Cultivated Reef

Coralife Digital Power Center

Codeman

So I bought one of these a while back for my African Cichlid setup. The timer crapped out after a couple months so I recently contacted Coralife customer service about it. They sent me out a new one which I got yesterday, so I set it up on my lil' reef tank since my cichlids are pretty chill when it comes to their light cycle.

THIS ONE CAME WITH THE SAME PROBLEM, ONLY THIS TIME RIGHT OFF THE BAT!

I have tried resetting it and I've gone through the instructions several times doing exactly as they say, to no avail. The troubleshooting part of the manual is useless as usual (is it plugged in? etc, etc...). I read reviews of their analog power centers and they seem to be crap as well.

Can anyone recommend a similar device (preferably cheap) that isn't a total POS? I just need light automation because of my work and school schedule. I have a daytime and nighttime light, so a single light timer won't do and there's not enough room for two mechanical timers.

RAGE...that is all.

I just went to Lowe's (or Home Depot) and bought a 20$ digital timer, works great and has battery back up. :D :D :D

How many outlets?

The problem is I need it to turn my regular light on and off and have a reverse cycle for my nighttime light.

There are so many problems with that timer.

Go to the hardware store and pick up a cheap digital timer or analog 5-20$

I know, I'm going to return it for some funds to be appropriated in a better way towards my reef.

So are any of those a simpler, better solution that can still have one thing on while the other's off?

Thanks

how will a single timer not work? You can hook each light on a seperate timer, day on one, night on another. Total cost is about $10-15

digital-timer-312944zz.jpg

timer.jpg

how will a single timer not work? You can hook each light on a seperate timer, day on one, night on another. Total cost is about $10-15

digital-timer-312944zz.jpg

timer.jpg

I just don't have outlet space for two separate timers.

powerstrip

powerstrip_listening_device.jpg

or three way electrical plug

Mech. timers are ginormous and don't leave enough space on the powerstrip for the other stuff to be plugged in.

you're not thinking outside the box here.

If you have two outlets you have two powerstrips. One for pumps, one for timers. Or do this. or use extra cords, there are so many cheap options out there

PowerStrip.png

If you have two outlets you have two powerstrips. One for pumps, one for timers. Or do this. or use extra cords, there are so many cheap options out there

PowerStrip.png

You're a genius.

Thank you very much!

you're welcome

good luck. One trip to a home deopt or other will find you all these items

Works out anyway, gotta go there for wood to build the stand and a few supplies for the sump project.

I have the CoralLife digital timer strip and have never had problems with it, either in operation or setting it up... =/ I've had it 2½ years and still running like a champ! In your case, chances are either they gave you another broken one they got back, or they gave you back the same one you sent without fixing it. I would call and demand a NEW replacement for the trouble. I'd also mark the one you have with permenant marker very small somewhere on the bottom where you can reconize it, just to be sure you aren't getting the same one back if you do send it back to them again.

Coralife products are just about as bad as it gets.

Lighting included?

I have the CoralLife digital timer strip and have never had problems with it, either in operation or setting it up... =/ I've had it 2½ years and still running like a champ! In your case, chances are either they gave you another broken one they got back, or they gave you back the same one you sent without fixing it. I would call and demand a NEW replacement for the trouble. I'd also mark the one you have with permenant marker very small somewhere on the bottom where you can reconize it, just to be sure you aren't getting the same one back if you do send it back to them again.

I didn't send it back, all I needed was a receipt and they sent a new one, which was junk also.

Done with these things.

what i have done is right after christmas i buy a whole bunch of power stripes and outdoor light timer centers for half off.The outdoor light timer centers have large heavy duty cords with battery backups. i run my main light, ato, chiller and my surface fan and i got it for under $10

PowerStrip.png

This thread should be entitled "Anatomy of an electrical fire" with all these crazy power adapters and plugs.... :lol: Definitely thinking outside the box though.

This thread should be entitled "Anatomy of an electrical fire" with all these crazy power adapters and plugs.... :lol: Definitely thinking outside the box though.

:lol:

I'm gonna do my best to avoid that.

But then again, when every outlet in your room has at least one power strip running out of it, its just a matter of time :D

I don't see much of an issue with any of the adapeter listed. As long as you don't overload a powerstrip theres should be no issues.

Can anyone recommend a similar device (preferably cheap) that isn't a total POS? I just need light automation because of my work and school schedule. I have a daytime and nighttime light, so a single light timer won't do and there's not enough room for two mechanical timers.

RAGE...that is all.

Cheap and not POS don't usually go hand in hand. You pretty much get what you pay for with this stuff. That's why I long ago ditched my digital timer strip for an ACjr controller. All the timer and temperatur and control functions you'll ever need for a tank! :happy:

Even when I had my strip up and running though on my main tank, I still used 3 other external timers attached to it. For you, just get a simple power strip, and some of those outlet extender plugs like StevieT put a pic of, then plug in a couple timers to those and you should be good to go. That's how I've done it before I ran a true controller. In fact, I still have 2 external timers now even WITH using the controller... :scarry:

Cheap and not POS don't usually go hand in hand. You pretty much get what you pay for with this stuff. That's why I long ago ditched my digital timer strip for an ACjr controller. All the timer and temperatur and control functions you'll ever need for a tank! :happy:

Even when I had my strip up and running though on my main tank, I still used 3 other external timers attached to it. For you, just get a simple power strip, and some of those outlet extender plugs like StevieT put a pic of, then plug in a couple timers to those and you should be good to go. That's how I've done it before I ran a true controller. In fact, I still have 2 external timers now even WITH using the controller... :scarry:

Yeah, that's kinda what I figured.

How much do the AquaController Jr's go for? About $150?

Very nice, but out of my grasp. Not really necessary for my little setup anyway. I'm going to go for 2 strips w/mech. timers for now.

Thanks everyone.

Yeah, that's kinda what I figured.

How much do the AquaController Jr's go for? About $150?

Very nice, but out of my grasp. Not really necessary for my little setup anyway. I'm going to go for 2 strips w/mech. timers for now.

Thanks everyone.

I thought the same for my tank too at first, but once you add pumps, heater, chiller, fans, ATO... Much easier to have one-stop solution than multiple timers... That was just me though.

I wish they were $150 though, I'd have one for my 10g tank too if that was the case, lol! Alas they are around $220 for a basic setup. Still not bad, but not easy to swallow either. 2 strips with mech. timers isn't a bad way to go. Have you looked at the strip that has 2 mech. timers built into it? Might be worth looking into, though they can run up to $40 for that one...

Archived