Pod Your Reef

Just switched to Tropic Marin, Corals slow to adapt?

aparnold

I talked to a friend today and discovered I might not have been mixing my salt properly. I've been using a powerhead and heater for 4 hours, but he said I should wait 24. Also, I will try using an airstone as well. He said that although I may not see any mix particles the mix might not be completely disolved, and this may be stressing my corals. I figured an airstone wouldn't hurt either.

Does anybody agree that water that hasn't mixed long enough could stress corals?

Update... Zoas still not happy with water change. :( Rics are a little more happy, but they were slightly closed today. All other corals and fish are perfectly happy.

Still, changing 10% at a time should not cause huge problems. They may just be adjusting. Softies can be as finicky as SPS sometimes.
  • 2 weeks later...

A quick Update... It turns out that the RO/DI water I was Getting from Aquarium Works in North Hollywood, CA was complete garbage... Testing at 316 TDS:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=171684

I think this might have been the culprit. I will start mixing some new water today and report back...

Thanks Everybody here for all the help. This Drama has been a real eye opener for me.

fierceseaman

Yeah, that could do it, who knows what was in that 316 that could make corals unhappy. On the subject of aging the salt water, I would say, if you can do it then it can't hurt but it you mix it up and it test correctly in terms of salinity, pH, and temp, there should be no problem with adding it then. Adding an airstone might help if your aquarium doesn't have great mixing to being with because going through RODI usually strips water of O2.

Yeah, that could do it, who knows what was in that 316 that could make corals unhappy. On the subject of aging the salt water, I would say, if you can do it then it can't hurt but it you mix it up and it test correctly in terms of salinity, pH, and temp, there should be no problem with adding it then. Adding an airstone might help if your aquarium doesn't have great mixing to being with because going through RODI usually strips water of O2.

I started the mix today before I went to work, so By tomorrow it should be fine. Maybe about 18-20 hours of aging. I added an airstone too. I'm curious to see how the water tests with this new water. I am really curious about the calcium as our water here is very hard... Which means it could have been throwing off my calcium reads.

A quick Update... It turns out that the RO/DI water I was Getting from Aquarium Works in North Hollywood, CA was complete garbage... Testing at 316 TDS:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=171684

I think this might have been the culprit. I will start mixing some new water today and report back...

Thanks Everybody here for all the help. This Drama has been a real eye opener for me.

LOL watch out for LFS in Socal and their so call RO/DI water. I use to buy water from different LFS and never did i get 0 TDS. Most were 45, 15, and even 115...wonder why i always had algae issue. I Broke down and got a RO/Di system. I did use reefcrystal and my alk was getting low (6) even with dosing 2 part. Started using seachem and level are slowly rising (8.6)

The Propagator

I am switching after YEARS of using Oceanic to Seachem reef salt my self.

Proll'y come back with a bucket tomorrow actually.

WOW, what prompted that?

You've been such a proponent of Oceanic for so long.

masterbuilder

Thinking about a controller AND switching salts.....what the #^@! :huh:

THE SAGA CONTINUES....

All right folks... That bad water was really f*cking up my water. Now that I've started using quality water I have some new numbers to report. The readings are now much closer to what Tropic Marin reports:

current mixed water levels:

dKH = 7

PH = 7.9

CAL = 500

This is after mixing for about 40 hours. Calcium is still higher than TM reports. ALK and PH appear to be right on.

I've purchased some Kent PH Buffer to bring up the Alk, and PH. I will buffer PH and ALK a little higher. I'm hoping for a pH about 8-8.3 and dKH about 8-10. Anybody have any comments?

The numbers are higher with seachem and mix better than reefcrystal so i don't have to dose as much. I also don't get that brown junk in the container and cloudy stuff on the top when i mix.

The Propagator

Traded some acro frags for a bucket today from a buddy who has a coral green house locally.

We'll see.... :D

*fingers crossed*

Its got more potassium in it (which I like). you get your vibrant blues and reds from proper potassium.

So things should start popping even more in theory LOL!

Archived