SaltCritters.com

Anemone for beginner?

humatrigger

gulfsurfer101

I started this hobby by bringing a ten dollar cony home to my puffer tank. I got scorned and b&$#@* at by every one here telling me I need more light and yadda yadda yadda, After I dropped him in my tank, I realized I was going to lose ten bucks so I opted to bust out my 10g spare drop a PH in there along with about 5# of LR. That weekend I went out to the LFS got me a 250w MH fixture so everyone would STFU about fifteen more #'s of LR and another powerhead so I can keep up with flow. I had no idea wth I was getting into. That was the most costly descion I've ever made from trying to keep ten bucks alive. A year later and about three grand down the road, the f*&%$ing thing found his way into the powerhead after my clown had tried to host it and it kept tryi9ng to escape. Good luck with your endavor though.

Mini and maxi carpets do not host clownfish.

The bubble tip is the easiest clown hosting anemone, still considered difficult, I would recomend this as a first anemone provided you can provide it with a mature, stable tank and intense lighting. Hey everyone has to start somewhere.

Interested in anemones just read everything you can find, educate yourself.

Here is a good place to start:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/inverts/...tipanemones.htm

and also:

http://www.karensroseanemones.com/

: )

if you read my post I stated that clowns would only host it by a fluke but clowns have hosted things that are off the charts on the wierd factor like a clam :)

Edited by Sergeant-G
Guys you are forgetting one type of anem that is so called user friendly and can live through the trials that a new reefer puts it through.

Aptasia!

--bubbles

mini-carpets and such are the new acans though. :bling: yikes!

condy's are a cheap choice to experiment with as a beginner. if you can't keep a condy alive (a reef weed btw) then you definitely have no business keeping a sebae, true carpet, mini, or even mushrooms.

condy's will wander much more than other anems ime though. so you definitely need prefilters/foams on your intakes.

Mini carpets are not that $$. The going price is 20. but considering how they multiply, are not that light demanding and they're so hardy. They are IMO one of the easiest anemones to keep. They are just not easy to find, most LFS don't carry them. : )

I got a little anemone happy when I started out and put a BTA in my tank at about 3mos old. The tank was doing very well at the time. My water was stable, my corals were doing great (softies and LPS) and my fish were happy. The anemone did well for a month or 2 and then started moving around. It went back into the rocks and was never seen again. I'm guessing I had a swing of some sort in the tank and it was too much for the anemone.

A few months later, i added a condy to the tank. It stuck almost right where I put it and is hosting my clarki clown. It's doing very well under my 250w MH. I waited till about the 6month point before this guy went in. I also have 2 BTA's in the tank now (small ones) that are doing fine. My tank went up in January of this year. It seems, true to the general wisdom, that the 6month point is a good time to look into the more advanced stuff...assuming you've done well up to that point. I now have a nice and mature tank with the whole mix. I keep SPS, LPS, softies, a clam, anemones and fish.

I know it seems like a long time down the road and you get excited when you see pics of some of the great tanks on the boards, but it's not that long of a wait, really. Get to know your tank as it progresses. Add easy corals first and watch them grow. Slowly add more over the weeks and observe the changes in your tank. Read here and watch the water. Before you know it you'll be 6-8mos into the tank, much more knowledgeable and stepping into some of the more advanced creatures. It sucks, but patients is the best advice anyone here can give. Everyone says it because it's the biggest truth in this hobby.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 years later...
On 11/4/2008 at 1:17 AM, JKUNZ said:

An easy "cheat" that is used quite often is instead of an anemone, get a frogspawn, hammer, or torch coral for the clown to host. A few things still need to be considered. Are you capable of keeping an LPS? What type of clown are you looking at getting? TR Ocellaris are a lot less likely to host anything than a True Percula, even the TR ones. Of course some ppl end up with Oce's that host corals, and percs that won't, but most of the time it's the other way around.

Do you have corals now? what type of tank? lighting? params? how long has it been up and running?

im considering an elegance. love the look of nems but dont have the experience. elegances look like nems and are good for beginners

Wow, a decade. 

I didn't even notice until I got to your post. I was reading through it and thought it odd someone said metal  halides were the only way to keep a nem. Lol

This thread was necro'd from my early days on the forum lol. Even looks like I might've read it way back when, when I was doing all the research for the little pico I'd just started (was a poor college student lol). Some of the names on here I haven't seen on Nano-Reef for a long, long time. @BlennyBoi maybe try not to necro decade old threads. I've noticed you don't seem to look at how old the thread is before posting on it. :smilie: Quoting a very old post where the OP may not have been around in years, they're unlikely to ever see it. 

Also, I would not consider elegance corals particularly good for beginners. I understand Australian elegances are the way to go because Indo ones will die in short order. I'd suggest a euphyllia first. 

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

This thread was necro'd from my early days on the forum lol. Even looks like I might've read it way back when, when I was doing all the research for the little pico I'd just started (was a poor college student lol). Some of the names on here I haven't seen on Nano-Reef for a long, long time. @BlennyBoi maybe try not to necro decade old threads. I've noticed you don't seem to look at how old the thread is before posting on it. :smilie: Quoting a very old post where the OP may not have been around in years, they're unlikely to ever see it. 

Also, I would not consider elegance corals particularly good for beginners. I understand Australian elegances are the way to go because Indo ones will die in short order. I'd suggest a euphyllia first. 

i live in australia and my lfs sources directlt to the great barrier reef, so all the elegances there are aussie. will look into euphillia.

• Like 1
On 11/2/2018 at 8:31 PM, MrObscura said:

Wow, a decade. 

I didn't even notice until I got to your post. I was reading through it and thought it odd someone said metal  halides were the only way to keep a nem. Lol

yeah, i thought that was weird. do nems do well under LEDs?

8 hours ago, BlennyBoi said:

yeah, i thought that was weird. do nems do well under LEDs?

Lots of people now keep nems under LEDs. At the time this post was made, LEDs were no more than a novelty or used as moonlights. Reef LED lighting didn't exist. 

I’m pretty new (first tank is about a year old now).  I have a rock flower anemone that came with my live rock and has really done well.  But, they do not host clown fish.  He’s really cool.. prob my favorite thing in the tank.