ReefCleaners.org

WHATS MY PROBLEM?

liveclown

OOOOOOOkay, So here it is.... My water has been getting cloudy and I have this green powder algea on my glass of the tank. It has been getting worse. My bio-load is pretty good and it is well stocked. My guess is that it could be nitrates and phosphates in abundance.

I will post pics of the tank, they were taken a couple days ago.

Whats my problem. Should I run some carbon and do a good water change and see if it clears up??

Help, Help, Help.

Tanks!!!!!!

My parameters which I check daily almost. PH, Alk, Cal. Ammon.

I don't have a nitrate tester yet or a phosphate.

I am guessing you need that huh?

From what I described though what would be the cause of cloudiness, and a powder green algae or whatever to collect on the glass and then take flight with my algae scraper???

What causes an algae bloom???

The temp?? And if you say the parameters. Which ones would determine this...

An excess of phosphorus.

lighting, temp, phosphates, amongst other things people here like to see the value of each parameter so they can make an intelligent informed decision on what is going on instead of a guess, pics also help alot too for Id of a species.

lighting, temp, phosphates, amongst other things people here like to see the value of each parameter so they can make an intelligent informed decision on what is going on instead of a guess, pics also help alot too for Id of a species.

:blush:

I run SWFO no live rock so I may not be the best person to advise you, but I would guess you are over feeding your fish. If the water is milky looking and smells bad it's a pretty sure bet. Get a Nitrate test kit and when Nitrates are high do a water change. I do 20% every two weeks. If I were you I would do one ASAP. Hope this helps.

I just put some on my blog... cause I couldnt transfer the pics to my user which has..... its complicated. Look at the link below. I just put some crappy pics up. But that crappy quality is reality. Im pretty sure Im not over feeding. I feed flake, and usually only once a day.

Okay is that a yellow tang in a 25 gallon????

Secondly:

+1 for the parameters (exact numbers)

Also, how old is your tank (please don't tell me like a month or something)?

In addition to that what type of filtration system do you have?

Yes SiRr, its a yellow tang....getting a little to big for the tank now...will be trading him in soon for a small one.

I have a wisper 30, and a korlia nano powerhead, soon to get a skimmer, and maybe another power filter.

I do not use tap water...

Yup, my tank is a whole three weeks old....But I don't have a ton of stuff. A yellow tang, 2 clowns, a firefish, and 2 damsels. Why is that bad???

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhahahahaHAHAHAHAHAhahahaHahahAhahAhAHAHAhAhAhAhAh,,

No, Its like a year old....

filter floss... Did wonders for me. I also run carbon. Chemi-pure is suppose to be awesome but i just use API's brand

Yes SiRr, its a yellow tang....getting a little to big for the tank now...will be trading him in soon for a small one.

I have a wisper 30, and a korlia nano powerhead, soon to get a skimmer, and maybe another power filter.

I do not use tap water...

Yup, my tank is a whole three weeks old....But I don't have a ton of stuff. A yellow tang, 2 clowns, a firefish, and 2 damsels. Why is that bad???

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhahahahaHAHAHAHAHAhahahaHahahAhahAhAHAHAhAhAhAhAh,,

No, Its like a year old....

oh btw yea... NO tang, and you IMO are overstocked

Okay are you doing weekly water changes (b/c if you're not and you've had the tank for a year with no skimmer thats pretty bad and may be the issue in and of itself)

Secondly

You've had your tank for a year and you don't have a nitrate test kit?

Wherah caun I fieend theis....Fieltair Flouss??

Hahaha, What site can I find and buy it at... How to I install it and how often does it need to be replaced, etc.

But I don't have a ton of stuff. A yellow tang, 2 clowns, a firefish, and 2 damsels. Why is that bad???

Ummmmm , in a 25 gallon tank with no skimmer? Yeah that is bad!!!! Year old or not. That is a huge bioload for a tank that small. Jmo. -_-

Filter floss from the fabric store, or from wal-mart. It is used to make quilts, stuff pillows, etc.

Put it in a power filter, or anywhere that water will flow through it.

Overstocked tank, too much food, not good enough filtration. You have a bacterial bloom my friend.

Get rid of the tang, feed every other day, and get some better filters with more water movement.

dsoz

A lot of research... it been ok ... and I plan to upgrade to a 55 gallon.

I know the bio-load is AmaAaaAAAazing!!! HHHEHEEHhehheeeheeeheeee. giggle giggle..it takes work...

Please before starting a SW Aquarium, READ! get books, look on forums!

LEARN ABOUT FILTRATION! BIOLOADS, ACCEPTABLE FISH!

to me it sounds like you should do a nice water change ASAP, then in about 5 day after the WC do another WC (about 5 gallons each time). filter floss can be found any where. just place where your filtration is and change when dirty.

Archived