SaltCritters.com

The Officially Unofficial Tank Contest

Weetabix7

by 'started' do you mean like 'working on it' [aka plumbing] or having water etc in it? wondering just because I have another tank I'm currently setting up and have to take down 3 others, then try to get this one going....

You have to buy a tank and take a pic by 9-17.

You have to have the tank started by 10-17.

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your entry pic is due next week 9/17 which is a photo of the tank to verify you are playing. At that point you're locked in and unless you have arranged with us prior, the ability to enter the contest is closed. You have one month to do all your mods, etc but the tank must have water in it on or before 10/17.

Everything can be purchased locally, but remember if you get some killer deals hold onto receipts to verify prices; no one wants to be DQ-ed because they cannot validate their budget.

Also what about free frags from people?

^^^^ Post 3,000 :happydance:

You can use free frags from people, BUT in order to keep it fair for everyone else they have to be deducted from the budget at the price they would sell for in the Livestock Classified here.

The same goes for frags you already have in existing systems that you decide to use.

I can help you figure out value for frags like this if you like.

I've bought and sold enough on here over the last two years that I have a fairly good feel for what stuff goes for.

I've also had a couple of people who recently started 5.5's or 10g's ask me if they could join the contest.

Here's the answer on that.

If your tank is still cycling right now, you can enter.

If you're past the cycle, you can't enter because it would give you too much of an advantage over the other contestants.

Weetie, might I suggest that you be in charge of evaluating the value of everyones corals to make it fair and consistant? I mean ones person idea of what is "market" price could be largly different than someone elses.

Maybe we should post out "themes" for the tank when the contest begins.

Weetie, might I suggest that you be in charge of evaluating the value of everyones corals to make it fair and consistant? I mean ones person idea of what is "market" price could be largly different than someone elses.

Maybe we should post out "themes" for the tank when the contest begins.

That's fine with me, like I said I've bought and sold enough on here to have a good idea of what stuff goes for.

As far as themes, some people want to keep it secret til they actually get the tank up and running.

If you want to state yours right away that's fine.

But you can also wait til the 10/17 date when it has to actually have water and LR in it and stuff.

Cool. I will go get my tank, right after this freaking hurricane blows over. If I lose my 40b in Ike I don't think I will be entering the contest after all :(

Cool. I will go get my tank, right after this freaking hurricane blows over. If I lose my 40b in Ike I don't think I will be entering the contest after all :(

We'll be praying for you and your family, and glennr too.

That would make it the best time to start a new tank. Plus you would have all the sand and rock you need :)

We'll be praying for you and your family, and glennr too.

Thanks, I don't want to jink him but it looks like he may be out of the woods. Its moving towards us now :angry:

That would make it the best time to start a new tank. Plus you would have all the sand and rock you need :)

<_<

Hello,

Hate to do it but I need it gone asap, I need the room and can't afford to take care of it anymore.

Here's what you get for $100.00 - I will not ship must pick up in H.B. Calif. 92647

10 gallon

150 Viper

ATO system

2 Aqua clear HOB

2 Korallia ones

Stealth 50 watt

Custom Nema electrical enclosure with battery back-up and all timers ect (mounts on wall next to tank)

All livestock-Pistol shrimp,clown,Xenias,mushrooms,ricordias ect ect.

stand

xtra corallife 28 watt 50-50 light.

PM me - 1st come first served. Give me your cell # and I will call you back asap- Looking to get rid of it Saturday the 13th of September.

You bring 2-5 gallon buckets and a truck and take it ALL.

This might start an explosion of whole systems offered for sale. smiley_popcorn.gif

It should be a rule you get everything from a few different places. Just sayin'.

Dang I wish I could get in on this, I dont have a spot for another tank at the house. Maybe the shop will let me set one up....in addition to our 5 other display nanos lol.

Great idea, cant wait to see ll the tanks!

We're trying to keep the number of rules to a minimum, so if you buy everything from one place that is up to you.

Weetie will be updating the first post in the thread with links to tank builds.

WHEN YOU START YOUR TANK BUILD THREAD FOR THIS CONTEST please note it by putting [contest] at the start of your thread. aka mine would read:

[Contest] Kmitch's 10 gal gunna whoop butt build

That way its easier for us to track the threads. Also please put your user name in the build thread title. Weetie will be making links to the threads so please PM her with your thread's link so she can add it.

K

I'd enter but there is no way my parents will allow another tank in the house! Between my dad and i we have 3 soon to be 4 once we get our qt setup. I'm probably going to upgrade or get halides within the next3 months so that's where all my cash is going right now.

We're trying to keep the number of rules to a minimum, so if you buy everything from one place that is up to you.

WHEN YOU START YOUR TANK BUILD THREAD FOR THIS CONTEST please note it by putting [contest] at the start of your thread. aka mine would read:

[Contest] Kmitch's 10 gal gunna crash n burn build

That way its easier for us to track the threads. Also please put your user name in the build thread title. Weetie will be making links to the threads so please PM her with your thread's link so she can add it.

K

FTFY :P

[Contest] Kmitch's 10 gal gunna whoop butt build

K

I was actually planning on putting "contest" in the second line of my tank title, I would think that would work just as well.

Ex. Weetie's Super Spiffy 5.5

An Officially Unofficial Contest Tank

Im game for the 5.5 id love to enter this one:) Also it has to be a stock 5.5 AGA? or can ya make on from your own materials? If the dimensions and volume are the same?

Im game for the 5.5 id love to enter this one:) Also it has to be a stock 5.5 AGA? or can ya make on from your own materials? If the dimensions and volume are the same?

You can mod it all you want, but you have to start with a stock tank.

(sheesh what am I sposed to do w/all these DIY geniuses, huh, huh???)

I'll add you to the list. :)

For anyone who's interested, this would be a good fixture for the tank contest:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...=156237&hl=

I've traded with him before, he's a good guy to work with.

You can mod it all you want, but you have to start with a stock tank.

(sheesh what am I sposed to do w/all these DIY geniuses, huh, huh???)

I'll add you to the list. :)

For anyone who's interested, this would be a good fixture for the tank contest:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...=156237&hl=

I've traded with him before, he's a good guy to work with.

Ok good deal thanks for the info Im sure you already posted that and i missed it just wanted to clarify

I'm not in the contest, but I saw nothing in the rules about plumbing it into a larger system. what if someone does this, will they be DQ'd?

the only way I could keep any smaller tank in my house from overheating would be to plumb it into my chilled sump from my other tank.

I'm not in the contest, but I saw nothing in the rules about plumbing it into a larger system. what if someone does this, will they be DQ'd?

the only way I could keep any smaller tank in my house from overheating would be to plumb it into my chilled sump from my other tank.

well, the budget limits that possibility, because you'd have to add the cost of that tank and its equipment to the cost of the contest tank.

Archived