inTank Media Baskets

Ocean front property in Arizona

jereader

I don't know if I ever posted about it, but I have two maroon clowns in this tank. They initially were somewhat skeptical of the new neighborhood, but now, they roam around like it's "their turf." ;)

Today, I decided to add a scooter blenny. So far, he seems quite happy, steadily munching what is apparently a healthy population of pods on my sandbed. He's barely moved from the spot he swam to after I finally put him in the tank, just chowing down on creatures too small for me to see.

Also, I never mentioned this, but the orange brittle star that I loved so much had to be put under a while back. I awoke one morning to find him missing an arm, and shortly, another. I put him in isolation, and while observing him, found his internals to be an rather nasty shade of green. I made some calls, and found out that he had an infection, and most likely had been being attacked by other inhabitants. I felt horrible for the little guy so I went ahead and put him under.

Recently, my riccordea was knocked from its spot and landed face-down on the a large red-brown rhodactis(?) mushroom nearby. It must have been there for a while, as it was showing some rather nasty wounds. So, today, I puttied the ric in place, hopefully to prevent such happenings in the future.

I'm hoping to be able to keep this thread a little more up to date, now that were are getting settled into the new house. Thanks everyone for the comments, and compliments. This is a very rewarding hobby, and all your words are icing on the cake!

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey all. Apologies for the lack of updates. I don't have a camera that will take decent pictures currently, and honestly, nothing has really changed that much. I recently added a frag of some caulastrea. They are brown with green centers. Initially, they looked fairly weak, but so far half of the heads have started to show signs of recovery, and the other half don't seem to be getting worse.

Also, I don't know if I mentioned it in this thread or not, but I have an occelated dragonette (scooter blenny) now as well. She is fun to watch, and really has quite a personality. The clowns harass her some times,but she seems to take it well.

Awesome serpent star! Wish I can get them here.

He was awesome. Unfortunately, he died a few months ago. I awoke one morning to find him with two arms missing, and a nasty green, infection in his oral disc. Still not sure what happened to him. Everything else has been fine.

• 1 month later...

Hey folks. Just a quick update.

This tank is still going. There have been a couple of deaths. My pulsing xenia was killed by micro bubbles, and my emerald crab also died. I'm thinking that emerald was just old age, as I have never seen another as large as he was.

I recently overcame a cyanobacteria outbreak, and have been fighting green hair algae.

I've also added a VERY large blue leg hermit, that my wife wanted out of her 2 gallon. It is by far the largest blue leg hermit I have ever seen.

Unfortunately, I cannot post any pictures as I no longer have access to the DSLR i had been using previously.

• 6 months later...

Well, this tank is still alive, sorry no pictures. Just overcame a month long battle with cyanobacteria and hair algae. Livestock is now a handful of snails, a ton of micro stars and bristle worms, two black perc's, a few softies (the large purple mushroom recently split off a little one next to itself), the little paly that arrived in horrible condition is now a thriving colony with at least 10 heads. The return is now routed through a hydor-flo rotating deflector.

In related news, I am going to be setting up a 55 gallon rimless system in the near future. Money is tight, so I am going to be doing it slowly. Right now, I have the tank and stand, and a 4-bulb t5 fixture. I also have a LifeReef compact life-reefugium 2 on order, expecting it later this month. I'm not sure if I'll be posting any sort of build thread or not. If I did, it would probably not be here. More likely at reefcentral.

• 1 month later...

So, the AP12 is still going strong. I have several types of macro algae growing in it now, halimeda, what I believe to be grape caulerpa, and something that looks like shoots of grass.

I have a few small aiptasia, and have tried twice to add a peppermint shrimp to eat them. The first didn't survive the ride home, and the second disappeared after the first night in the tank. I have a gross population of bristle worms, and I think they may have eaten him when he was mid-molt.

I also have a ton of mini brittle stars all over the tank. I am considering moving the content of this tank to the 57 and restarting this tank as a seahorse haven. My son originally wanted a seahorse and a starfish, and I actually feel confident enough in my knowledge to attempt to keep seahorses now.

I still don't have a thread or even any pics of the 57, but it has rock, sand and water in it. Diatoms are showing up now, indicating the cycle is beginning.

Archived