SaltCritters.com

Prop Tank Setups

SeaMountain

Currently I'm running a 10g AGA with zoos and rics and have friend who'll frag off whatever I want from his 180g, 120g and 90g tanks.

What I'm thinking is to set up a prop tank using a spare 10g or possibly a 20L to grow out frags for trade, freebies, and possibly sell to the LFS. (This guy pays MORE wholesale than what I order online retail including shipping! Moron.)

What would be your ideal prop tank setup for something like this? Not one of those 90g 0r 120g Bryan prop tanks or a garf.org type of thing. Just a small one guy give out frags to friends type of thing.

sea, how nice of you to talk about a friend who is willing to frag corals so you can prop them and sell them because your friend is a moron and he overpays and you want to capitalize on that.

uhhhh... no way ShortSightedCrak. The LFS is the one who gets taken from the wholesalers. I looked at a small sun polyp there which he'll "discount" to me for $44. I can get the same thing elsewhere for $16-$18. Hell I could order nano-packs, frags from online sources and still sell to him for less than what he pays, and make a profit.

I'm going to be placing an order myself soon, most likely to spsfrags.com, based off of the pic's from your demised 26g. These I want to frag from my 10g as they get bigger. Then grow'em out - and possibly ship a few to you and others - gratis someday. You freakin' moron.

The "friend" is the one I dropped my torches and LR to as freebies for his 180g to make room in the 10g for new stuff. He's currently pruning and tossing away stuff, so I have first opportunity for them if I want them. This is why I want to do a prop tank.

Sorry not everything was spelled out and simplified in the original post for the low achieving IQ of yours. Now I see why you can't come up with new material in other threads.

But at least you have Quicken to bail you out on filing extensions, and tallying taxes. Daddy must be a proud one Crak...

Now do you have something on prop tanks to share, or are you just in the business of crashing tanks?

And no matter what your ignorant response shall be, you'll most likely be offered some as they're ready. Now go play your helicopter game some more...

Sea:

Since this is a Prop tank I'd imagine you'd want the Largest footprink available. What were you looking on spending? What are your size constraints? If you are looking for a nano, then of course a 20L. You may be able to buy or have a custom made breeder tank. Maybe a 16x30 or a 24x30 both only 12 inches high. It sounds Like you are into an SPS tank. What type of lighting would you get? One Fatty 400w or 2 x175 or what?

By the way, Sea, are you starting a new JCT?

Nawww... Just every so often you need to slap one of the idiots back into place. I can overlook it though since apparently the rant can be traced to a bad Deli and dysentery. Had I known I wouldn't have blasted him!

Now back to prop tanks...

Yeah space is at a premium so the 20L is my front runner. For lights, ghetto'ing a MH yard light from Home Depot or Loewes for under $50 seems to be the ticket.

A 55g may be too large overall, and I'm not sure if the height of the tank to number of frags and lighting would be worth it.

You may want to look into a standard 40. 16x36. Still is 16 tall, but lots bigger foot print. Where do you find the MH for $50? What is the wattage?

Depending on the Cost (20L is about $30-40) you may want to look in to a custom built tank.

If you weren't in Wyoming, I'd give you my 40. I have no space for it now.

sea, you bitter, whining hermit. if you plan on getting a bunch of sps frags and growing them out for fragging, you might as well go with a bigger tank than a 10, or even a 20. The lighting you will need over a 10 will produce too much heat and, as you already know from sending the cheese to me, those chillers are expensive and the pre-installed ones are hard to come by.

so, might I suggest, you dumb, mountain dwelling piece of dung, a larger, shallow tank like the 20 L or perhaps an ever longer one.

Like mr. Rye bread said,

With all those Frags get a larger tank.

Also, I have read that thread but I think monkey dood is out of his gord. There is still no firm SKU numbers from Lowes. I have checked thoroughly and found Squat.

The cheapest biggest MH is the Advance and Magntek ballasts on Ebay for 10-40 bucks depending on wattage. Now add reflector, socket and bulb and you got a $100 MH. Ugly as hell and you'd have to make sure the ballst can run the Bulbs you want, but that is the cheapest I have found.

Wait until he gets off the cr@pper jah! He'll work up something snotty for you too. My guess is he didn't - or couldn't - reply earlier as his tummy was a'rumblin'!

