ReefCleaners.org

My 75 Gallon peninsula tank

MitchReef

The acro crab came in as a hitchhiker on the Marshall Island Blue Bottlebrush....all the way from ORA!!!!

BTW...I have a bunch of new pics and I plan to put in an update this evening.....gotta get ready for work just now.....

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These are going to be randomly arranged pictures taken on 7/13/09....

Tricolor Acropora valida....got smashed under a rock....encrusted wildly and finally decided to start growing....

IMG_1542a.jpg

IMG_1514.jpg

Chip's Acropora frag....

IMG_1520.jpg

Pink Birdsnest Seriatopora frag....

IMG_1529.jpg

Monkey Butt Pink chalice....

IMG_1531.jpg

Blueberry Lemonade Acropora nasuta.....

IMG_1501.jpg

IMG_1525.jpg

BGWMASGM....chalice....(That's short for Bubble Gum Water Melon Alien Swamp Gas Monster....chalice....)

IMG_1532.jpg

IMG_1522.jpg

Acropora desalwii Mother Colony.....

IMG_1548.jpg

Acropora desalwii frag / minicolony....it's 3 inches across!!!!

IMG_1506.jpg

Rainbow Montipora frag....the pale colored to slightly pink polyped area was the bottom of the frag plug before I cut it....

IMG_1503.jpg

Dinosaur Egg Montipora frag....

IMG_1505.jpg

IMG_1507.jpg

Enjoy.....

Mitch

Thanks so much for the compliments...I have had good success with this reed thusfar....I was just reading my hilarious tank move thread on my club site and had to lugh with how well it is doing now....

Funny story....the pink birdsnest was just about handball to tennis ball size and I took it out onto my back porch where I have a nice gelcoated round fiberglass table and my dremel always plugged in to cut a little frag for a friend and I dropped the colony onto the concrete porch floor....well....I ended up with a few extra frags..... :o and there were MANY little bitty pieces that were too little to fuss with....

• 2 weeks later...

A few new pics of frags and colonies....

IMG_1555.jpg

IMG_1556.jpg

IMG_1565.jpg

My new ORA corals....Marshall Island Blue Bottlebrush and Acropora borealis....

IMG_1584.jpg

IMG_1596.jpg

IMG_1578.jpg

IMG_1590.jpg

IMG_1599.jpg

IMG_1603.jpg

This Tricolor Acropora valida is rapidly becoming my favorite coral....

IMG_1610.jpg

Yup...I just love trading, but unfortunately shipping costs keep me just tradng locally....maybe some day I will be able to afford the thrill of getting a little box at work again.....

Thanks for the compliments...I have had amazing growth lately.....(Well....actually my corals have had amazing growth...I'm just getting older!!!!)

That tricolor A. valida is amazing! What's the scale on that picture? I'm just curious how big they get before they start to show that growth pattern.

Actually that growth pattern came by accident....it was a regular little three branched acro about 3 inches tall, encrusted well out onto the tile when I dropped the LR on it, crushing the entire vertical part....I put it in a good place and left it for over a year and this is how it came back.....Really cool growth, I'm thinking it will end up a major colony piece.....

Thank you Bryan....I think I realize the key to this hobby....it's an overall slow consistency.....keep it

consistent and do everything slow.....It matches my general disposition well......

That A. valida was the one that was doing well, growing nicely....

CIMG1166.jpg

That was last year July 23, 2008

Then the famous tank move and the dropped rock, and it got crushed.....

CIMG1369.jpg

That shot was 2 weeks later, on 8/7/08....

Then the slow encrustation and grow out....

CIMG1682.jpg

This one was 10-3-08

Then it grew some and bleached some and grew some more and finally voila!

IMG_1610.jpg

July 27, 2009....it was a heck of a year for this coral, but it's going to be fabulous real soon....

Nick's Reef

Mitch, did you get my pm about the frag pack? I was wondering what frags you have available. oralz look good btw! :)

I don't have much fragged just now, but could cut up a bunch of stuff...I do have a couple of nice Pink with Purple Polyp Seriatopora BirdsNest frags.....This one is spoken for, but I have two others just about like it available....

IMG_1606.jpg

Look through the recent opsts and let me know what you are interested in and I can figure out a pack, and have LittleRedneckMan check it out too.....I can figure it out and do some cutting.....

Nick's Reef

I like the pink bn, dewaslii (sp?), and the greenish acro you're holding a frag of that's between you red cap and confusa. I've heard it called ORA Marshall islands yellow fuzzy, but I don't know if that's what it is. If you can pm an estimated price that'd be great.

That is Juice's Neon Flashlight Acropora chesterfieldensis, or Chesterfield acro....I wish I could capture the true color of it...because it's truly frighteningly vivid neon green...I will take a look at what I can frag and give you a PM on the pack...

lilredneckman

Hey mitch, can you Pm me on how much it would be for a frag of your Pink Birdsnest Seriatopora and a frag of the dewaslii. I would really appreciate it!

Josh

Nick's Reef

Mitch, sorry, won't make the order for awhile my hater broke, temps hit 90, everything is fine so far but I gotta drop $30 on a new heater. :angry:

That works, I was looking at cutting them and giving them a couple weeks to heal up anyway....We can work it out.....

We may be trying to come down that way in the next few weeks for some scuba anyway, maybe we could work it out for that form of delivery! It would save on a cool pack and such.....

I just PM'ed Littleredneckman about the frags he was interested in, so y'all work it out and let me know....

Mitch

I am learning a whole new chapter of life lately. It all began last Tuesday, at work. I thought I was having a real monster muscle spasm in my back...and it lasted like 7 hours....even despite the 800 mg of Ibuprofen....Well, when it hit again late Thursday night I realized it might be something more than a muscle spasm, so we made a trip to the ER....I am passing a 5 to 6 mm kidney stone....it is just as hideous as everybody says....I am praying for it to pass out of me very soon....

Anyway, just to be nice to myself I went to my local purveyor of coral niceties and found this sweet frag of ORA Bird of Paradise Seriatopora....

IMG_1625.jpg

That's about 1/2 hour out of the bag, but it sure is pretty...huh?

Needreefunds

Sweet new frag Mitch!

Everything looks beautiful! That tri color story is something, and its doing just awesome.

Funny how an "ooops" or "oh chit!" can turn into a special piece down the road :P

I hope you pass that sucker and are feeling better real soon.

Hang in there my friend.

I appreciate all the good words NRF....the frag makes me feel better, but that stone is still trumping the hooey out of it!!!!

I have been eyeing the Bird of Paradise for a while now, and when I saw the mini colony of it I had to jump....

As for the tricolor, I was just devastated when I smashed it, but WOW...the end effect is a trip....

Paleoreef103

Awesome! What are you using for lights? Are you still using the modded MJ900, K4, and old powerheads for movement? What's you skimmer. Tank looks great! I love the peninsula look.

Archived