Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Codeman's 5.5 Reef! Blasto & Acan frags!

Codeman

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, everyone!

I hope to have the sump in before the weekend's over...

how do you like that koralia pump in there? is it suitable for such a small tank or do you feel its too powerful?

It's great! It's the Nano, 240 GPH. Puts out a nice amount of flow, I'll probably move it around once I get corals in there, though.

glad you found what you were looking for. haha, your tank isnt THAT established. they will survive in a bucket for a few days while you drill your tank.

as for what material to use for the baffles, i would just go with acrylic and silicone. they will hold just fine and you can dremel in teeths or whatever you like.

glad you found what you were looking for. haha, your tank isnt THAT established. they will survive in a bucket for a few days while you drill your tank.

as for what material to use for the baffles, i would just go with acrylic and silicone. they will hold just fine and you can dremel in teeths or whatever you like.

Sweet, thank again!

So I decided to just spend the money and order the Current USA 12" double fixture. It's only $20 more than the Coralife fixture I was planning on, but it has better features. So I'm ordering that, my return pump (Rio 1100 Plus) and my heater tomorrow.

I'm also going to the hardware store and picking up the acrylic and building the sump baffles. I might also go to my LFS and get a little more live rock.

So all in all, I should be broke by the end of payday :D

Big update today!

First, the bad news: In attempting to remove the rim of the 6 gallon tank to allow for the light, it cracked due to stress. But that's OK, now I have a tank to practice drill.

But lots more good news!

My light, heater and pump should all arrive tomorrow!

My tank is now an AGA 5.5 Gallon. I like the shape better, anyway. Longer and better light penetration = more corals! :D

The sump is finally complete! All baffles are in place and siliconed somewhat sloppily, but its done nonetheless. Just need to check a couple more joints for leakage.

I plan to drill my tank today, so wish me luck!

And finally, picture dump!

DSC02280.jpg

Sump top view

DSC02281.jpg

Sump FTS

DSC02282.jpg

My bucket reef is prospering ^_^ the snails don't mind and the extra light (26 Watt CF I had laying around) is growing plenty of food for them!

DSC02283.jpg

Deeper into the bucket reef.

DSC02284.jpg

New toothed overflow box and bulkhead with outflow plumbing attached.

DSC02285.jpg

Oops.....crack

DSC02286.jpg

I chipped up the top edge tryin to get the trim off as well... oh well!

Well, keep the comments coming!

Thanks for looking!!

Well...I did it! The tank is drilled, the sump is leak proof and everything works properly. I just need a 90° elbow for my plumbing to clear the back of the stand.

And another picture dump:

DSC02291.jpg

Newly drilled tank with overflow installed.

DSC02290.jpg

Side view

DSC02292.jpg

Drain & Sump test

DSC02293.jpg

Flow through sump

Almost ready to put everything back together!

Congrats!

hurry up and put it together :P

Haha, thanks It's all in place, I just need to fill the sump and install the return pump when it arrives today. I'll add pics when the water clears up!

Is that the G-H's nano overflow? I have their 2000 gph one, also with teeth, and love it!

Looks like you're off to an excellent start, well done. Bucket reefing is ok, but I have more experience with Igloo Cooler reefing.

Is that the G-H's nano overflow? I have their 2000 gph one, also with teeth, and love it!

Looks like you're off to an excellent start, well done. Bucket reefing is ok, but I have more experience with Igloo Cooler reefing.

Yup, it's the super-nano. The Nano has no teeth.

omgomgomg omgomgomg omgomgomg omgomgomg omgomgomg omgomgomg omgomgomg

I'm getting frustrated now. My f-ing pump (Rio 1100 plus) clears the water in the sump and starts sucking air. I'm about to put my foot through the sump :angry:

I added two 90° elbows in the return line, and it still pumps faster than the damn bulkhead drains :rant:

It's running at about 3 ft of head(which according to the manual should be 236 GPH) plus the two elbows and my overflow is supposed to handle up to 300 GPH. WTF!!??!

tl;dr, how can I slow my pump enough to make my freaking sump work properly w/o adding 7 miles of tubing?

Thanks

In other news, the new light is installed, so here's some pics:

DSC02294.jpg

Tank under daylights

DSC02295.jpg

50/50

DSC02296.jpg

Actinics

Now, if I could just get my flow rate stable and have the damn thing work right I'd be MUCH happier.

