Pod Your Reef

My 75 Gallon peninsula tank

MitchReef

I put up an interest check on the Livestock for sale Forum, for a few frags...I think it's time to cut up my Appleberry Montipora palawensis, my Rainbow Monti, my Chip's acro and my Acropora desalwii...

Here they are...

Appleberry Monti

IMG_0917.jpg

Rainbow Monti

IMG_0873-1.jpg

Chips Acro

IMG_0778.jpg

Acropora desalwii

IMG_0557.jpg

I also took some pictures of a few other pieces...y'all know I cannot resist snapping pictures...

Mike Paletta Blue Monti

IMG_0915.jpg

Rainbow Acan lord (just moved it to see if it will ever grow bigger)

IMG_0927.jpg

BGWMASGM....chalice

IMG_0928.jpg

Stuff is growing and I'm just kinda coasting along right now....

Enjoy,

Mitch

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, I have had a bad week...first, Thursday I left for work after the cursory tank inspection...everything was fine. No frags in the sand or anything, then when I came home my A. suharsonoi was in full on RTN...most of the tissue had already sloughed and more was going...I checked parameters and all was fine and did a high magnification check for critters, I took the piece out and saved a TINY 1/4 inch tip to try and grow out.... :tears:

Then Friday morning during my check I saw weird reflections and looked closer...Glass all over the place in the tank...I opened the hood and found that my 250MH UV shield glass was shattered into little shards.... :angry: Danmit....Off to work and then a "best effort" cleanup of the glass after I got home....I still have a buch of little pieces on the sandbed, but I can live with that....I called Sunlight Supply, who said they would ship a replacement glass, FREE under warranty....not bad....

It actually arrived yesterday (overnight!!) It's good to have the distribution center in state...So, that problem was remedied quickly...

Anyway...while the glass was being delivered I was at a friend's coral farm, and while there I got a frag of a beautiful Purple with neon green eyes favia....

IMG_0933.jpg

It was just in my tank for like 15 minutes at the time of this picture...I cannot wait til it gets good and acclimated....

Mitch

akabryanhall

Holy hell dude, that thing is beautiful, almost like the raspberry monster but with green eyes! I might have to post pics of the new stuff to show you up.

*Edit: Looks ready to frag, holler at your boy

Yup, it turned out really pretty in my tank so far...I'm anxious to see what it does under the lights today...but...wait!!!! What's that?? Oh, my 150MH isn't firing....Danm, if it's not one thing it's another....

Guess I gotta run out for a bulb.... :angry:

Well He[[...I got a bulb and popped it in...nothing....At least the LFS will take the bulb back toward a ballast tomorrow afternoon....I hate crap like this...

Well He[[...I got a bulb and popped it in...nothing....At least the LFS will take the bulb back toward a ballast tomorrow afternoon....I hate crap like this...

Which LFS do you go to -- OB, SIC, WWC, AF.....?

JuicyCorals.com is where my good stuff mostly comes from.....For corals that is....I ran to OB for the bulb...close by and they had the bulb I use....but now I will go back tomorrow for the ballast!!!!

I guess it's okay to mention store names...Ocean Blue...been around for many years...Aquarium Fanatics...I'm not real sure where that one is....But like I said....if you want nice corals check out JuicyCorals....he's our local large scale, all exotics farmer....over 1200 gallons in his house and 1200 more in progress....His stuff is the shizzz....

Just wondering. As far as I know I've been to about all the sotres here in orlando. OB and AF are good guys. Haven't bought much coral from them in the past. But their fish are pretty good.

Juicy corals are local???? really? Do they have a store front or just online?

I guess it's okay to mention store names...Ocean Blue...been around for many years...Aquarium Fanatics...I'm not real sure where that one is....But like I said....if you want nice corals check out JuicyCorals....he's our local large scale, all exotics farmer....over 1200 gallons in his house and 1200 more in progress....His stuff is the shizzz....

World Wide Coral has the best in all of Florida and maybe the country as far as storefront goes. I spoke with Juicy this week and even though we live within a 20 minute drive from there address they wont let you come to the store, or even pick up any purchases. They told me I would still have to pay $20 to ship. I dont see how a true reefer would rather make another hobbiest not only pay for shipping when it is unneeded but also subject the corals to shipment when someone could just drive over there and have them acclimating within an hour?!? If I cant see them at least I would like to pick them up instead of ship. If they dont let me then my business will go to Victor at WWC. They just started setting up a 200 gtallon Elos system which will be an addition to there already insane 300 g show tank. I could sit in there store all day!

I didn't know that juicy was here in orlando. But no pick up, kinda does sux. But I'm not really willing to go to WWC for a piece of coral the size of a grain of sand for 100.00 bucks. They do have a very nice store, and once in a blue moon I'll check out some of their stock. Just too much for so tiny. But still great guys and nice store.

