• Created
  • Last Reply

ReefTank008.jpg

ReefTank006.jpg

ReefTank005.jpg

ReefTank010.jpg

ReefTank007.jpg

ReefTank002.jpg

Might have a FTS in a bit... still thinking about setting up the other light, but I need to buy a new (expensive) bulb. Anyone know anything about the Giesemann 150w bulbs? I can't decide between Coral (14500k) or Blue (20000k)

I was thinking about using that photo gallery panoramic thing to piece together a nice long FTS, but I'm going to wait until I get a background on there. Everything is doing quite well, especially the hammer coral. I miss my frogspawn, got stung by the galaxy coral and was a goner. Still can't decide on bulbs...

Yes, I also have a bully of a female Maroon Clown and a Six-line Wrasse... Been thinking about adding to it, not sure what to go with, maybe a dwarf angel or another surgeonfish

Miami Reefer

I've got a atlantic drawf angel which is pretty nice but he is a bit of a bully so he would fit right into your tank :D

I am leaning toward either a Flame or Potter's Angel... then again, I love Regal Tangs, I've had two so far that didn't survive very long. My mistake was getting them too small, as they sometimes don't get enough food for their metabolism and have a high mortality rate under 2". I think one died this way (malnutrition), while the other got its face sucked into one of the input holes on my Tunze 9002. :(:(

Man I love the Potters angel! I have always wanted one...my have to do that since my bro took the bi color

Nice shots Mike!

Thanks Maria, they were actually taken with a camcorder, believe it or not. Maybe I'll make a nice high-def video too... hard to find a site to host a file that big for free though, unless I drop the video quality. I see that you got rid of your old 40... bad girl! Well, scratches happen I suppose. Thanks for looking!

Here's a FTS with what you've all been waiting for....

A BACKGROUND!!!!

Untitled_Panorama1.jpg

Turns out Photoshop has a panorama feature too.

that tank is SERIOUSLY cool.

just my .02 but i think it would be cool to do SPS and LPS on the left with a 15k bulb and other stuff on the right with a 20K

edit: taged

Well, I have some bad news... my yellow tang died very suddenly last night. I was watching her swim in the current, looking very healthy and happy, and then less than a minute later I noticed her lying dead against the rock. I have no idea what it might have been, she really seemed in great health. Water params were all fine, all the other inhabitants are showing no signs of stress (except my pink plate coral was a little bleached, most likely due to the brighter bulb I have running on the right side now; I moved it back to the left for now). I guess a heart attack? Really horrible. Now, the other new inhabitant (pics to come) seems even more skittish as he had begun to play with the yellow tang, only to see her disappear. He (flame angel) still seems healthy enough, just not willing to come out of the rockwork very far...

Sorry to hear about that, maybe it felt cramped in the tank. There are so many other types of fish besides tangs that will look great in that tank. Tangs need ALOT of swimming room. I know 40 gallons is large but the yellow tangs should have around 100 gallons.

I suppose I could see that. She was a juvenile at only about 2.5" though, and she seemed to be loving the open space. Definitely swam the currents, and there was certainly no obvious decline, just all of a sudden... That's pretty well the main reason I went with a dwarf angel for my final fish, because they seem (from what I've read) to be more comfortable in a 40g tank than tangs. So now, with three fish, I may look to get another down the road.

The main problem I have with that is my maroon clown. She is a beast, and so any other fish I might add will have to contend with her. As well, my sixline wrasse has been known to pick on gobies and other similar-looking fish, so there's that. However, I am definitely going to stick with what I've got for a while now... I'm having enough trouble getting food to the angel, he won't come out of the rockwork now so I'm hand feeding through the cracks.

Here are the pics...

DSC00597.jpg

DSC00598.jpg

The new bulb is on the right in these... it seems a little blue as compared to the one on the left, but still not really enough for my taste

DSC00604.jpg

DSC00607.jpg

One of the new additions...

DSC00609.jpg

And the other, clearly looking a little the worse for wear, but out and swimming, and eating. Thanks for looking!

I might have spoken too soon. Haven't seen the little guy in at least 24 hours, and he doesn't seem to be in any of the cracks. This really sucks...

Found the deceased flame angel, after tearing apart the rockwork. I am about 95% sure that they died from light shock, the new uber-bright bulb had the same effect on the same fish in another local reefer's tank at the same time... so I sent them back, and went with some 20000k's. Tested the water again, everything is absolutely perfect. Actually, this is the first time I've been able to maintain 0 nitrates for any length of time, I think this tank will really take off over the summer with the new bulbs, and when I can restock it a bit.

Definitely! I'm glad the starfish is doing well though, he never spent any time under the bright bulb so I think he'll be fine. Some corals are still a bit light-shocked, but they're coming around

Lookin' good!

Flame angels stress very easily...I was thinking of getting one but have decided against as the last one I had lasted 6 days :(

The funny thing was, he probably would have been fine had he stayed in amongst the rocks on the left hand side, I left the Coralife bulb running on that side and everything that stayed on that side was fine. The maroon clown never leaves her den, so she was great, and the one time that the starfish went to the right hand side, he immediately felt the effects of the light and kind of collapsed. I think some of it might have to do with the UV glass on the Coralife fixture; it doesn't completely cover the bulb, so if the Giesemann 14500k bulb put out substantially more UV than the Coralife 14000k bulb, that would have certainly been detrimental to the fish and corals. My maxima clam (which was placed on the sand on the right) didn't make it either. And, the tang always hung out on the right hand side, so she felt the effects the soonest I'm guessing.

At least I know that the Giesemann 20000k bulb should be fine... another local reefer switched to it and his tank is rebounding nicely since the switch from the 14500k. It probably puts out less UV as well, and is certainly less intense. I've seen it running, and it seems to be about the same intensity as the Coralife 14000k bulb. Let me know what you guys think about this, and if you have any experiences with situations like this...

Archived