I had suspected a worm living in this cave made of sand for a while, today I saw it and it looked pretty crazy. It was like a bristle worm but it has a distinctive head which has mandibles of which it used to collect small pieces of sand/coral to add to its burrow/tunnel that it is building. These are the best pics I could get from it before it would scoot back into its tunnel made of sand.

3085160175_471dbac253.jpg?v=0

3085999432_99cda70805.jpg?v=0

3085999330_294f19e93a.jpg?v=0

If at all possible, I will post better pics, but these are what I could get while I sat there for 45minutes.

not sure if there was a problem with pics...hope I cleared it up

Dahlia, that link you posted, took a look and its pretty close...it moves into its little sand tunnel whenever something comes by...its green, but at some angles, kinda has this rainbow effect...not sure how to explain it.

dahliaheartsyou

well i think it's a eunice too, take a look at that section that lakshwadeep posted, you can tell how the eunice worms have that rainbow effect you are talking about.

=]

Oh man, I think that's it...totally has the rainbow effect and the head is dead on...has those tenticles...

says there not to worry too much about it, but I think I might try to get him out, scares me a bit tho...is there a "easy" way to get it out?

keep an eye on it. if u start losing thing u will know where to look. i had one in one of my tanks and keept losing frags and hermits. guess who i caught doing it :)

Thanks for the heads up, I suspect I have lost one Hermit crab already, now I can't put it on the worm, but when I first discovered it, The Worm WAS picking at the shell of the Hermit Crab...very curious event. Should I just go in there and rip it out?

dahliaheartsyou
Thanks for the heads up, I suspect I have lost one Hermit crab already, now I can't put it on the worm, but when I first discovered it, The Worm WAS picking at the shell of the Hermit Crab...very curious event. Should I just go in there and rip it out?

i say leave it.

the crab was probably dead already if it wasn't just a molt and the worm was cleaning it up.

that worm is so cool!!!

go ahead and leave it if u like replacing corals and cuc :lol: . the suck thing is going to be getting it out. they r very smart and dart back into their hole at the first sight of u or something around. i had to take the whole rock that mine was in and bust it open to get it. it ended up being about 8'' long.

getting a little hysterical, reefone?

no :) i had one that caused me alot of trouble and $$$. i would never advise anyone to just leave it in their tank.

and after looking at ur av for the millionth time i still cant see the damn snake :D

dahliaheartsyou
no :) i had one that caused me alot of trouble and $$$. i would never advise anyone to just leave it in their tank.

and after looking at ur av for the millionth time i still cant see the damn snake :D

well, it doesn't seem it has done that yet and unless yours was the same exact species you can't say it will, but yes, you can't say it won't.

but i think it would be easier and better to leave it in and monitor as i think the OP is lucky to have such a unique creature.

oh, and stare at the middle circle in the av B)

well, it doesn't seem it has done that yet and unless yours was the same exact species you can't say it will, but yes, you can't say it won't.

but i think it would be easier and better to leave it in and monitor as i think the OP is lucky to have such a unique creature.

oh, and stare at the middle circle in the av B)

he may have a well behaved one. i guess only time will tell. but i dont take any chances when it comes these guys.

i can get the av to start twirling but i dont see anything else. i give up.

i had a eunice a few months back, it ate a frag of ppe zoas. i noticed one by one disapearing over the course of a week or so. then one day i looked at the tank with a flashlight at about 2am and actually watched him eating a polyp.

I agree some dont cause any harm, but if you have any frags in your tank you dont want to risk losing, i would remove him asap. there a pita to remove, i tried alot of traps etc and nothing worked. i ended up just removing his rock and dipping it in fw

Edit: and before anyone says the zoas were probrably sick or dieing. they were not. the frag was a perfectly healthy and growing frag, all polyps were fully open all day.

dahliaheartsyou
Edit: and before anyone says the zoas were probrably sick or dieing. they were not. the frag was a perfectly healthy and growing frag, all polyps were fully open all day.

you can't tell all health aspects of a zoanthid by them 'looking fine', a few polyps could've been suffering that you couldn't tell also.

well, if you decide to get rid of it, see if someone will buy it or take it, or even the lfs, i don't want you to kill it =[

maybe you could try feeding the worm too so he doesn't feel the need to eat things he shouldn't...

hope you aren't scared of them though!!!

captianshellnutt

+1 on not seeing the snake

Archived