I didn't know that juicy was here in orlando. But no pick up, kinda does sux. But I'm not really willing to go to WWC for a piece of coral the size of a grain of sand for 100.00 bucks. They do have a very nice store, and once in a blue moon I'll check out some of their stock. Just too much for so tiny. But still great guys and nice store.

The guys at WWC are more then willing to do some negotiation, they want everyone to be able to have nice stuff in theire tanks. I think that Juicy gets alot of there stuff from WWC

Ya, they are nice. but i've only seen them negotiate about dollar or so. Not saying i'm gonna stop going there, just that even if they cut their prices in half for a coral 1mm x 1 mm is still a bit too much in price. But I got my hi-fin goby there so i plan to go back just not for their coral.

Anyway, Mitch your tank is looking nice. :)

Ya, they are nice. but i've only seen them negotiate about dollor or so. Not saying i'm gonna stop going there, just that even if they cut their prices in half for a coral 1mm x 1 mm is still a bit too much in price. But I got my hi-fin goby there so i plan to go back just not for their coral.

Anyway, Mitch your tank is looking nice. :)

WOW a true WWC hater. they are not selling random frags 1mm x 1mm for $100. If that is what you saw, it must have been for one of there extremely rare LE pieces which no one else has and even if it was as small as you claim which i can almost gaurenty that it wasnt, all there frags are well healed and ready for new homes. Most people cant afford 1 eye LE chalices for $250 so if they make smaller ones for $100 I'm down! WWC is cheaper for the same size frags as Juicy and they have a better selection. Even if you you get a 25% discount on a Juicy purchase by the time they MAKE a local pay for shipping it still is the same or more as WWC.

Juice has about 15 to 20% of his available stock n his website, he has the healthiest corals in Central Florida and the only reason there is no pickup allowed is that his business is in his home and allowing store-front, or even pickup would violate his business lisence...Juice has things that would make you weep, his prices are generally better and he treats everyone the same...also, if you are local and you ask him, he's just liable to be willing ot meet you with stuff (if it's a decent amunt purchased)....I know he will bring stuff if you go to the local club meetings...

His farm is in Deltona BTW....and is currently 1200 gallons , rapidly headed to 2400 gallons...IN HIS HOME!!!!

That's really cool mitch thanks. I'm always looking for good places to get quality corals. I completely understand about the whole store for thing and his business lisence. I'll just check his site form time to time to see what's new. I mean if you said 20 bucks shipping isn't too bad when compared to shipping in different states. 1200 to 2400 gallons is impressive. His house must be a mini inland sea. lol

Either way every store has something to offer no matter who it is. They are all good in their own way.

K-man grow up. Everyone has their favorite store, so why do you care if I think they are expensive? It's no big deal.

Thanks again mitch and ooh yea b4 i forget those acros are sweet!

Thanks for the props...I frag upon demand, and since you are local, then no shipping charges at all!!!

:D LOL. I appologize Mitch for this momentary usurpation of your thread...You have a kick AS* tank and I look forward to purchasing some frags off you!

I think corals are silly things..

Silly in what respect? Just how mysterious and elusive they are? Or do you mean the silly way they get all puffed up when they're Happy?

BTW...I think akabryan is a silly thing!!!!

Well, I have NO idea...I came home and the 150 MH was just blazing away on the timer....I dunno, mebbe the balast just needed a period of time to reset or something...Dunno, but I'm glad the new bulb worked...I was due for one anyway!

So, the tip of the A suharsonoi that I fragged went ahead and RTN'ed...it too, is no more...I will try another one some day, but not just now, it's a beautiful coral, just not right for something in my tank.......everybody else is doing great.....

akabryanhall
Silly in what respect? Just how mysterious and elusive they are? Or do you mean the silly way they get all puffed up when they're Happy?

BTW...I think akabryan is a silly thing!!!!

Yes, yes I am

• 1 month later...
MitchReef

Time for an update.....

Here is a new picture of my orange zoanthids....

IMG_1036.jpg

They are doing great, these don't seem to mind my tank at all....

The AA Meteor Shower really benefitted from being lowered and put in the shade.....

IMG_1097.jpg

The colors got richer and polyp extension is great...thanks to all those who said to shade this one....

Here is my little Rainbow Acan....hard to get a good picture....they are really little....

IMG_1095.jpg

The real reason for the post is a new acro I got today...it's an ORA Marshall Island Blue Bottlebrush....

IMG_1090.jpg

My LFS had it under really poor lighting...I'm sure that after a while it will be Poppin!!!!

After I acclimated it I found this little guy....

IMG_1091.jpg

If you look real hard between the branches near the bottom, slightly left you will see my first Acro Crab!!!!

I am soooo stoked over the little guy!!!!

MitchReef

Quick update....the Acro Crab seems to be doing great...He's still hanging in the same spot, but I have seen him moving a little bit, so I guess he's going to be a resident!

Archived