Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Anemone for beginner?

humatrigger

I know anemones are meant for experienced reefers but are there any cheap anemones for beginners that can house a clownfish? What work does an anemone require?

• Like 1

No

Anemones are very difficult, you need to be on top of water parameters and any that host clownfish require high lighting, great water quality and space, they will grow quite large. You can have some nice aiptasia or for a "real" nem, rock flowers will do alright in lower lighting being fed but will also move around and expand decently. Not reef safe. That isn't to say that cheap anemones aren't out there, just that you condemn it to death by bringing it home. Which is the end result for the majority of nems anyways, most don't survive a year in captivity due to owner ignorance and improper care.

No

Anemones are very difficult, you need to be on top of water parameters and any that host clownfish require high lighting, great water quality and space, they will grow quite large. You can have some nice aiptasia or for a "real" nem, rock flowers will do alright in lower lighting being fed but will also move around and expand decently. Not reef safe. That isn't to say that cheap anemones aren't out there, just that you condemn it to death by bringing it home. Which is the end result for the majority of nems anyways, most don't survive a year in captivity due to owner ignorance and improper care.

Tank you or should I say thank you (Corny fish joke I made up, well actually I don't know if I was the true creator of it but that's beside the point) that is all I needed to hear. I was just making sure that what I heard was right. Now for when I get more experienced, I heard that you need to buy the anemone at the same time as the clownfish so they are a pair, is this true?

lg_18723_FS26601P.jpg

+1 to postal's comments.

are there cheap anemones? are there easier anemones? yes, but it's not an animal you should start with off the cuff. why make the experience more difficult to start? easing yourself into the hobby is usually a better and cheaper route.

that said, one of the condylactis types are hardy and cheap but are they pretty and will they host a clown aren't guarantees. some of the condys are very pretty ime. and some will accept clowns as guests. but ymwv.

lg_18723_FS26601P.jpg

+1 to postal's comments.

are there cheap anemones? are there easier anemones? yes, but it's not an animal you should start with off the cuff. why make the experience more difficult to start? easing yourself into the hobby is usually a better and cheaper route.

that said, one of the condylactis types are hardy and cheap but are they pretty and will they host a clown aren't guarantees. some of the condys are very pretty ime. and some will accept clowns as guests. but ymwv.

+1

condylactis' will survive in less than perfect conditions, but this does not mean you should put them in a new tank

plus clowns dont host in these most of the time

An easy "cheat" that is used quite often is instead of an anemone, get a frogspawn, hammer, or torch coral for the clown to host. A few things still need to be considered. Are you capable of keeping an LPS? What type of clown are you looking at getting? TR Ocellaris are a lot less likely to host anything than a True Percula, even the TR ones. Of course some ppl end up with Oce's that host corals, and percs that won't, but most of the time it's the other way around.

Do you have corals now? what type of tank? lighting? params? how long has it been up and running?

Edited by JKUNZ

So... Let's see. Has humatrigger missed any hot buttons?

- big fish on small tanks

- Anemone for beginner?

- Which AIO is best

- in general asking lots of questions for which the answer is easily found on this site.

Perhaps they are just someone who likes attention (AKA troll.)

-hank

So... Let's see. Has humatrigger missed any hot buttons?

Perhaps they are just someone who likes attention (AKA troll.)

High five on being a prick to a newbie!

Try a bubble tip anemone, I got one years ago and it has lived and multiplied even through an accidental tank cycle, I moved and when I set up the tank it was filled completely with water from my old tank and live rock but a cycle still occurred with nitrates/nitrites in the 50s and ammonia was 5, All four anemones in the tank survived and are fine to this day, They were even heartier than my yellow tail damsel that died in the cycle.

So I would try a bubble tip anemone, here's a pic of one of mine.

064nf3.jpg

I have not ever had another anemone than bubble tip so I can not speak for other species but the bubble tip anemone is very hearty and reproduces readily in my experience. But they do require feedings and good lighting (PC, T5, or MH, I have kept them under all of those and they were fine and happy, They had the best coloration under the T5).

Hope that helped.

do Blue Tipped Anenome Need high lighting?
we'll need a picture to really offer any advice on that. "blue-tipped" isn't enough of a description unfortunately. it could be a non-photosynthetic anemone even.

try posting a picture in the ID sub-forum too. that will get you directed inquiries/responses.

I can just as easily be a prick to an oldbie. ;)

I try to help noobs. I even try to be patient. What I see from the OP is a string of questions that could easily be answered by a little research on this site and also touch hot buttons from most of the more experienced members. So either they're a troll or someone who can't be bothered to look for answers but would rather sit back and let us do the work.

So yeah, you got me pegged.

best,

hank

I personally thought Hank hit the nail right on the head. This guy is dieing to have a humahuma in a little tank, to the tune of TWO threads asking if it would work, and now he is starting in on another item that is NOT FOR BEGINNERS....just because someone can "keep one alive" doesn't make the whole idea a good thing.

As for the person above whose anemone has survived cycles and high ammonia, trates and such, that is really not something to be bragging about to me. I would really lean more toward not really wanting people to know of the irresponsibility. That would be like bragging on how tough your dog is because you used to kick him in the ba11s every time you saw him. Kind of like a largely hydrogenous creature living in caustic polluted water.

Sorry, I just tend to think of these things as animals.

