Top Shelf Aquatics

Testing for CAL and ALK

new2reef

I'm going to throw this out there. Both of you guys are right.

The Alk/ Calcium ratio mentioned is correct as calcium carbonate precipitates.

However, other things that happen in the tank will effect the drop in Alk. In this way, dosing equal parts without testing and compensating for this over time spells disaster as Prop said.

Thanks for all the replies - this also confirms why I'm not too thrilled about dosing. It's part art and part science! And done wrong, a quick way to screw up the tank.

I think my test kit (API) is okay. Had my Nitrate solution go bad, so I know now to double check. I used it to test not only my DT water, but current LFS SW and SW from a different LFS - all had different values.

I used the Calcium Calculator, which is recommending higher dosing, but decided to start slowly to measure effects, good & bad. I don't have a drip, so am pouring it in. Not optimal.

Don't think my corals are using up a lot of Cal or Alk - all LPS and soft - and the dosing seems to have little effect on readings. I think my low readings are due to the low readings of the source SW.

Some numbers - pH is solid at 8.4 (day); over night it drops a little.

Current Source SW from LFS: Cal 340 & Alk 143. :o

Display Tank : Steady at Cal 380 & Alk 125, though they briefly jumped to 400 & 143.

New SW from LFS: Cal 380 & Alk 179.

SW from Another LFS: Cal 460 & Alk 161 - this is just about right for my tank. :D

So, I think I'll try to live with the 380 & 125 till I switch to new LFS's SW. It appears for my corals, the Cal is okay, but Alk is a little low.

Any way to just raise Alk without affecting Cal or pH?

The Propagator

Hi ya ,

If I were you I would simply turn a water bottle up side down, poke a hole in the lid. Poke a hole in the top.

Place an air tube in the lid with and air valve on it to control your drip and your done.

It cant get any cheaper or easier unless its free ! :D

When you fill it up just remove the lid and stick your finger over the hole in the bottom.

When you replace the lid, close the valve and flip her over your set. You can hang it with string or what ever right beside the tank while dosing.

That will affect the pH it will bring it down...Just as baked baking soda brings it up.

True, but the effect is MUCH less using baking soda than baked baking soda and since his ph is already 8.4 you don't want it to go up more.

Archived