Pod Your Reef

Tide Pools

805fish

so my friend lives by the beach and behind his house there are many lil and big tide pools full of life and creatures. I was wondering if its possible to take some snails or crabs, maybe a coral or something to see how it would do in the tank. Would it work out? Or not and why? and inno its illegal to take them out but talked to this one guy who is like the main guy from the tide pools and all and gave me permission to try it just not to take alot. So any help would be appreciated. Or what would be safe and not. Thank you all

It's definately possible, but check collection laws for your area. They differ from place to place.

Who is this "main guy from the tide pools?" If he's an official I think it would be ok, but if you get caught or reported by someone else the law probably won't care what this guy told you.

Assuming you get things legally (or illegally if you must) a lot of things will survive as long as the tank conditions resemble local ones (i.e. NOT cold water to warmer water). If you think about it people keep corals and fish from all over the world together in the same tank just fine. Just make sure you know what you're taking. Introducing the wrong kind of creature could cause some really bad problems down the road.

Regardless of the local collection laws, you should also be careful about pathogens and other parasites that may be introduced to your tank from the wild-caught specimens. Snails in particular are known to be veritable breeding grounds for unique and often nasty types of parasites. Whenever you’re bringing something from the wild into your tank and providing it with easy access to novel species that have never encountered said pathogen before, you could be asking for trouble. People do have success with wild-caught specimens, but it seems like tanks that flourish with wild-caught organisms are nearly 100% wild caught, and don’t mix and match field captured animals with tank bred subjects. True, this happens all the time with the various sources of fish and invertebrates from the LFS trade, but what’s thriving on your shoreline might not be the best thing to add to your tank. Just be careful, understand the pros and cons, and keep us posted with pictures of your catch!

i think it matters where you live
What state do you live in? It may not be illegal at all.

I Live in California

It's definately possible, but check collection laws for your area. They differ from place to place.

Who is this "main guy from the tide pools?" If he's an official I think it would be ok, but if you get caught or reported by someone else the law probably won't care what this guy told you.

Assuming you get things legally (or illegally if you must) a lot of things will survive as long as the tank conditions resemble local ones (i.e. NOT cold water to warmer water). If you think about it people keep corals and fish from all over the world together in the same tank just fine. Just make sure you know what you're taking. Introducing the wrong kind of creature could cause some really bad problems down the road.

Yes this guy is an official and has to do something with the care about them or something. DIdnt ask him much sorry

Regardless of the local collection laws, you should also be careful about pathogens and other parasites that may be introduced to your tank from the wild-caught specimens. Snails in particular are known to be veritable breeding grounds for unique and often nasty types of parasites. Whenever you’re bringing something from the wild into your tank and providing it with easy access to novel species that have never encountered said pathogen before, you could be asking for trouble. People do have success with wild-caught specimens, but it seems like tanks that flourish with wild-caught organisms are nearly 100% wild caught, and don’t mix and match field captured animals with tank bred subjects. True, this happens all the time with the various sources of fish and invertebrates from the LFS trade, but what’s thriving on your shoreline might not be the best thing to add to your tank. Just be careful, understand the pros and cons, and keep us posted with pictures of your catch!

So what if i was to make my nano into just an all Wild-caught from the tide pool? how would i go into lighting for them and all? What would i need to know so i can keep them in my nano? I would think a light wouldnt be much of a problem since there not deep corals or what i get from there. Also would i need alot or water movement since the waves sometimes crash up and then back down? Whats safe and not? I will be going tomorrow and ill take many pictures of what i see and post them to see whats safe and not. Maybe bring one or two things and see what happends. My tank is has gone currently 1 week cylce with cured live rock with coraline on it and the sand i bought dead. as light i probably have around 50 or 60 watts.

Well I'm thinking much of what you catch must need chilly water (even though So Cal is warm)..

I remember when I was young I saw tons of nems in a cave before Santa Barbera but after Ventura I was so young. I poked them,prodded them, then wanted to keep them and hit the library for nem books:lol:

I wish I could have started reefing when I was 10 since I know how to do reefing on the cheap :P

Well I'm thinking much of what you catch must need chilly water (even though So Cal is warm)..

I remember when I was young I saw tons of nems in a cave before Santa Barbera but after Ventura I was so young. I poked them,prodded them, then wanted to keep them and hit the library for nem books:lol:

I wish I could have started reefing when I was 10 since I know how to do reefing on the cheap :P

Yea i live by there. This place im talking about is in Shell Beach. A couple min away from pismo. And thats one reason i wanna get some from there if safe and keep it all wild-caught because its free and they gave me permission to try it.

Well I'd sample the water's temp,get an average then see if you can get that average in a new setup(unless it likes 78F). That would be a great basis for experimentation.

I'm moving this to Biotopes. Dig around there, you'll find lots of threads on coldwater tanks.

To address some of the points made in this thread:

You will need to keep the water temperature at or below 65 degrees, so a chiller is necessary.

There is almost no chance of any wild-caught animals infecting your tank with anything, but PLEASE do not release anything you have had in your tank back into the wild. There are much worse bugs floating around aquaria than there are in the wild.

Good luck!

my recent tank was a biotope from where I live and I had awsome succes as it is pretty cold in canada so no corals just lots of little things like worms and copepods

its was fun because there is a common eel like blenny that lives near me and I had great success with them and even mated a pair

god I miss that tank!

(had a worm died that killed everything)

Archived