Get some nice zoas and maybe a few palys. Some shrooms and maybe a couple of nice leathers. Read up on nano fish and relax. You are obviously very young and excited by all of this. Relax.......get the feel of how things do on a SMALL scale and grow into it. There is a reason everybody starts with softies, shrooms, zoas, etc. It's largely because these guys will teach you a LOT about how to read corals.....RELAX....You have the rest of your long life to get all the really sweet fancy and difficult things....RELAX......

Mitch

I try to help noobs. I even try to be patient. What I see from the OP is a string of questions that could easily be answered by a little research on this site and also touch hot buttons from most of the more experienced members. So either they're a troll or someone who can't be bothered to look for answers but would rather sit back and let us do the work.

So yeah, you got me pegged.

I guess I just thought that was the whole point for a beginner's forum..? Keep the basic stuff out of the other forums so n00bs can A- learn the basics B- learn how to use a forum properly and C- not annoy the salty dogs who prefer not to see the same questions over and over.

I think it's a really good thing that people come here and ask for help. There are lots more out there who never bother asking, or rely on their LFS and end up making careless mistakes that kill fish and corals.

I worry that being rude to n00bs encourages people not to post, for fear of being treated rudely. I've done oodles of searches, and sometimes I don't even know what to search for. It takes just as much effort to politely suggest searching, provide a few search suggestions and maybe a link or two.

It's clear, you wanted him to do a search--but you followed through by insulting him. Snide remarks don't get people to change, it gets them to think less of you and disregard your advice.

Digging through your posts, you seem to be knowledgeable and generally friendly. Don't let a helpful message get lost in an insult.

And yes... I should follow my own advice. :)

Edited by TimothyUhl
  • Thanks 1
I guess I just thought that was the whole point for a beginner's forum..? Keep the basic stuff out of the other forums so n00bs can A- learn the basics B- learn how to use a forum properly and C- not annoy the salty dogs who prefer not to see the same questions over and over.

I think it's a really good thing that people come here and ask for help. There are lots more out there who never bother asking, or rely on their LFS and end up making careless mistakes that kill fish and corals.

I worry that being rude to n00bs encourages people not to post, for fear of being treated rudely. I've done oodles of searches, and sometimes I don't even know what to search for. It takes just as much effort to politely suggest searching, provide a few search suggestions and maybe a link or two.

It's clear, you wanted him to do a search--but you followed through by insulting him. Snide remarks don't get people to change, it gets them to think less of you and disregard your advice.

Digging through your posts, you seem to be knowledgeable and generally friendly. Don't let a helpful message get lost in an insult.

You're right. I should just keep my mouth, er, keyboard shut.

Humatrigger,

let me suggest in the gentlest way possible that you do a bit of research before asking questions. I would also advise to start with the easiest things to keep because you are much more likely to achieve success and have a satisfying and rewarding tank. There are all things we'd love to keep but don't even think about because we know they are beyond our equipment and abilities. Start with easy stuff - it will still amaze and impress your friends - keep it healthy and thriving and build on success.

best,

hank

Beginner, expert blah blah blah.. im not really sure what makes a beginner different from an expert.. reading i guess. the most important thing to keep and anemone is enough light the right kind of flow and stable water parameters. as far as being an expert in anemone care, if you make sure keep good water parameters and you tank is stable i think your an expert in anemone care. google the anemone FAQ and read about Karens rose anemones on her site this will help alot.

Quoting Hank "

You're right. I should just keep my mouth, er, keyboard shut.

Humatrigger,

let me suggest in the gentlest way possible that you do a bit of research before asking questions. I would also advise to start with the easiest things to keep because you are much more likely to achieve success and have a satisfying and rewarding tank. There are all things we'd love to keep but don't even think about because we know they are beyond our equipment and abilities. Start with easy stuff - it will still amaze and impress your friends - keep it healthy and thriving and build on success.

best,

hank"

..............Yeah, Like I said.....

As for what makes something appropriate for a beginner I believe is the grouping of critters that can survive and even thrive in less than ideal conditions, while teaching an individual how to read their livestock for indications thay cannot even detect otherwise. Anemones are not generally in that classification. Reading helps as does realizing that "I can keep it alive" is not PROPER care for the creature....

Make your decision, but PLEASE slow down and relax.....

Edited by MitchReef
Beginner, expert blah blah blah.. im not really sure what makes a beginner different from an expert..
post counts, of course! duh?!! :slap:

i keed, i keed! :P

we're just here to share experiences and help each other. a "noob" might have very interesting insight or specific experiences about one type of animal or setup that vastly outweighs all the 'experts' experiences on that situation. you never know.

asking the noob questions is the reason for the beginners forum. otoh, good research and thought are also necessary for the hobby. you can't run to the computer for help every step of the way.

Guys you are forgetting one type of anem that is so called user friendly and can live through the trials that a new reefer puts it through. Needless to say they probably wont be hosted by a clown except maybe by a fluke but mini and maxi mini carpet anems are a good option if you want an anem. they are lower light and seem to like a lower flow, the minis get to about 1 inch in dia and the maxi minis can get up to about 6 inches in dia. I currently have one of both in my tank. My maxi mini was alittle expensive at about 100 dollars but the colors are amazing, and I got my mini for just over 30 dollars, the colors are ok but I have seen better.

As for a bubble tip under anything but MH or better it is not a good idea as the anem isnt thriving its just living they need high lighting to "thrive".

I hope this helps

Casey

Edited by Sergeant-G