Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Testing for CAL and ALK

new2reef

I'm trying to get my Calcium and Alkalinity up a bit. Levels are CAL 380ppm and ALK 125-143ppm. My source SW is at these levels. Using ESV B-Ionic 2-Part.

So when should I test to see how the dosing is going. I am testing right before next dose, so 24 to 48 hrs after dosing using API kit. Should I be testing shortly after dosing to see effects?

Have softies and LPS.

I would test to see where you’re at. Then I would test again exactly 24hrs later. That will tell you exactly how much your tank consumes per day.

Then use the reef calculator and add the appropriate amount of PartA. Wait 30-45mins and then add PartB. Then wait another 30-45mins and test for both alk/cal to make sure you are on the right track.

The hardest part for me was to figure out EXACTLY how many gallons of actual water I had. I calculated that I have only 14g of water in my 29g BC. The sand and rock displace tons of water.

I use up 9ml of partA, 9ml of partB and 6ml of magnesium every 24hrs.

I've been testing after 24 hrs and still get same readings. I will try to get some readings after dosing.

Yes, figuring out water volume is a guess. Used the calculator, but have been keeping dose low, since this is my first time, but will increase.

What was your base Cal and Alk and what did it increase to after dosing?

AcroporaLokani

You may want to look in to your test kit, I have one (calcium test kit by seachem) that reads the exact same thing 128 PPM even if I just put in 2 ounces of kent marine turbo calcium an hour or two before.

I've been testing after 24 hrs and still get same readings. I will try to get some readings after dosing.

Yes, figuring out water volume is a guess. Used the calculator, but have been keeping dose low, since this is my first time, but will increase.

What was your base Cal and Alk and what did it increase to after dosing?

You must not be adding enough to make a difference.

What brand is your alk, cal, mag test kits?

The Propagator
I'm trying to get my Calcium and Alkalinity up a bit. Levels are CAL 380ppm and ALK 125-143ppm. My source SW is at these levels. Using ESV B-Ionic 2-Part.

So when should I test to see how the dosing is going. I am testing right before next dose, so 24 to 48 hrs after dosing using API kit. Should I be testing shortly after dosing to see effects?

Have softies and LPS.

Your not to far off on your alkalinity at all. That 125-143 ppm converts to 7-8 DKH which is not to far off target. I would add a tad more to bring it up to 9.5-10 DKH ( or 165 ppm - 178 ppm) this week. Keep it stable until about this time next week then bump it up to 10.5 DKH ( or 187.5 ppm) and keep her there.

With the coral types your keeping a calcium level of 380 is fine.

You always want to make sure your calcium is balanced with your alkalinity.

10.5dkh requires 435ppm of calcium to be perfectly balanced.

380ppm of calcium requires 3dkh of alk to be perfectly balanced.

Another VERY important element is magnesium. You will have a really hard time maintaining calcium and alkalinity if your mag is too low.

Wright. But that does not mean you have to dose them both in equal parts at the same time.

Well not quite.

They should be dosed in equal parts 30-45mins apart.

The Propagator

Dude your going to OD some ones tank via proxy if you keep spewing that out or eluding to it.

( my reply above yours there was a mistake though any way.. I had the other thread on the brain)

But since we are on it now too...

Both alkalinity and calcium will NEVER be used up at the same time/rate. EVER.

Alk will 9 out of 10 times consistently be used up faster then calcium in almost every case, and situation.

There for there is no reason or need to dose calcium along with it in an equal amount. If you have alk @ 6 and calcium at 420 and you dose equal "balanced" amounts based on that you will OD your tank on calcium.

But your are absolutely correct that you need to wait a while after dosing one before you dose the other so the don't coagulate.

With all due respect "The Propagator" you are wrong.

You should read up on the 2part articles writen by Randy Holmes-Farley.

Not matter what. When alkalinity drops by 2.8dkh the calcium will drop 20ppm. That is why 2part is used. So that you can replenish both alkalinity and calcium in a ballanced way.

The Propagator

That is so far out in left field I don't know where to begin.

