Innovative Marine Aquariums

API Reef test kit: reliable/useful?

redfishsc

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
say it outloud

no no no...I get that part--- it sounds like A-P-I (kinda like when I was a kid and everyone said "hey, spell I-CUP).

I just didn't quite understand the reason for the seemingly random phonics lesson, that's all.

The Propagator
no no no...I get that part--- it sounds like A-P-I (kinda like when I was a kid and everyone said "hey, spell I-CUP).

I just didn't quite understand the reason for the seemingly random phonics lesson, that's all.

FAIL

:P

I reckon I deserved that, but someone less dense is gonna have to explain it to me with hand puppets or something because the only thing remotely close to funny that I can tell is that is kinda sounds like you're saying "yes I urinated". :eek:

The Propagator

Sound out API. Only do it drawn out and spell it how it would sound overly enunciated..."aeeeee...peee...." see where its going ?

He was being fecetious with it like some one saying the word "API" stretched out with emphasis.

Ladies and gentlemen, humor is officially dead.

This is all that remains of what was once laughter in our hearts.

A dry baron waste land of over explanation that effectively kills anything even remotely humorous on contact.

This is all that remains of what was once laughter in our hearts.

A dry baron waste land of over explanation that effectively kills anything even remotely humorous on contact.

I dunno about that. Well, maybe here for sure.

But back when Clinton was in office, every time he further tried to explain his "situation" with the intern or his M/O for smoking weed, it got more, and more, and more hilarious (well, and tragic, in a funny kind of way).

Thats what I use and I believe it is quite reliable and useful.

I usually test mine at my LFS occationally just to make sure my readings agree with their more expensive testing equipment.

The Propagator
I dunno about that. Well, maybe here for sure.

But back when Clinton was in office, every time he further tried to explain his "situation" with the intern or his M/O for smoking weed, it got more, and more, and more hilarious (well, and tragic, in a funny kind of way).

"define the word is."

:D

burnofvengeance

I just got this test kit and used it for the first time today.

The calcium test I think something's off. As it's supposed to turn from pink to blue as you add more drops mine just keeps turning pinker for some reason.

So either my calcium is somewhere over 520, it's user error (which I did read the directions haha), or maybe I got a bad test.

Any ideas?

(Sorry not trying to take over your thread but I figured it's pretty close topic wise)

Hmm, what kind of salt are you using? I had mega-high calcium when I used Coralife salt. I kept adding drops and adding drops until I lost count. Coralife salt has a TON of calcium in it but has a nasty reputation for having large fluctuations in actual content.

Also, are you dosing calcium in any way?

crustyreefer84

im new to this but from what ive experienced the api's seem to be very reliable...expensive but reliable haha...get your wife a big purse and the expense of these kits wont phase you...j/k? haha

Well I had a similar experience like babyjess210 where I have an API test kit and a Salifert test kit, my Salifert read my water at 420, and the API reads 520 and I do not think D-D H2Ocean Pro + salt actually come with calcium around the 520, instead is promoted at 420, and everyone else that I know have tested for it around the 420. And I check the lot number on the API bottles and it ends on 08 so it should be good (but false readings).

burnofvengeance
Hmm, what kind of salt are you using? I had mega-high calcium when I used Coralife salt. I kept adding drops and adding drops until I lost count. Coralife salt has a TON of calcium in it but has a nasty reputation for having large fluctuations in actual content.

Also, are you dosing calcium in any way?

I'm using just the standard instant ocean. No, I'm not dosing anything at all. I figured testing for it before adding more was the best thing to do.

The Propagator

If your test kit just keeps turning pink after about 18-20 drops or so then your calcium is WAAAAaaaaay high.

Keep adding, shaking, and counting drops as you go. When it turns from pink to blue take the number of drops it took and go by the chart. If the number of drops exceeds whats given on the chart simply go by the ppm raised per drop as per the chart ( IE add 20ppm per drop over 520 ppm which is the max ppm given @ 26 drops on an API calcium test kit. )

It will turn... Just keep at it. :)

The Propagator

Stop adding calcium until levels return to normal, then dose properly. ;)

Also do not forget to check your salts calcium levels in a newly mixed gallon or so of water.

I would check magnesium, alkalinity, and calcium while your at it so you know whats going in to your tank.

burnofvengeance

Wow. For the record I am a total idiot. I read it straight across for some reason. For example I read it like 1 drop was 280ppm not 20ppm so when I got to 13 drops I thought it was off the charts. Thats what I get for not reading more closely.

*thanks for your help though.

burnofvengeance

It's at 340 but that's after a week without a water change. So it should be just fine after I do one.

Plus I'm making the switch from Instant Ocean to Reef Crystals. Which is supposed to have extra calacium and trace elemtns. So that should help as well.

It's at 340 but that's after a week without a water change. So it should be just fine after I do one.

Plus I'm making the switch from Instant Ocean to Reef Crystals. Which is supposed to have extra calacium and trace elemtns. So that should help as well.

be careful w/ reef crystals. it's inconsistent.

my newest batch has a CA level of 420 and an ALK level of 13. my last batch was CA 360 and ALK 10. what is their deal?

The Propagator

Every salt brand on the market has the same issue.

The fact is that it is damn near impossible to make up consistent batches due to the physical form. ( micro crystal ).

That would mean each crystal would have to have an exact amount of each element in every, bag bucket, and jug. Its literally impossible. If it were in liquid form it would be very easy. But dried crystal form is the bigger bang for the buck for us reefers.

420-360 & 13 - 10 isn't really that bad at all in the big picture.

It just means you have to dose a tad more when its off.

Archived