Cultivated Reef

Ocean front property in Arizona

jereader

Thanks for your posts, I've enjoyed reading them. I'm picking up a used Aquapod 12 tomorrow and will begin the journey. These types of threads are really helpful and help me to get a better idea of what to expect. Thanks!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks for your posts, I've enjoyed reading them. I'm picking up a used Aquapod 12 tomorrow and will begin the journey. These types of threads are really helpful and help me to get a better idea of what to expect. Thanks!

Thank you for the kind words. I am always more than happy to share any insight I have gained, but the best advice I can give you is to ask questions! There will always be something new that you won't expect. Talk to people in the LFS, and visit as many LFS's as you can! Everyone has a different approach. Try them all, mix and match, and find what works for you!

Do you think they would clear up the GHA for me if I stopped feeding them for a week or so? I know the emerald LOVES macro-algae, but he doesn't seem too interested in the GHA...

Stop feeding him the flakes and that GHA will start to be of interest once he gets hungry :lol:

Well, I came home from out of town last night to GHA EVERYWHERE. The glass was filthy, and rocks were being covered with the nasty green.

I plan to do as much pinch-suck as I can along with water changes, and I am planning a reboot in the forseeable future.

Teh Suck.

Ok. So, instead of tearing the tank apart and starting over, I've decided to manually remove as much of the offending algae as I can, and reduce the photoperiod to about 7 hours a day.

I have also added two small-ish turbo snails to help keep the rocks clean. Thus far, they are doing a wonderful job.

I've also re-scaped since my last pictures were posted, so maybe I'll post some new pics soon.

Thanks for looking.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update. I decided not to do a reboot of this tank. I did, however, figure out the missing ingredient: Mexican Turbo Snails! I added two of these guys to the tank about two weeks ago, only one of them made it, but he has really cleaned house (tank). Anyhow, the tank is looking better than ever, and it's tons of fun to see all the tiny little life forms that are thriving in here.

By far my favorite are all the stars. I have a medium orange brittle star. He's fun to feed, and there are about 4 small serpent stars as well. All of them are always hungry, it seems, but i restrain myself from feeding them every day.

Anyhow, thanks for looking!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey folks! Sorry for the long absence of updates. Any of you who read this will know that I had a bout of frustrations, and almost gave up and started over, however time, patience, and turbo snails won the battle, and i'm still here with the same tank, and good news!

First up is a beautiful purple mushroom that my wife, Kara, picked out. During the day, it stretches up toward the light, and opens up to be quite large. You can't see it in the picture, but there is a rhodactus mushroom that is attached to the shell that this guys lives on. The rhodactus floated around the tank for a good week before settling here. I'll get some pics of it up soon...

DSC_0001-6.jpg

Second, I wanted to show off my caulastrea a little bit... another of Kara's selections. Initially, I wasn't very excited about this piece, but it has been a healthy eater, and is well on its way to splitting! It's been a wonderful experience watching it grow, and I look forward to having a healthy colony of these beautiful corals!

DSC_0004-4.jpg

And, last but not least, we have my son's orange brittle star. I think I almost starved this guy to death, thinking that he would just "find" food in the tank, however I did some reading, and found that he needs supplemental feedings, and I have since been feeding him chopped shrimp, and he seems to be growing quite well. His body has easily doubled in size since we brought him home!

DSC_0008-4.jpg

Well, thank you for looking, and I look forward to hearing your feedback!

I'm reading, and loving your pics. :) I usually figure I should leave comments to those who know what they're talking about, though. :lol:

I love the different shrooms you've got in there, they all look great.

:)

I'm reading, and loving your pics. :) I usually figure I should leave comments to those who know what they're talking about, though. :lol:

I love the different shrooms you've got in there, they all look great.

:)

+1

And I love your caulastrea. I hope to have one in my tank eventually.

Wow! Thanks for the comments everyone. I have some more pics I plan to post up today.

Also, some sorta bad news... I'm going to be moving about 5 and a half hours away... I've never moved a tank before. I have bags, and rubberbands, and I think I'm about as prepared as I can be, but I am still a bit worried. Anyone have any advice or tips that will make this easier on me and especially my corals?

DSC_0004-5.jpg

Here's the rhodactus mushroom that I had mentioned previously. This guy floated around the tank for about a week before settling in and attaching to the small shell that the tall purple guy lives on. There are also a few small polyps that live there, as well. It's a strange little community... :)

DSC_0001-7.jpg

This is my riccordea yuma. I worried about this guy for a while, as he just would not open up. But a week or two ago, he started extending more each day, getting comfortable, and now he's looking very good in my opinion.

DSC_0002-6.jpg

Here's one of the whole "Mushroom Garden." I really love all the soft corals....

DSC_0002-7.jpg

I really love this brittle star! He is also becoming more active lately, cruising around, and checking out areas that I haven't seen him in before. I tried to get a unique shot of him here.

Hey there. Thanks for all the pics and I really like your tank. I am new to this site but I think I am about on the same pace as you. My 12 gallon AP is stock with the exception of a few filtration mods. I absolutely love my tank and I will get some photos going soon as well. I also have a starfish and am curious about feedings. How do you give it shrimp? Does it find it on it's own or do you place it under him somehow? The reason I ask I don't see a piece of shrimp lasting a second in my tank with the my fire shrimp and clowns. Thanks!

AZ BOY! I'm in AZ to got stuff fragged all the time! Some pretty sweet stuff. Also have advice on moving tanks so if you want PM me.

• 1 month later...

Well, the tank is all set up, and so far, so good. The only thing I am worried about, is the feather duster. He had shed his crown just a day or two prior to the move, and I'm afraid that the added stress will be too much for him. Anyone with experience in this area is more than welcome to chime in.

For those interested, I simply emptied the majority of the tank water into a bucket and a 5 gallon jug, pulled most of the coral and bagged them, as well as the fish and other motile creatures, loaded them up and hauled ass. No airpump, no drying of the sand, etc. Got to the new house, unloaded the tank and animals first, set it up using the old water (a water change had been done the day before), and turned it on. Just quick and dirty. We'll see how it turns out...

I still need to install a GFCI receptacle for the tank, but that is a half-hour project at most.

Actually, several polyps have reproduced, but I don't really want to frag any of them. I'm going to go for the "wild growth" look. Just kinda let them do their thing. Even if I were to frag anything, it wouldn't be right now, as I want to let everything recover from the trip before I mess with it.

Archived