Top Shelf Aquatics

Mikellini's 40g Long

mikellini

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for all the support with the tang guys, I though I might get a visit from the tang police... a lot of people still think the tank is too small for an adult yellow, but if I keep lots of open water, it should have room to stretch its tail...

I appreciate the advice about moving the island, but I've set it up this way from personal experience... I think a lot of space is wasted if you're always trying to keep a space between the rock and glass, and I want to make the most efficient use of space as I can... remember, I still have at least 15 lbs more rock to add on the right.

I hope 40 longs become more popular... they're great!

By that time, I'll happily upgrade to a 100... and I'll be able to afford it! Two more years and I'll have my BScN...

So I made the move tonight, I'll take some pics tomorrow morning and make a post. Thanks for looking!

Looks great... I really like the open space as well. I would have to agree with some others about moving the rocks off the glass. I understand where your coming from but in my personal experience, having the rocks up against the glass like that is going to create a dead zone where eventually cyno will get a foothold. Which can be a real pain to get rid of once it's there.

I don't believe that the rock is creating any more of a dead zone than if it was only against the back... plus, with about 2500 gph of flow in the tank, I'm not too worried about cyanobacteria, and water changes should prevent that from taking hold...

Time will tell, I suppose... this isn't my first kick at the cat.

Very Nice. Love the head in the tank shot. You look like your in there inspecting how things are going.

I am jealous and you already mentioned a bigger tank(upgrade to a 100 gal).

Well good luck with this one while you keep it. The 29 would probably make a nice sump if you decide to go that way.

Thanks guys... having a bit of an issue with keeping the pumps from making sand dunes at the moment, but a few minor adjustments should take care of that. I love the flow, this is the most flow per gallon I've ever had and it's the best, very much like the ocean when I've been scuba diving

Still having troubles with the sand dunes... at this point it's trial and error, I'm now trying to point the tunze straight along the front of the glass, and the K4 along the back at a slight angle into the glass... hopefully this will bring the turbulence down enough to keep the sand from covering the plate and maxima as well as making a mountain on the right. Anyone have any experience with aiming 1200 gph pumps on a 4 ft. tank?

personally, i kinda like the "sand dunes". i'm really diggin this one, very unique tank you've got there.

the only thing i would've done different is paint the back.

glen- I guess they aren't the end of the world, it was just a matter of getting them from 8" dunes with bare glass down to 3 or 4" dunes... not really much I can do about it until there's more rock on the right...

• 3 weeks later...

It's settled in well, starting to age, ready for a 10g water change tonight... still playing with the flow, and i'll check on the rock to see how far along it is...

masterbuilder
personally, i kinda like the "sand dunes". i'm really diggin this one, very unique tank you've got there.

the only thing i would've done different is paint the back.

Agree

• 3 weeks later...
Shewillbemine

I'm not trying to start a web fight, honestly I'm not.

But I was admiring your tank, its inhabitants and especially how CLEAN the tank and the sandbed look.

Then I realized that it took only 8 days between the day you got the tank, filled it and then stocked it with fish, invertebrates and corals. I've owned 5 tanks so far and from my experience that's a little too much, too soon.

Am I way off base, are you doing something different or is there some truth to my observation?

Just wondering since like everybody else, I'd love to work that quickly when establishing my tank.

EDIT: Just noticed that you said you had everything cooking in a 29. If that procedure is followed, does that mean stocking a brand new tank will be just fine at that speed? I was always under the impression that seeded sand and water don't complete the cycling process. I always thought that a new tank would mean more waiting...

Well to be honest, the tank was set up fairly quickly, but not as quick as it looks... I didn't start posting pics until probably at least two weeks after it had been set up, and I think it was at least a month before I made the move with corals and fish... still, fairly quick, but I did use plenty of established LR and had it in the tank for weeks before the fish/corals hit the water. As for the rest of the rock, it seems like it's about ready to be brought up from the basement, so I'll post more pics once I get it in there. Thanks for looking!

As for the clean sand bed, it's still pretty clean, and I attribute that to the high flow and bi-weekly 10g water changes. But mostly, the flow prevents the growth of much algae, and I don't overfeed.

I actually love it, it's perfect... I have three more of them, and I've only used one of them, so I've been thinking about selling the other two for reasonably cheap...

Shewillbemine
Well to be honest, the tank was set up fairly quickly, but not as quick as it looks... I didn't start posting pics until probably at least two weeks after it had been set up, and I think it was at least a month before I made the move with corals and fish... still, fairly quick, but I did use plenty of established LR and had it in the tank for weeks before the fish/corals hit the water. As for the rest of the rock, it seems like it's about ready to be brought up from the basement, so I'll post more pics once I get it in there. Thanks for looking!

As for the clean sand bed, it's still pretty clean, and I attribute that to the high flow and bi-weekly 10g water changes. But mostly, the flow prevents the growth of much algae, and I don't overfeed.

Got it, thanks. The tank is very nice.

Archived