Pod Your Reef

Reef Crystals OR Instant Ocean?

redfishsc

A local LFS owner (of a very well run LFS judging by the look of the store and health of the critters) told me that he uses only IO and stocks only IO for reef aquariums. Not a scoop of Reef Crystals or any other "reef salt" mix to be found.

Since then I've chatted with a few other folks who do the same thing. They all dose with either the 2-part calcium mixes or top off with Pickling Lime.

I used to always use the pickling lime myself and never had a problem but I also always used Coralife (but will NOT anymore after reading about how horridly it varies in composition, which I can attest may have caused me some trouble).

For those of you who have low to moderate amounts of sps, do you think something with beefier calc levels is necessary or can you supplement it in?

The main reason I ask is b/c IO is the easiest to find mix around here and finding any of the high-calc salts is a bit of a PITA.

And if anyone knows any good stores online that offer salt at a reasonable price WHEN SHIPPING IS CONSIDERED I would be greatly indebted to ya!

Thanks!

Matt

And if anyone knows any good stores online that offer salt at a reasonable price WHEN SHIPPING IS CONSIDERED I would be greatly indebted to ya!

Thanks!

Matt

Not sure about the difference in the two but Dr. Fostersmith has a good deal on both and there is no extra shipping charge. I can buy 2 buckets and have them shipped for what my LFS charges for one.

The Propagator

Yeah that's where I get my salt now.

Its frigg'n regodamndiculous what an LFS will charge for a bucket of salt around here.

You figure they are buying a half pallet or so ( 15 buckets I guess ? ) for probably around $15-20 per bucket with a freight $ of $65.00 -$75.00 if they don't. On the high end thats what .. $25.00 per bucket ( shipped to them for them) and they are charging like $69.99 for a 200 gallon Oceanic bucket mix in these parts.

I know Doctor Fosters and smith makes it up through volume, but damn man. that's almost 3 times the costs, and almost 1 and 1/2 times what I can get if from D&F for ya know ( including shipping).

There is absolutelty nothing wrong with using IO if you dont mind boosting cal/alk/mag.

If you cant be bothered than go with a higher quality salt. I personally hate reef crystals. Too high in alk (12dkh) too low in magnesium (1140ppm) and calcium is "ok" at (410ppm)

I use Reef Crystals, but Randy Holmes-Farley uses IO and boots the levels. The high Alk is good for me because my tank is pretty heavy in SPS. I also order from Drs Foster and Smith.

I try to support one of my locals but prices are just too good online now for salt and you can get mixes that you don't have to dose anything. For most nano reefs, water changes should be pretty much all you need. Opinions are like...well you know...and I like it when someone says they prefer one mix but are willing to stock a variety.

Yeah that's where I get my salt now.

Its frigg'n regodamndiculous what an LFS will charge for a bucket of salt around here.

You figure they are buying a half pallet or so ( 15 buckets I guess ? ) for probably around $15-20 per bucket with a freight $ of $65.00 -$75.00 if they don't. On the high end thats what .. $25.00 per bucket ( shipped to them for them) and they are charging like $69.99 for a 200 gallon Oceanic bucket mix in these parts.

I know Doctor Fosters and smith makes it up through volume, but damn man. that's almost 3 times the costs, and almost 1 and 1/2 times what I can get if from D&F for ya know ( including shipping).

bucket of instant ocean costs us $38, we sell it for $49.99. we lose on salt, because we don't have room for pallets/half pallets/whatever

I use Reef Crystals, but Randy Holmes-Farley uses IO and boots the levels. The high Alk is good for me because my tank is pretty heavy in SPS. I also order from Drs Foster and Smith.

FYI most SPS dominated tanks are kept between 7dkh - 9dkh.

The only real advantage to keeping high alk is if you had low ph.

Reef Crystals is great. DF&S has great deals. I would definitely use Reef Crystals if you are looking for good growth.

BTW here are my results using Reef Crystals to start a new tank. Mixed up to 1.025 SG

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...=166621&hl=

If those aren't good numbers I don't know what is. I initially mixed to 1.025 and am now mixing to 1.026 with PERFECT numbers.

Reef Crystals is great. DF&S has great deals. I would definitely use Reef Crystals if you are looking for good growth.

