Pod Your Reef

coldwater aquapod? can it be done?

Kigs

• 1 month later...
er1c_the_reefer

thinking of going coldwater too, cause i have a spare current 1/10th lying around. if i got a 1/2" acrylic tank, think i can handle 20g here in so cal?

er1c_the_reefer

how insulated does it have to be? i kind of want a rimless, so that means open top, but would that defeat the purpose of having an insulated tank?

I think the 1/2" acrylic would be enough. The chiller would probably run 50/50 in the summer, though. you'll lose heat through the top of course, but I don't think it will be too big a problem. you'd be safer insulating the sides - or decreasing the volume, to 15 gallons or so. Is the tank going to be custom? If you like the look of tall tanks, go that route. Colder water holds more oxygen so you don't have to worry about that, but less surface area means less heat loss.

er1c_the_reefer

still thinking about it; gotta contact local acrylic guy. i'm liking wide, shallow tanks. sort of like zero edges but not overflowing. and i really like waratah anemones, but i heard the water doesn't have to be that cold to keep them.

A shallow 20g tank is going to be iffy, imo. I would hate for you to get one built and then find your poor chiller running nonstop to keep it cool. Waratahs should still be kept around 65 degrees.

lol probably. I guess it depends on your work ethic - you will be feeding a LOT, so either lots of big water changes, or a good skimmer and fewer water changes.

At the very least pop on a hang-on filter for some mechanical and chemical filtration.

Archived