ReefCleaners.org

My 75 Gallon peninsula tank

MitchReef

I can't wait for them to color up....I'm also stoked about adding a certain Acan to my collection....do you still have that piece???

I'm going to try and get by this weekend....prolly not today...I gotta see if I can fix my van today, the driver's door latch is stuck and the door will not open, and I have to leave for the ORCA Board Meeting (before the frag event) by like 3:00.....I will try to get by tomorrow....

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do the best that I can with my economic constraints....I need to get new two-part soon, and even that takes putting away a little bit at a time....I scrimp and save for the basic consumables and that, along with some good swaps and the occasional frag sales keep me in some pretty neat stuff....

BTW, thanks again, the appreciation of you guys on here really help when the spirits are running low.... :)

Thanks a Bo-jillion....the appreciation that y'all give to my efforts really brightens my spirits.....

I am really glad I found my way to NR....We have The Mayor to thank for that....I bought some stuff from MVITE, off EBay way back when, and he referred me here....I actually had a Nono then.....

I will have one again as soon as I can put all the parts together.....I think....Does a Frag Tank count as a Nano, as long as it is a separately plumbed and stand-alone setup?

Needreefunds
Thanks a Bo-jillion....the appreciation that y'all give to my efforts really brightens my spirits.....

I am really glad I found my way to NR....We have The Mayor to thank for that....I bought some stuff from MVITE, off EBay way back when, and he referred me here....I actually had a Nono then.....

I will have one again as soon as I can put all the parts together.....I think....Does a Frag Tank count as a Nano, as long as it is a separately plumbed and stand-alone setup?

The fact that you are able to do so much on a tight budget is even more impressive and inspiring Mitch.

I miss Mark too. :( He's off playing with his snakes.

Then again, who knows. Maybe something else by now :P

Sure, a frag tank counts IMO. Anything < 50g methinks :P

Old school, you know, "...nothing under 50 gallons should ever be attempted for a successful reef tank yadda yadda blahblahblah "

Sure, a frag tank counts IMO. Anything < 50g methinks :P

Old school, you know, "...nothing under 50 gallons should ever be attempted for a successful reef tank yadda yadda blahblahblah "

Funny thing is that my first reef was a 20Long, back in 1986......I got major crap for undertaking that project....folks called me everything but murderer over that....I had it stocked and running for 19 months before a relocation forced sale and breakdown....And EVERY coral in the system was thriving, and growing....

I guess we could say I can do this stuff....I just try to read the livestock and find what does best....I cannot keep freshwater fish alive, I'm not great with softies or zoanthids....but I can GROW some Stoney Corals....go figger....

Hey Mitch, I have some 2 part I could send you til you're able to buy what you usually use.

I got it free at a Frag Swap.

Actually, it's 3 part, with a Ca bottle, an Alk bottle, and a Mg bottle.

It's DT's, think DT's Phytoplankton.

I've used it in my tank and it works fine.

Bottles are part used, but you're welcome to what's left as a temporary stand in.

PM me with your address if you want it.

I appreciate that, but I ought to be okay....I have Angels in my life here locally as well....if I run into a bind, but I ought to be okay...I could move some frags if it became necessary....My Chips grew so much recently that I could very handily cut off some nice frags....

Also, since my system is automated for the two-part, that I would do everything possible to keep the same kind....I use Oceans Blend for that....the owner is a sponsor for our club, and I really have good luck with everything of his that I use....

But God Bless you for offering....

How do you like the ocean's blend? i heard that it's really dilluted. I use natu-reef 2-part. it's a company local to me and the owner's wife delivers the products to the LFS's, that says a lot about his company. it's strong as hell too. it's 1/2 the price of B-ionic aswell.

P.S. i got a video of my mandarins making a false spawning rise, i posted it on the second to last page of my thread.

I use about 30 - 35 ml of each part daily....and I am growing a lot os SPS and LPS....that's in a 90 gallon full system....I will not substitute anything else....I've never heard anybody say it's dilute....

The thing I like the best about it is that it addresses most of the trace elements, already included in the two-part...

And, Oceans Blend is made by one of our club's sponsors, and a friend....I primarily like it because it is wicked consistent....

Well, I cut a couple of frags this past weekend....They are already promised to JKunz....to go along with the others I have for his long-awaited frag pack....number 4!!!!

I have a HUGE frag / not too Mini-colony of the Acropora desalwii....it can be seen on any of a number of frag-rack pics, so I didn't take a new pic of it....and then there is a smaller Mini-colony of the Neon Green Flashlight Acropora chesterfieldensis, whic is visible in a lot of other pics...an nice piece of Orange Pavona maldivensis that is nearly impossible to photograph well, and then the two new frags....They are the real reason for this update....

The first is a pretty good sized hunk of my Appleberry Montipora palawensis....it measures a good 1/2 by 3/4 inch and is just on day 3 of healing up....so it's still a tiny bit shy....

IMG_1732.jpg

that's a 1 1/2 inch frag tile.....

The second piece is a nice little multi-branch frag of my ORA Blue Acropora millepora.....about 1 1/4 inches tall....

Polyps retracted....

IMG_1728.jpg

Polyps extended....

IMG_1730.jpg

the flesh on this thing is amazingly colored.....

