Cultivated Reef

My 75 Gallon peninsula tank

MitchReef

Weetabix7

That's cool!

Heard of them but never seen one.

Does he stay pretty visible throughout the day?

Does he feed on whatever floats into the branches of the Acro?

I actually couldn't see him in that pic you posted, have you been able to get any better pics yet?

I think you should name him.

Mebbe you should add a poll to the thread for the naming of the Acro Crab.

I vote for George, you know, "gonna love him and squeeze him and call him George," or something like that.

Ok, so I'm a nut, whatcher point?? :wacko:

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MitchReef

I'm afraid that getting a good picture may be another week or so away, as I have the coral acclimating on the bottom at first, and will be moving it up part way prolly this weekend....I think it's going onto the frag rack I am making, and then it will be right at the glass....mebbe then I can get a good shot.....

He is tiny, about as big across as a BB, or even smaller, pure white with a black mask...which already earned him the name Bandito....

From what I read they primarily eat the acro's snotty exudate as well as any pests that might visit, and also eat from the water column....I also read that they are very good for the host coral's health, and are considered a good luck omen by many!!!!

Weetabix7

Wow, he sounds awesome, can't wait to see a clearly defined pic!

Were you really startled when you first saw him?

MitchReef

Not really, at first I thought he was a big hunk of mysis or something caught in the coral, but I do magnified inspection of all my new corals...and when I first saw him with the magnifying glass I knew just what he was....

And he's wayyyyy cool looking....

Another BEAUTIFUL Juicycorals.com piece joined my collection. I went to see my buddy Juice and accidentally came home with a fabulous frag, called JC's Limited Edition Ancient Earth Chalice...I have wanted this chalice for close to a year.....It's a beautiful light blue to purple, with neon green bumps and watermelon edge....the picture is good, but doesn't really grasp the colors as they really look....

IMG_1101.jpg

and the frag is OVER an inch in both directions....I tell ya what, his stuff is amazing....and very reasonable....

You will NEVER find better service before, during AND after the sale either....

I just noticed that today is one of my frags' birthday. I took the first picture of it a year ago and wanted to put up a nice growth sequence post. Unfortunately, I have cut a couple of frags out of it over the past year, but here it is....

5/10/08

CIMG0680-2.jpg

9/7/08

CIMG1566.jpg

Then some time went by where I didn't pay this little one much attention and.....

5/10/09

IMG_1107.jpg

This is actually an "end-view" as the original base end is now stuck into the rocks to hold it....

Mitch

I'm always snapping pictures of my reef, hoping to get "that one great shot"....so, here are a few more tries....

The tiny little Acro Crab is soooo tough to get, but I also liked this pic of the coral....

IMG_1121.jpg

It is time to start moving this one up, so it will start coloring up....

If you look at the right side of my TINY Acan Lord you will see a new baby...

IMG_1131.jpg

I just LOVE coral babies....

My Meteor Shower Cyphastrea is finally getting a beautiful blue....

IMG_1132.jpg

I'm so glad y'all said to shade it!

This Appleberry Montipora turned totally mud brown for 5 months after I got it...

IMG_1134.jpg

I ignored it, called it bad names and suggested that it just Buck Up and deal with it, and now it looks like this....

Another decent pic of my Duncanopsammia axifugia....

IMG_1139.jpg

This purple Montipora cap was nasty brown when I got it, and about 1/4 this size....

IMG_1140.jpg

And finally, a closeup of my fabulous tabling Acropora desalwii....

IMG_1141.jpg

This Acro is absolutely fabulous....

Thanks Wettie....I tried to find an ugly picture of it, but may not have taken one....go figger.....

Just went back and re-read the first page of this tank thread to see how you initially put it together, and I have to say I am impressed with this tank on so many levels.

The incredible beauty and health of the corals obviously, but also the way you used your skills and ingenuity to put this whole thing together with limited resources.

It was inspirational reading Mitch, proud to say I know ya. B)

Just went back and re-read the first page of this tank thread to see how you initially put it together, and I have to say I am impressed with this tank on so many levels.

The incredible beauty and health of the corals obviously, but also the way you used your skills and ingenuity to put this whole thing together with limited resources.

It was inspirational reading Mitch, proud to say I know ya. B)

+1 I'm not easily inspired but this tank has done that for me. Thanks for the read. I"d like to know more about your dosing system, specifically if you built the pumps yourself. IM me with some info or a build link. I"ve looked and not found it.

Steve

I thank both of you for your kind words, and must homestly admit you have humbled me....I just try to have a nice system, while still feeding the family with all of our challenges, but enough of that....

I have a link to my actual tank build thread on the coral network. That is a free forum on which I am an Admin. We are far from being competition for NR, so I hope I will not get whacked by the banstick for a bit of promotion of it. I would be honored to see anybody from here sign up over there. We even manage to keep it banner free by donations from some of our members....

At any rate, I have the entire build played out there, along with the dosing system and a number of other DIY's. I will try to copy the dosing system build over, but it's a big post.....

BGWMASGM....chalice:

IMG_1218.jpg

Pink zoas:

IMG_1220.jpg

Rainbow Acanthastrea lords (2 babies now....and counting):

IMG_1226.jpg

Unknown Acropora, got it from a club member, fully browned out, waiting to see what it turns into:

IMG_1230.jpg

Dinosaur Egg Monti...I was supposed to get two of these frags, but only ended up with one...I will split it with akaBryanHall as soon as it gets big enough to split:

IMG_1231.jpg

Acropora nasuta:

IMG_1238.jpg

Acropora desalwii frag:

IMG_1234.jpg

Another attempt to photograph the acro crab....

IMG_1237.jpg

.............note to self.................scrape the glass...............

glennr1978

That Marshall Island blue bottlebrush will color up like crazy. Mine has some of the brightest blue coloring I have ever seen in a coral. Give it tons of light, the more the better with that one.

I'm pn that one....I put it on the sandbed when I acclimated it, and just moved it onto the new frag shelf yesterday....right now it's like 10 inches deep under 250W Phoenix and 39W Geisieman Actinic plus...I generally have good luck with coloring stuff up...we will see just what this one can do for me....That's also where the Acro Crab lives....

Thanks Weetie...isn't he just cool....and truly tiny....realize those limbs are thin bottlebrush corallites....My photography seems to be improving a bit lately...it's amazing what taking a few bo-jillion pictures will do fou your abilities...My new Christmas camera is nearing 1250 shots already! Y'all really only see a very few of what I take....

SeeDemTails

Hey Mitch everything is looking good!

Just wanted to tell you all your corals are doing awesome!

Thanks Crystal, I'm glad they are doing good for you....All of the little frags I got from you just continue to encrust onto the stonew with little vertical growth, but once they encrust out to the whole tile surface they are going to take off....

The green digi is growing like a...well, like a green digi!!!!

I finally got a fairly decent picture of my little Acro Crab....

IMG_1253.jpg

Here's amother good one....

IMG_1244.jpg

He is really little...and I'm only fair at photography....

Yeah, Me too...I never saw the tiny dots on his claw until I got that one picture.....

He is really cool...I have read that they will keep their host free of redbugs, even with a tank infestation....has anybody experienced this, one way or the other?

• 3 weeks later...

how did you get him he is awesome...was he a hitchhiker i want one so bad! picked up a 75 gal reef ready with the stand sump pump skimmer and hang on the back refugium for 400 can't wait to set it up!

• 2 weeks later...
akabryanhall

Hey Mitch just dropping by to show your tank some love. Hows the meds taking? bug free yet? Looking forward to the src!

Archived