Top Shelf Aquatics

1.25G of Cube :P

spazizz

I figured I would log every thing i do with this tank. Here are my plans so far..

Right now I just got a 18 watt coralife and I have some old rocks soaking in fresh water to make sure i dont have any bad hitchikers.

My tank ideas- either a 2.5 gallon or this betta cube at petsmart. Id like the cube more but we'll see.

Corals Ill be keeping- neon green zoos, star polyps, and red monti, or purple if i can get some.

This tank will have one fish, a green goby.

Maybe one or two snails and one hermit crab possibly a scarlet.

Follow along, I have a feeling this tank is gonna be real fun. Thats all I have for now though. Off to petsmart for work :P

PICT2889.jpg

PICT2880.jpg

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What kind of "old rocks" are you soaking in freshwater? If that is live rock, and you "soak" it in freshwater, you'll kill anything living on it, including the beneficial bacteria you'll need to cycle your tank.

Thoughts id addd this, Im getting my tank tomorrow. Maybe to seed my tank Ill just take a small rock from my old tank instead of sticking my rocks in my main.

Im going with that tank since its all i have room for.

bettacube_image.jpg

Specifications:

Aquarium Dimensions: 6" x 6" x 7.5"

Outside Frame Dimensions: 7" x 7" x 8"

Volume: 1.25 gal./4.73 liters

PICT2902.jpg

Here my tank set up on the window.

When i can get a hold of some Ill stick some chaeto in the filter i have(red sea nano filter, its clear so i can use the suns light)

So far all I need now is my sand(black) and looks like im gonna have to buy some rocks, good thing it only going to be a pound or two :)

is that tank (and the other one) sitting on the window sill supported by those wood planks?

i like the tank configuration. i was thinking of using my 2.5g AGA again or a goldfish bowl but when i saw travis's tank i thought it was perfect for my needs.

How do you like the Coralife light fixture? I just posted a thread asking how people like it and then found your thread. Have you used it yet? Does it get hot? Any good?

Where can you purchase this beta cube? is it glass? and how much? Thanx...

I've seen them at most major pet stores...pet smart, petco, etc. you can probably find them on dr.fostersmith and petsmart.com

Well I work at Petsmart so I got mine for 18 dollars, but it was on sell for 20 and originally cost about 24 dollars. and yes its glass.

Im taking this tank super slow, so i have yet to get rock or sand for it yet but by next week it should be up and running.

Tinyreef- they are on wooden planks ha why do you ask?

Tinyreef- they are on wooden planks ha why do you ask?
i was just curious cause it looks like 80% of it is just floating in the air or i wasn't seeing the pic right or something (has happened to me).

what's the tank next to it? it also looks like it's hanging there.

i was also curious if you're utilizing the windows sunlight and that's why you put the tanks there. but the black background made it seem like the location wasn't meant for additional sunlight exposure.

The tank next to it is a desert type reptile tank.

Im gonna use the suns light for the chaeto Im gonna stick in the back filter(HOB is see-thru, clear)

How do you like the Coralife light fixture? I just posted a thread asking how people like it and then found your thread. Have you used it yet? Does it get hot? Any good?

**I have this fixture, I love it but to answer your question yes it does get very hot. I find that it gets really hot on the top of the fixture, the sides are a bit hot as well. It throws alot of heat so you want to make sure there is good air flow under it to help with the heat issue.

I have mine about 3" from the rim of the tank so heat is not an issue.

I have heard other folks say that after a year or so the sides of this fixture can blow out. I think that would be the case if the fixture cannot get enough air movement.

All in all I am glad I bought it and really like it.

10/31/08- Heres the tank just after being set up, the cycle begins... But i still have to add sand which i wont be able to get until I get my paycheck.

PICT2903.jpg

HOB with Chaeto

PICT2905.jpg

Close up of the rocks, Ill probably change them around when i add sand.

PICT2908.jpg

I put the top frame on so the lid i had made for the tank would stay in place. It works wonders with evaporation.

PICT2911.jpg

Archived