Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

A GOOD SKIMMER FOR UNDER $100 for a 25 gall or less?

liveclown

you guys gotta consider the fluctuating water level which makes any skimmer not skim consistently...

first is to have a ATO and then talk skimmer....

also more research is key to making a smart purchase...

Also what ato systems are compatible with a nano?

(By this I mean is there anything available that is small enough to not create an eyesore?)

Sorry I was not clear...what I meant was:

footprint available for a nano skimmer, l x w x h of the chamber the skimmer will be placed in

what is the water level in this chamber...does the level change with evaporation or not?

how much headroom in this chamber?

Look at reefbuilders.com and check out the new euro-reef nano skimmers to give you some idea of why I am asking the questions.

Hope this helps. ;)

you really need to read this thread. this person is looking for a HANG-ON-BACK SKIMMER!!!! this is the 3rd time it has been said.

you really need to read this thread. this person is looking for a HANG-ON-BACK SKIMMER!!!! this is the 3rd time it has been said.

Sorry about that...got mixed up with the wrong thread.

Sorry about that...got mixed up with the wrong thread.

lol. no prob. sorry, i've been grumpy lately. probably b/c i just spent $500 on a new skimmer. <_<

What specs should I be looking at when judging the efficiency of the skimmer?

The efficiency of a skimmer is based on the following:

1. Amount of air bubbles produced- ask for the amount of air taken in by the skimmer pump, the more the better.

2. Size of the air bubbles - the smaller the better...less then 0.5mm is desirable.

3. Size of the foam riser neck inside the cup( OD and length) - allows the accumulation of dry foam by shedding water from the air bubbles instead of pushing wet foam up the neck.

Ultimately the combination of the above parameters will give you the most efficient skimmer meaning that it will remove organic and inorganic materials the fastest... the problem is that any half way decent skimmer will make foam but that is only part of the story.

Hope this helps to get your moneys worth :) .

Octopus bh-100 is my recommendation.

This may be a little big for your tank but is works great and runs from $100-$120 based on where you find it. I have it on a 58 right now and it skims like crazy. The skim looks like guinness and the cup takes about a week to fill on my tank.

Archived