You are right about growth.

High alk will speed things up but you may not be too impressed with the color of your SPS.

High alk will speed things up but you may not be too impressed with the color of your SPS.

False. I know PLENTY of people with SPS tanks who keep their alk elevated and have AWESOME color. Not sure where you're getting your information from.

Yeah, I don't know where you are getting this info from. Can you cite a source or something? I target mine at about 10 and that is where most of my buddies in the club keep theirs.

That proves nothing other than there are lots of people who keep thier levels at NSW. In the same thread there were plenty of people who keep high alk. Also some of the people who report using low alk are also doing Zeo where you need low alk...

Show me science... I know of plenty of tanks with alk in the 12-13 range that are AMAZING.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php

Beat_Dead_Horse.jpg

Well, I decided to buy Red Sea Coral Pro salt... Can't say I much like it. But it IS the first salt I've ever used. It raises the ph of my RO/DI water from about 7.6 to 8.6-8.8 and the dKH is about 8 with the SG in the appropriate range.

Most people on here complain about IO so I dunno if I want to try it, though I could always mix the two salt mixes. But our LFS and PetSmart seem to only carry IO and Red Sea mixes.

This is a good discussion y'all. Thanks.

At the moment I have a 25g mix of IO that I'll be using for the meantime. Once it's spent I'll probably order some Reef Crystals.

The Propagator
bucket of instant ocean costs us $38, we sell it for $49.99. we lose on salt, because we don't have room for pallets/half pallets/whatever

Then your getting your azzez handed to you on a silver platter in a big big way by your supplier and need to find another one. I mean seriously. I am not calling you out or a liar here... but if I can buy it cheaper online SHIPPED RETAIL then you can wholesale there is a real problem there. Half pallet or single bucket, room for it or not... that's just bad business practice man ( Unless you more then make up for it in other areas upside down sales are a good way to go out of business fast.). I would be making room in the back for 15-20 buckets and buying it that way from now on. That would only take up a small closet when they are stacked up. :)

but if I can buy it cheaper online SHIPPED RETAIL then you can wholesale there is a real problem there.

Eh, not necessarily. I've only worked at one LFS in my time (a lousy LFS and I crawled the owner good when I left for mistreating his critters), but I have worked a LOT of retail. I've seen situations where commodity products (whether salt mix or garlic salt) can be bought and sold by the huge BORG companies cheaper than the little guy can buy himself.

Lights are a good example. I used to buy from this one LFS in particular that always had ridiculous prices on NO light tubes (Coralife and PowerGlo). I could get them for $20 shipped online, and he said that he couldn't even get them from his supplier that cheap. I knew for a fact they marked all their dry-goods up by 60% from what they paid for them so I knew he was right.

LFS's need a Sam's Club type thingy don't they?

HecticDialectics

crappy business model FTL

Got mine from DR foster and smith for $35 and Is spent $30 to ship 120 pounds of stuff from them.

I won't be getting that deal in Hawaii though :(

Got mine from DR foster and smith for $35 and Is spent $30 to ship 120 pounds of stuff from them.

I won't be getting that deal in Hawaii though :(

If you're in Hawaii (or are going there) then just use natural seawater. Well, if you have a good back!

Then your getting your azzez handed to you on a silver platter in a big big way by your supplier and need to find another one. I mean seriously. I am not calling you out or a liar here... but if I can buy it cheaper online SHIPPED RETAIL then you can wholesale there is a real problem there. Half pallet or single bucket, room for it or not... that's just bad business practice man ( Unless you more then make up for it in other areas upside down sales are a good way to go out of business fast.). I would be making room in the back for 15-20 buckets and buying it that way from now on. That would only take up a small closet when they are stacked up. :)

if we had 15-20 buckets of all the salts we carried in the back, there wouldn't be room for our sumps or water vats :haha:

we're a small store, we carry 6 salts. we keep a bucket of each and 3 bags on the shelf. we rarely have to order salt, and most of our customers buy our pre-mixed water anyway.

and our price is STILL the cheapest in town, because our closest competition charges almost twice that. people around here are just lazy and would rather buy water. i have about 6 customers a week that get 25 or more gallons of saltwater!

Archived