It looks beautiful, Codeman. I'm really impressed with that sump. I can't wait to watch this progress. :)

Thanks! It was a pain to silicone, hence the mess but I'm hoping its going to be worth it!

I ripped out the last baffle to make more room for the pump, so my bubble trap is down to 2 baffles, but that should be fine (especially since I have no protein skimmer). Now if I can get the flow control to work, I should have my sump issues sorted out fingerscrossed

Well, I'm going to go diddle with the pump and try to get my system working.

Will post more pics in the event of success. :)

Going to need to borrow BKtomodachi's sig for this:

2ijpy5d.jpg

I finally have the sump working. Now I need to build a media rack to get that water clear :)

Anyone got any tips to make it quieter? It makes an effervescent sort of noise from all the air surfacing in the first chamber.

The way its set up, it has a hole drilled in the top of the elbow coming out of the bulkhead with a piece of tubing to silence the siphon. The outflow tubing goes into the sump and releases underwater. It seems that if it sprayed into the air I wouldn't hear all the air bubbles. Would having it dump straight onto a filter pad or something shut it up? HALP before it drives me nuts!

Here's some pictures, as promised:

DSC02299.jpg

Most recent FTS

DSC02300.jpg

Sump in action

DSC02303.jpg

Air bubbles that are making me nuts

DSC02304.jpg

Full shot w/sump

DSC02306.jpg

Door closed

Well, I'm making progress! :D

what i have done..which is not recommended...is put a valve on the drain and adjust it so that the flow in the drain is exactly the same as the flow in the return. that would make for a smooth quiet drain with no bubbles and gurgling. BUT if anything...ANYTHING blocks the drain , you will end up having a dry sump and overflowing display.

having it dump straight into a filter pad will quiet it down, no more bubbles and gurgling, but you will hear water splashing

im guessing this is in your room and its annoying the crap out of you when you sleep?

what i have done..which is not recommended...is put a valve on the drain and adjust it so that the flow in the drain is exactly the same as the flow in the return. that would make for a smooth quiet drain with no bubbles and gurgling. BUT if anything...ANYTHING blocks the drain , you will end up having a dry sump and overflowing display.

having it dump straight into a filter pad will quiet it down, no more bubbles and gurgling, but you will hear water splashing

im guessing this is in your room and its annoying the crap out of you when you sleep?

Haha, yeah its in my room. Haven't tried to sleep yet, though. I quieted it a bit by taking a cleaned out cream cheese container, filling it with filter fiber, putting holes in the bottom and cutting a hole in the lid for the drain to go into.

Now it's the pump thats driving me nuts. It just runs loud, no vibrations.

I was looking at the Marineland Maxi Jet 900 utility pump instead. Anyone have experience with them? Do they run quiet?

Thanks.

that maxi jets are pretty quiet...but wont give you the flow you want esp with the head loss and all. i cant say for the rio tho. never used them.

that maxi jets are pretty quiet...but wont give you the flow you want esp with the head loss and all. i cant say for the rio tho. never used them.

The Maxi-Jet 1100 does 294 GPH. Any idea what that would be at about 2 ft of head?

It shouldn't be that bad, as long as its over 200 GPH, thats fine.

Tank looks great! I have an eheim 1250 hobby pump, Its really quiet. Works out well.

Yeah, I looked at those pumps, but they're really expensive. I'm thinking of going with the Marineland Maxi Jet 900 or the Quiet One 1200, I just need to hear more on them.

The Rio is on the timer strip for now, off with the lights so I can get some sleep.

the quiet one and maxi jet utility pump both are good pumps. i have both their products and couldnt be happier. i think the quiet one pump is more robust tho plus it has ceramic shaft and bearings making a smoother operation. they are the same price too so i would pick the quiet one pump.

the quiet one and maxi jet utility pump both are good pumps. i have both their products and couldnt be happier. i think the quiet one pump is more robust tho plus it has ceramic shaft and bearings making a smoother operation. they are the same price too so i would pick the quiet one pump.

yeah, the site I was looking on has it for $25. I'll probably get it.

Thanks for all your help throughout this mess of a project by the way.

Archived