Coral Vue Hydros

API Reef test kit: reliable/useful?

redfishsc

At the moment I'm only testing pH and nitrates, and all is well.

However I know I soon need to be testing PO4, Calcium, and especially Alk.

I know some folks have used these. I know they won't be lab-grade tests, but I do want to avoid kits that can be really inaccurate. I know for a fact this particular API nitrate kit will give false high readings if it's old. That's happened before to me, but then again it's not all that hard to know when you have an old kit, and it's also perfectly understandable.

Is this a decent kit?

reef-master-test-kit.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have used the "reef" kit for some time now. both Cal and Alk are accurate when compared against my salifert tests. As for the others (nitrate, etc.) I cannot make a claim.

I started using them when I set up my tank, I found they most of the time they are pretty good but one thing I did find was if I tested one nutrient level in the water then dumped it, rinsed it out and tested my ph it sometimes seems to read low so now I have all my vials labeled so I only use that one vial for the same test every time. hope this helps some

Casey

.... so now I have all my vials labeled so I only use that one vial for the same test every time. hope this helps some

Casey

What a great idea. I had not thought of that.

they're accurate enough for me. if i was keeping a tank full of thousands of dollars of sensitive sps, yeah i'd invest a couple hundred dollars in quality test kits.

they're accurate enough for me. if i was keeping a tank full of thousands of dollars of sensitive sps, yeah i'd invest a couple hundred dollars in quality test kits.

As would I!

I plan on keeping restraint on stocking the tank, and I'll be using dosing methods I've used before (especially kalk) so I think with the more "general" kits like the API I'll do fine.

NorthCoralNewB

Thats the test kit I use. I have had great and accurate results with the use of this test kit.

The one thing I HATE about this product is when you cap the test tube and shake once you open the cap some of the contents spill out this may affect the test results but I haven't found inaccuracy yet.

I have been told when using products such as Stress Coat w/ Aloe Vera your Nitrate Test will give you a false reading...

Good Choice

Northcoral,

You're right about it spilling out, especially the nitrate (which I already have). The problem, I think, is that one of the reagents causes a slight reaction that produces a gas, which would pressure out some fluid from around the cap. The ammonia and nitrite kits don't leak on me like the nitrates.

BTW just wrap a paper towel or something around the cap while giving it the 60-second shake.

Yeah, I like the API test kit as well. I have both the salt and reef test kits.

I have the same problem with some solution leaking out when uncapping the vial. I've actually been thinking about replacing the tubes with a higher quality tube and cap setup, as well as a full stand and drying rack. They're fairly cheap to buy.

I took a look at the salifert setups... wow. Pricey. But I guess I'd go with that too if I had more expensive corals.

The Propagator

Meh... I've got a couple thousand in live stock easily on just one rack in my frag systems.

I trust the API kits for those. Just don't use them if they are a year or more old. ( like anything else though.. ) I find them very accurate for my purposes.

The Propagator

To tell how old they are look at the last two digits of the lot number on the bottle its self.

don't look on the box because I am just about positive its not on there. It is only found on the bottle its self.

If it ends on 06 then it was made in 2006 and so on.

To tell how old they are look at the last two digits of the lot number on the bottle its self.

don't look on the box because I am just about positive its not on there. It is only found on the bottle its self.

If it ends on 06 then it was made in 2006 and so on.

Thanks Prop I didnt know that

Casey

The Propagator

Shiat we already know your loaded...quit bragging !

:P

I owe you a photo don't I ?

To tell you the truth though after adding some alk to quick the other day my purple digitatas have lost a little zing. They are as purple as they were. BUT they are coming back. ( that was what I was suppose dot send you a photo of wasn't it ? )

I use the API alk test and the readings was very close to my salifert so i decide to buy the cal test from API. The API test 450, salifert was 360 and Elos was 375.

Archived