Just for fun, I grabbed a detail shot of a part of my new Greg Hiller's AquaDelight....just to see if it's not already beginning to color up....

IMG_1729.jpg

this is going to be a seriously pretty coral....

I almost forgot to say anything about my newest piece....I helped Akabryanhall with a bunch of fragging a few weeks ago, and he treated me to a frag of his amazing JuicyCorals Pink Panties Acanthastrea lordhowensis....It's two adult polyps and two babies....

IMG_1734.jpg

top down....

IMG_1736.jpg

They should lighten up to a sweel rich deep pink.....and these things get as big across as a Quarter!!!!

As always you've got some sweet corals Mitch, hopefully we can start trading once I get this new tank up and some new frags! Did you get anything at the frag swap?

Not this time...I was just there to support the club and the event.....had some unexpected medical, hospital, surgery bills I didn't anticipate this month....no frag money for me.....

There is always next time....and I just LOVE swapping frags....let's get a good swap figured out soon.... B):D

Those are some nifty Acans there Mitch! Cnt wait to start putting some more sps in the new tank. BTW, that trick worked a charm. I have put about ten corals from my nano into the corner, and the tang has eaten most of the algae off of each one!

Yup....it would be fun to throw him in your cube for about a week and a half....but he would be a BUTTHOLE to catch...... :wacko:

Oh, and BTW....Thanks a million for those Acans....they are going to be beautiful......I need to get them under moderate light and let it sooth down and get that rich pink.......

I already tried that tbh, but he did not touch a thing. It was more out of necessity, there was a huge ammonia spike and I had to get him out pending a water change. This was a few weeks ago.

Okay....a lot of people have freaked a bit over all the stuff I have stuffed onto my Frag Rack....so....I decided to frame it all well and put up new pics of what all is on it....

These are obviously Left to Right....

IMG_1757.jpg

I will try to tell everything on the rack, first I will go Left to Right starting with the front. Purple polyp Pink Seriatoporia Birdsnest, Silver Bullet Bonzai Acropora, Dinosaur Egg encrusting Montipora. Back one row is my Blue / Green Acropora echinata, then to the far Right is a frag of Original Superman encrusting Montipora. The far back row is barely visible, it has a Neon Green NoName Favia, tiny Pink Acropora millepora, Neon Green (it really is, it just doesn't photograph) Mystery Acropora....this one came from a guy's huge tank when he was breaking down to move BACK to Hawaii, to begin his Doctoral preparation in Marine Biology at U of H....it was upside down, under the rocks and long forgotten....it had 2 tiny spots of life on it, each about 1/4 inch long. I cut them, mounted them, and let them grow....now it's getting to be a right nice piece....

Middle of the rack.....

IMG_1758.jpg

Starts with the same pieces from the last pic, then front, L to R is JKunz's frag of ORA Blue Acropora millepora, Then my Blueberry Lemonade Acropora nasuta. Second row is the Superman frag again, then a NoName Green Acropora (this one was completely brown when I got it), behind that one is JKunz's Mini-Colony of my Mindfrying Acropora desalwii (growing out on my rack since March), and then the ORA Marshall Island Blue Bottlebrush. If you look at the lower left area of the Bottlebrush, you can find the Acro Crab :D

Right End of the rack......

IMG_1759.jpg

That's my Rainbow Montipora first (this one was given to me, because it was in such poor shape, it was brick red on brick red), then the Greg Hillers AquaDelight Acropora, behind that is the Mike Paletta Blue encrusting Montipora. Back row is the ORA Borealis Acropora, then some ORA California Blue Acropora tortuosa.....

It's a bunch of stuff...and amazingly the rack is just 3 1/2 " X 9 1/2".....

Here are a few other new pics.....

JuicyCorals Pink Panties Acanthastrea lordhowensis....

IMG_1749.jpg

These guys are still bunking in the QT....

Rainbow encrusting Montipora....

IMG_1751.jpg

(the white area in the center is new growth not yet colored up...)

Blue Bottlebrush with Acro Crab very visible, lower left....

IMG_1753.jpg

JK's Blue mille frag again....

IMG_1750.jpg

I just cut this one a few days ago, it will be well encrusted by the time the pack goes to him!!!!!

It's so cool how you can get stuff thats off color and get it back to beautiful. My rainbow sunburst monti is whitening up. What can I do to treat it, I have moved it closer to the light. Will see how that does, but I'm right in thinking lougals is a nono for sps?

If it is turning white you prolly need to get it into lower light....it should be on the bottom for at least a week or two before moving it up....as long as it has PE and doesn't grow algae it should color back up eventually....

As for iodine dips, I use them on all SPS when I frag.....

I would leave it on the bottom and watch it....the polyps still have good color, so it's not technically bleached, it is prolly just pissed at being n all new conditions....Keep an eye on it and if it starts losing a lot of color consider a bit lower light, but otherwise it is prolly just acclimating....less than a week now? Give it some time....

And....be aware that some of these re-coloring tricks I have done have taken over a half a year.....MAJOR patience move.....That's why it seems like I keep some really ugly pieces in my tank....I give them a long time to see if they will turn nice again.....

If that Monti gets too ugly for you to want, just let me know, I will gladly haul it away for you.... :D

Archived