ReefCleaners.org

A GOOD SKIMMER FOR UNDER $100 for a 25 gall or less?

liveclown

I am looking for a skimmer that will do a good job at removing waste. I have been looking through forums from people with experiance with the prizm skimmers because I like it and could not really find anything...So I am starting a new topic on skimmers that would suffice a 25 gallon tank. The skimmer was this one:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...amp;pcatid=7928

Please give me some input on what I should do. This would be a fowler so size can be large as possible. I am hoping to make beeter water quality along with clarity?? Does it help with clarity??

Help,help,help,

"Tanks" a bunch.

I dont have a sump or fuge...it has to be hang over the back filter. Does the prizm do this?

the aquac remora is a hang-on-back skimmer

Why do you say that?? Have you personally tried it??

The reviews were pretty positive

Those aren't reviews, they are testimonials hand-picked by Drs. Foster and Smith to try and sell a product.

If you can go as high as 150, I would suggest this:

http://www.aquacave.com/detail.aspx?ID=1436

To be honest, you really can't get even a half-decent HOB or in-tank skimmer for less than 150, IMO.

The Tunze 9002, at the $150 price point, IMHO, marks the price which carries with it any degree of performance and quality. If you had a sump, you could probably spend as little as 100, but you don't, so its a moot point. (Since you can't get a sump for less than 50 anyway, I suggest the Tunze.)

Prizm skimmers are okay, we have one on one of the show tanks at work, and it does okay. I think the remora is much better.

If you can go as high as 150, I would suggest this:

http://www.aquacave.com/detail.aspx?ID=1436

To be honest, you really can't get even a half-decent HOB or in-tank skimmer for less than 150, IMO.

The Tunze 9002, at the $150 price point, IMHO, marks the price which carries with it any degree of performance and quality. If you had a sump, you could probably spend as little as 100, but you don't, so its a moot point. (Since you can't get a sump for less than 50 anyway, I suggest the Tunze.)

This is what I would have said if I had the patience to do so.

dude i hav a cpr bak pak off ebay used for 50 bucks. sucked ass at first, stuck an airstone in it and now it kicks ass. definitely buy it and put an airstone in it. gives me thick dark skimmate

I am looking for a skimmer that will do a good job at removing waste. I have been looking through forums from people with experiance with the prizm skimmers because I like it and could not really find anything...So I am starting a new topic on skimmers that would suffice a 25 gallon tank. The skimmer was this one:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...amp;pcatid=7928

Please give me some input on what I should do. This would be a fowler so size can be large as possible. I am hoping to make beeter water quality along with clarity?? Does it help with clarity??

Help,help,help,

"Tanks" a bunch.

What footprint, water level and total height is available?

I don't know quite what you mean? My tank is 20 inches high 12 inches wide or deep and 24 inches long or wide. So it is a 25 high if you r asking about the measurement of my tank

ive never used it, but seen aquatraders.com offer very cheap prices on skimmers. its an Odyssea outlet site, becuase its the only brand they carry. hopefully some one has a review on it becuase they are so dang inexpensive.

ive never used it, but seen aquatraders.com offer very cheap prices on skimmers. its an Odyssea outlet site, becuase its the only brand they carry. hopefully some one has a review on it becuase they are so dang inexpensive.

just say no to aquatraders.com. Alot of quality issues.

you guys gotta consider the fluctuating water level which makes any skimmer not skim consistently...

first is to have a ATO and then talk skimmer....

also more research is key to making a smart purchase...

i think this is a form of research. The OP asking people their recommendations, more or less people had some good comments or suggestions that added to his potential choice.

I don't know quite what you mean? My tank is 20 inches high 12 inches wide or deep and 24 inches long or wide. So it is a 25 high if you r asking about the measurement of my tank

Sorry I was not clear...what I meant was:

footprint available for a nano skimmer, l x w x h of the chamber the skimmer will be placed in

what is the water level in this chamber...does the level change with evaporation or not?

how much headroom in this chamber?

Look at reefbuilders.com and check out the new euro-reef nano skimmers to give you some idea of why I am asking the questions.

Hope this helps. ;)

you guys gotta consider the fluctuating water level which makes any skimmer not skim consistently...

first is to have a ATO and then talk skimmer....

also more research is key to making a smart purchase...

I wish that everyone would follow your advice...this hobby would flourish. :)

Research parameters would be in sequence of importance:

1.Who produces the most effective skimmer i.e which skimmer design will remove organics the fastest.

2.Will it fit in the available space.

3. What is the electrical usage by the skimmer pump.

4. Is it user friendly...minimal tweaking required.

5. Is it quiet.

6. Assuming all the above are met/acceptable, is the cost justified to protect the cost of all the animals.

Just a suggestion based on 19 years in this hobby having been around hundreds of reef tanks of all varieties and sizes.

I wish that everyone would follow your advice...this hobby would flourish. :)

Research parameters would be in sequence of importance:

1.Who produces the most effective skimmer i.e which skimmer design will remove organics the fastest.

2.Will it fit in the available space.

3. What is the electrical usage by the skimmer pump.

4. Is it user friendly...minimal tweaking required.

5. Is it quiet.

6. Assuming all the above are met/acceptable, is the cost justified to protect the cost of all the animals.

Just a suggestion based on 19 years in this hobby having been around hundreds of reef tanks of all varieties and sizes.

What specs should I be looking at when judging the efficiency of the skimmer?

Archived