Probably ate at Poppy's. Not that there's anything wrong with that! He just don't wash his hands!

And yeah he ranted about smiley's a week or so ago. Maybe earlier issues with a clown or something.

Cartman! LMAO... Last night he spelled Jew as "J-O-O" referring to Kyle during an episode about David Blaine.

J-O-O Jew.

Pardon the spelling but:

Baruch ata Adonai, Alejaniu Mellach chaulam, ascher kiddishan, barmits-vuta, vitsivanu, lahad lichner(repeat), Shell Shabbat (channukah, or whatever).

Be sure to put the right accents on the right syllables and there you have it.

Crak = Adonai

Back to the Thread at hand:

So are you going for a 40 gallon, sea?

You can get away with a ghetto DIY 2x175 MH 6500k for less than $175 and have some killer growth on on your SPS.

http://aquaticlight.com/retrofit.html

Though I am sure you've seen it, I thought I'd point you there.

I emailed him and without the bulb it is 63 bucks for the kit.

You could probably do better on Ebay by getting one of the advance ballasts listed for 10-20 bucks. I hate magnetic ballasts though! They sure are crappy, but for a prop tank I would do it in a heart beat.

Maybe everyone at Southpark ate at poppy's with Gay homosexuals (not that there is anything wrong with that) and that is why they all started to poo out their mouths.

Say crak, you ever try stuffing a butterball in your ass?

Just make sure it's well buttered.

jah-d00d... You're just getting a TON of mileage outta this thread!

If I go 40, I might as well drag out the 90g itself and go Reef on it. Most likely I'll look into setting up the 20L. Or at least put it on my list of things I wanna do, but keep putting off!

The thing to do is to start amassing what'll be needed. I'll check out the link. Thanks man.

I was going to suggest the 30 to our friend Sea, the most excitable individual no the board. Holy Christ, you're worse than one of those yappy little dogs that ####es itself while it's nipping at your ankles.

From now on, thy new nickname is Tweek.

Like Billy Madison said while learning Spanish from his gardener," slow down.....s l o w d o w n."

You went from a 10 gallon because you had it, to a 90: not shallow, not prop tank, not cheap, not thinking, and all of a sudden you've got everyone else here taking us on an exile in Jewville.

OK, real thoughts (if that's imaginable): I had a 10 gal prop tank w 96w of PC, I placed eggcrate on the sandbed and things didn;t get knocked down. Fine unless you want to do prop acros. Acros may do "fine" according to a bunch of peple here, but no way for actually propping them. You need speed, growth and color. Even your Joe-blow LFS guy is going to get sick of brown SPS, no matter how cheap you sell them for.

Now, if you want to do nicey-nice acros, get some more lighting over your current tank first, so you can enjoy it.

Also, if you are going for growth and economy, your choice of bulb should probably be the Iwasaki 6500k, which looks pretty damn yellow, but has the best PAR value for the $ and the best growth. You'll just have to get used to the fact that your prop tank isn't a show tank & super purty to look at.

I actually saw an awesome prop tank on ebay a while back. It was 24x48: perfect size for 2 halides, and only a whopping 6-8" deep. two closed loops for end-to-end circulaton. Very shallow, but super coverage, since you can really blast them with halides. Get a good top-off for evap, though. I guess you could feasibly cover it, though. One halide over 24" square tank might be easier to accomodate. Go super ghetto and make it out of acrylic, and even use fiberglass tape to reinforce it: you won't need to see through the sides.

My rambling (and ironically, sober) thoughts for right now. Check in in a little while...back to studying.

Originally posted by Jahkaya

Say crak, you ever try stuffing a butterball in your ass?

Just make sure it's well buttered.

On this note, I was scanning though the channels over my dinner-break before, and "Stupidity on video" or some crap show was on FOX5, and some mexican worker was sweeping out the elephant cage, and the elephant backed up and sat down partially, and this idiot's head went right up the elephant's ass. Dropped his broom, a female co-worker drops her hose and starts screaming in hyper-spanish, trying to push the elephant away from the guy while he's slapping this elephant's ass cheeks. ABout 15 seconds later, the beast crapped his head back out, and the guy went to his knees and puked.

American entertainment @ its best.

Archived