Just wait until Ben wakes up. He'll be all over these threads.

Dude is gonna pop a vein ! :haha:

I believe in a balanced system for every 1 point drop in meq/L Ca drops by 20ppm.

RHF himself states however this is not always the case and that some tanks can consume more of one than the other depending on the inhabitants.

Your tank does NOT need to be balanced. You do NOT need to dose in equal parts if your tank is not consuming both parts equally. Why would you? What do you think will happen if your tank isn't "balanced"? The balance Randy talks about in his articles is just as a starting point for 2 part dosing. I keep my Ca around 440 and my Alk at 9-10. My is at 1440.

I would test to see where you’re at. Then I would test again exactly 24hrs later. That will tell you exactly how much your tank consumes per day.

Then use the reef calculator and add the appropriate amount of PartA. Wait 30-45mins and then add PartB. Then wait another 30-45mins and test for both alk/cal to make sure you are on the right track.

The hardest part for me was to figure out EXACTLY how many gallons of actual water I had. I calculated that I have only 14g of water in my 29g BC. The sand and rock displace tons of water.

I use up 9ml of partA, 9ml of partB and 6ml of magnesium every 24hrs.

This is fine advice.

Dude is gonna pop a vein ! :haha:

B)

An explanation from a moderator on another site that helped me to understand the relationship a little better.

Quote:

There is a slight additional burden on Alkalinity but it's very slight. Instead of 1:1 it could actually be something more like 1:1.01.

Here is why it can appear that ALK drops faster using a mythological tank with rounded numbers as an example.

Lots of corals and a large variety.

Ca maintained around 400ppm, ALK maintained around 3.0Meq/L.

Let's say over a week 100ppm of calcium is consumed. Using the 1:1 ratio as a guide you can expect about 100ppm of Carbonate to also be consumed.

The result is a 25% decrease in Calcium as it drops from 400ppm down to 300ppm.

On the Alkalinity side 100ppm of Carbonate is removed from the alkalinity equation leaving an Alkalinity of 1.0Meq/L, almost a 70% drop in Alkalinity.

I don't see where the descrpency is. No one disagrees with you in what you've said except for the fact that tanks can consume Alk and Ca in different ratios. Based on that consuption it may be necessary to adjust the ratio of 2 part that you dose on a regular basis.

So far the people that are telling you this know it to be true from personal experience... including myself.

His name is "Boomer" and he's one fart smeller!

My tank will drop alk by 2dka per day. It drops Ca by about 100 in a week. If I were to dose ca so it was in balance with my alk I would end up with it not being consumed. My alk gets used up quickest, then Mg, the Ca.

As Prop says... It all depends on your tank. I think what Prop was trying to say is that try not to encourage people to automatically dose like that as over a week they could end up with horrendously out of whack ca/alk balance and a ton of precipitation on their hands. Always dose for what is actually used not what is used in a theoretical tank ;)

My tank will drop alk by 2dka per day. It drops Ca by about 100 in a week. If I were to dose ca so it was in balance with my alk I would end up with it not being consumed. My alk gets used up quickest, then Mg, the Ca.

As Prop says... It all depends on your tank. I think what Prop was trying to say is that try not to encourage people to automatically dose like that as over a week they could end up with horrendously out of whack ca/alk balance and a ton of precipitation on their hands. Always dose for what is actually used not what is used in a theoretical tank ;)

BAH. When you dose PURPLE UP your ratios are always off. :P

I offcially give up. lol

You guys need to learn how to read. :)

Dude... you tank is nice, but you hardly have enough hard corals in there to speak from experience. If all I did was read the articles I would agree with you too.

Dude... you tank is nice, but you hardly have enough hard corals in there to speak from experience. If all I did was read the articles I would agree with you too.

This is not my first reef tank. -_-

Been like that since I got hard corals, nothing to do with PU which I have only been using for 5-6 weeks...

Been like that since I got hard corals, nothing to do with PU which I have only been using for 5-6 weeks...

Just bustin your chops...

Archived